The ultimate in comfort food, these Red Lobster creamy lobster mashed potatoes are a classic go to side dish for every special occasion.
Everyone loves these creamy lobster mashed potatoes and the recipe begins with an easy method for cooking potatoes in an Instant Pot.
It’s so easy to prepare and cook potatoes in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, no worries, you can easily boil your potatoes on the stove top.
At the same time, we bake Red Lobster style Lobster Tails in our oven to add to the mashed potatoes after cooking.
Our recipe differs from Red Lobster’s version as we have topped ours with Cajun butter sauce instead of its usual beurre blanc sauce.
This is due to personal preference, since the creamy Cajun butter sauce adds some heat without being overpowering. It is also a little lighter since the sauce isn’t made mostly of pure butter. It’s a flavorful gravy that we really enjoy with these lobster mashed potatoes.
We find it easy to prepare lobster mashed potatoes together with Red Lobster Salmon New Orleans with shrimp. The Cajun butter sauce is just perfect with both dishes at the same time! Win Win.
Although, if serving the lobster mashed potatoes with another entree, you can choose to make it with Cajun butter sauce or use a beurre blanc sauce recipe.
Content in this Post
Ingredients in Instant Pot Mash Potatoes
- Lobster — we use lobster meat from our lobster tails recipe,
- Potatoes — washed and peeled, red, white or yellow potatoes. Cut them into quarters or chop them down a little more if they are really large.
- Sour Cream — our preference is full fat sour cream, not low fat or light. Alternatively, you can use Turkish labneh (thick with similar taste to cream cheese) or plain Greek yogurt, store bought or from homemade Instant Pot yogurt.
- Milk — we use homogenized milk, for a creamier texture.
- Cream Cheese — full fat regular Philadelphia cream cheese is recommended to make this lobster mash extra creamy.
- Butter — salted or unsalted, you might need to add more salt if using unsalted.
- Salt — Himalayan, ground
Optional Ingredient Variations
Go ahead and add some fresh sprigs of dill into the water with the potatoes in the first step. Leave the dill sprigs whole or snip them into smaller pieces to impart more flavor.
After cooking, mash the dill together with the potatoes. Dill mashed potatoes are excellent with all your favorite dishes, especially curries and stews!
You can also add garlic clove minced, sliced or whole to the water in the first step, for garlic dill mashed potatoes or add only garlic for garlic mashed potatoes.
Equipment Needed for Instant Pot Mash Potatoes
We typically make this in a 6 quart Instant Pot. You can scale the recipe up or down for an 8 quart or 3 quart Instant Pot.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, that’s ok. Just Use a large pot on the stove top.
A hand held potato masher is recommended to have to easily mash the potatoes after cooking.
How To Make
You will love that these lobster mashed potatoes are so creamy and rich, and that they can’t be made any easier than this simple process in a pressure cooker.
It’s relieving to know that you won’t need to watch over the pot of potatoes to make sure they don’t boil over, like when in a pot on the stove top. If that’s ever happened to you, you know that it’s not fun to clean up that messy spill!
Well gone are those days – when you use your Instant Pot with it’s secure fitting lid and no baby-sitting necessary. Just set it and go about your other tasks while it’s on.
Until it beeps, you can focus on making a salad, chopping some vegetables or preparing any other food you need.
STEP 1 –
STEP 2 –
STEP 3 –
STEP 4 –
STEP 5 –
What to Serve With Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
These Instant Pot mashed potatoes are excellent with so many types of dishes.
It is perfect side dish for Thanksgiving, Christmas and other holiday meals that feature turkey, ham or roast beef, among other main courses.
You can serve this alongside any meat like steak or Instant Pot ribs, or with fish.
Some more Red Lobster inspired menus:
Keep your cooked mashed potatoes in the fridge for up to four days, however best consumed within two or three days. You can reheat them in an oven in an oven safe dish. Or you can put into a bowl and microwave for 45 seconds or so.
After reheating, you can add a tablespoon or more of milk (depending on the amount of potatoes), and an extra pat or so of butter, to stir in with the potatoes to make them creamy again. The mashed potatoes tend to dry out in the fridge.
With the extra addition of some milk and butter you will think they’re made fresh again.
You’ll Also Love
Try this amazing red lobster style lobster artichoke dip! It serves up as a perfect appetizer for your homemade seafood restaurant experience!
Red Lobster Creamy Lobster Mashed Potatoes
- 6 Potatoes, large, quartered or diced (about 10 cups)
- 1 teaspoon Salt, Himalayan
- ⅓ Cup Yogurt, Greek or use labneh or sour cream
- ⅓ Cup Milk, Whole milk
- ¼ Cup Cream Cheese, Philadelphia or similar
- ¼ Cup Butter
- 2 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Flour, All purpose
- ½ Teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- ½ Teaspoon Salt, Himalayan
- ¼ Teaspoon Pepper, Ground
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice, Freshly squeezed
- 1 Cup Milk, Whole milk
- ½ Cup Lobster Tails, Cooked (baked) and chopped
- Place quartered potatoes into Instant Pot. If large potatoes, you may need to chop them down a little more.
- Add 4 cups water or enough to barely cover the tops of the potatoes, and add the salt.
- Close the lid and set to sealing. Set Instant Pot to High Pressure for 8 minutes. Quick Release when complete.
- While the potatoes are cooking, start preparing the lobster sauce by heating the butter in a small sauce pan.
- When the butter is melted, add the flour and whisk until the flour is dissolved and there are no lumps.
- Add in the seasoning, salt, pepper, lemon juice and milk. Stir while bringing to a boil. Let simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Add in the lobster pieces and let simmer an additional 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- When the pressure is released on the Instant Pot, and it is safe to do so, carefully open the lid and drain the water. Add butter, milk, yogurt, cream cheese, then use a potato masher to mash the potatoes while mixing the ingredients.
- Give it a good stir for a creamy texture then transfer the mashed potatoes to a serving bowl. Pour over the lobster sauce and serve while warm.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.