This kebab sauce recipe (kebabsås) is inspired by Turkish doner kebab sauce and the perfect topping to drizzle over Swedish style kebab pizza.
This is a versatile kebab sauce recipe that you will find many uses for. It is restaurant style, just like the sauce used in those famous chicken pitas, but made with ingredients that are better for you.
This recipe uses dahi and labneh as healthy substitutes for sour cream and mayo. No one can tell the difference though, as the flavor is still top notch!
This is a very satisfying version that we love based on our memories of kebab sauce.
Content in this Post
Ingredients in Kebab Sauce
Our recipe substitutes dahi and labneh for sour cream and mayo. We add in some spices and hot sauces that make this one truly addictive sauce that goes with everything.
- Dahi — or homemade Instant Pot yogurt. We love the tang of dahi, but you can use any plain yogurt. *You can use sour cream instead if you prefer.
- Labneh — or Greek yogurt. We love labneh for it’s texture and flavor similar to cream cheese.
- Garlic — one clove, minced is a good amount for this recipe. You can add more or less to your preference or omit if you prefer.
- Hot Sauce — we added in some Frank’s red hot sauce because it is an easy way to add some heat, just a few shakes is all it takes.
- Hot Sauce — we also happened to have green Tabasco sauce, and since we love it so much, we added a few shakes of it.
- Italian Seasoning — add in some dry Italian seasoning blend.
- Doner Kebab Spice Blend (Kebabkrydda) — If you don’t have doner kebab spice, you can sub all purpose spice blend, or you can use taco seasoning.
- Sweet Chili Sauce — or sambal oelek
- Himalayan Salt — ground, enhances the flavors in this sauce.
- Pepper — use fresh ground black pepper or white pepper.
How To Make Kebab Sauce (Kebabsås)
Kebab sauce is super easy to make and worth the extra five minutes or so it takes to make this whenever pizzas are on the menu!
I don’t know how many times I’ve begun this recipe after the pita pizzas have gone in the oven.
The pizzas have a quick cook time of six minutes, but sure enough – the kebab sauce is ready in time!
And kebab pizza just wouldn’t be kebab pizza without kebab sauce.
It really can’t be simpler. Put all of your ingredients in a medium bowl, stir and voila! You have an amazing tasty sauce that goes well with so many dishes.
We have included two kinds of hot sauce in ours, because we were lucky enough to have both at the time, but if you only have one kind, that’s great! Make it easy on yourself. If we are really pressed for time we use garlic powder instead of the fresh garlic.
We have an extra pepper mill that we keep freeze dried garlic in. We use it to grind some garlic powder instead of fresh when we really want to save time.
Although, our other garlic hack (keeping peeled garlic cloves in the freezer) makes it almost just as fast to take out a clove and grate it into the kebab sauce.
You can use kebab sauce on top of meat pizzas as we have shown below, or in a number of recipes, like kebab roll and gyro or chicken pitas.
What to Serve With Kebab Sauce
Although it is most commonly served with kebab pizza, there are so many other pita pizzas that kebab sauce tastes great with.
You will also love chicken kebab pita pizza that is made similarly to kebab pita pizza with kebab sauce.
Try it with these favorites:
- Margherita Pita Pizza
- Artichoke Mozzarella Pita Pizza
- Clam and Kale Pita Pizza
- Sardine Tomato Pita Pizza
- Mackerel in Tomato Sauce Pita Pizza
We absolutely love kebab sauce as a marinade in marinated air fryer chicken wings. It’s a super easy recipe, just toss wings with kebab sauce to marinate and then into the air fryer. As you’d expect, the result is tender and juicy, perfectly spiced chicken wings.
This kebab sauce is perfect on chicken pitas with lettuce, tomato and onions. It is SO GOOD you will even want to dip your French fries in it.
Speaking of French fries, you’ll love this doner kebab plate (kebabtallrik) that is a perfect combo of doner kebab meat, air fryer French fries, crisp refreshing salad and kebab sauce.
And you’ll really knock it out of the park with this doner kebab poutine!
If you are limiting your carb intake, you will appreciate kebab salad (kebabsallad) with doner kebab meat on top of crisp lettuce, sliced cucumber, onion, tomatoes and kebab sauce.
We also love this satisfying and low carb kebab shop Turkish red cabbage salad for its versatility and stunning color!
There are a number of other salads that would taste great with kebab sauce as a dressing, especially salads with grilled vegetables or meat on top. If you have some leftover, you can try it on a salad with grilled chicken and avocado.
Time Saving Tips
You can make this ahead of time so you won’t need to make pita pizzas and kebab sauce at the same time. However, the recipe for kebab sauce doesn’t take very long so even if you forget to make it ahead of time, it’s still manageable. Make a double batch and enjoy it for several pizza dinners. You can even freeze some in portions to thaw out for later.
You can make your kebab sauce ahead the day before you need it. Store your leftover kebab sauce in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also freeze it in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
Best Uses for Leftover White Doner Kebab Sauce
Kebab sauce is extremely versatile and can enhance many meals.
We love extra kebab sauce on the side of favorite appetizers like doner kebab quesadilla and doner kebab poutine.
As mentioned, it’s perfect with air fryer chicken wings and don’t forget it as a dip sauce for chicken nuggets.
Kebab sauce is fantastic as a drizzle over top of doner kebab poutine or kebab pizza.
We also love it in crustless quiche doner kebab that we include in the recipe as well as on top!
It’s an easy and flavorful marinade for chicken breasts or chicken kebabs.
More Doner Kebab Shop Inspired Recipes
- Doner Kebab Salad Sandwich Mix (Kebabrora)
- Doner Kebab Poutine
- Doner Kebab Quesadilla
- Crustless Quiche Doner Kebab
- Doner Kebab Red Chili Sauce
- Doner Kebab Garlic Sauce
You’ll Also Love
Check out this easy doner kebab roll (kebabrulle) that you can make with Instant Pot doner kebab and kebab sauce for an amazingly tasty meal anytime!
Kebab Sauce (Kebabsås)
- ½ Cup Dahi, or sour cream
- ¼ Cup Labneh, or Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon Hot Sauce, Frank's
- ½ teaspoon Green Hot Sauce, Green Tabasco
- 1.5 tablespoons Sweet Chili Sauce , Rooster brand
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Doner Kebab Spice Blend (Kebabkrydda), sub all purpose or taco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- Add dahi (or plain yogurt) and labneh to a medium bowl.
- Mix well until thoroughly combined. Use a little more dahi for a thinner consistency if necessary.
- Add in remaining ingredients (grated garlic clove, the hot sauces, and all spices).
- Thoroughly mix to combine. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Serve with kebab pizza. Also perfect in chicken pitas with onion, tomato and lettuce.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.