Indulge your senses with this spectacular Red Lobster Crab Queso Dip made with real cheese, crabmeat and Pico de Gallo for that bursting at the seams flavor intensity.
This dip is a sight to behold.
It’s colorful in itself, with all of the queso ingredients plus tender chunks of sweet crab meat.
Then add to that a savory tomato, onion and cilantro salsa over top to make it even more enticing.
And, if that wasn’t enough flavor and stunning color, the tasty tricolor tortilla chips really put this over the top!
If a shop stopping appetizer is what you’re after, then look no further. This crab queso dip is sure to be a hit at your next get together.
We also love this milder but still excellent Red Lobster style parmesan crab dip.
Content in this Post
- Ingredients in Red Lobster Crab Queso Dip
- Why You’ll Love This Red Lobster Crab Queso Dip
- How To Make Red Lobster Crab Queso Dip
- STEP 1 – Make The Queso
- STEP 2 – Top With Crab and More Cheese
- STEP 3 – Bake the Crab Queso Dip
- STEP 4 – Top With Pico de Gallo and Crabmeat
- What To Serve With Red Lobster Crab Queso Dip
- More Red Lobster Copycat Dishes
- How To Store Red Lobster Crab Queso Dip
- You’ll Also Love
Ingredients in Red Lobster Crab Queso Dip
- Crab — crabmeat, canned or lump crabmeat, use the best quality you can find for best results.
- Cheese — shredded cheddar (mild, medium, sharp, smoked, or American) or marbled cheddar cheese will work well in this. You can also use other types or a combination of cheddar and different cheeses like Monterrey Jack, mozzarella, or pepper jack cheese. We shredded our cheese from a block of marbled cheddar cheese.
- Butter — you can use salted or unsalted, whichever you prefer.
- Green Onions — Thinly sliced green onions add flavor to this dish.
- Tomatoes — alternatively, sub Rotel tomatoes with chiles for this and the green chiles.
- Green chiles — canned, can sub jalapenos. Can omit if using Rotel tomatoes with chiles as suggested above.
- Cumin — ground cumin powder adds a savory element to this dish.
- Old Bay Seasoning — you can sub onion powder
- Flour — all purpose flour, to thicken the crab queso dip.
- Evaporated Milk — use canned, full fat evaporated milk, not low cal or light.
- Cilantro — fresh chopped cilantro is a welcome flavor boost.
- Pico de Gallo — use homemade or store bought Pico de Gallo for convenience.
- Tortilla Chips — regular tortilla chips or a colorful variety pack with blue corn, red corn and white corn tortilla chips. We love tricolor Que Pasa Organic Carnival Tortilla chips. Lime flavored tortilla chips are also delicious.
- Optional Dippers — such as crackers or prepared vegetables to go with the crab queso dip in addition to the tortilla chips.
Why You’ll Love This Red Lobster Crab Queso Dip
This queso dip is made with real cheese and not Velveeta or other similar cheese products that are typical of many queso recipes.
Plus, our crab queso dip recipe produces a larger amount than the restaurant so you’ll have more servings!
It’s quick and easy to make, you’ll be surprised at how simple it is.
It’s full of flavor and is the perfect addition to friend and family gatherings.
Not to mention, the crab queso dip presentation is visually stunning and will impress your guests.
How To Make Red Lobster Crab Queso Dip
STEP 1 – Make The Queso
Begin by melting the butter in a medium sized sauce pan on medium-low heat. Then add the green onions and fry them until they are soft (about 5 minutes)
Then add the garlic, chopped tomatoes, green chiles, and dry spices. Let sauté for an additional 5 minutes until the tomatoes are soft.
Next, in a small mixing bowl. mix the flour and evaporated milk by whisking it until the flour is completely dissolved. Then pour in the evaporated milk and flour mixture into the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil.
When the milk is boiling, add 3/4 of the cheese (reserve the rest for topping) and mix well. Let the cheese completely melt while stirring. Remove from heat as soon as the cheese has melted. Then add in the cilantro and half of the crab meat (reserve the rest for topping). Mix well.
STEP 2 – Top With Crab and More Cheese
Pour the crab queso mixture into an oven safe serving bowl. Top with the remaining crab meet and shredded cheese.
STEP 3 – Bake the Crab Queso Dip
Bake the queso dip in the oven for 5 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
STEP 4 – Top With Pico de Gallo and Crabmeat
When the dip is done baking, remove the dish from the oven. Top the Crab Queso Dip with Pico de Gallo and the remaining crab meat. Serve while warm with your favorite tortilla chips.
What To Serve With Red Lobster Crab Queso Dip
Red Lobster Crab Queso is the perfect appetizer for game night or any special gathering.
You can serve it along with several additional appetizers at once or it can function as a stand alone appetizer.
It’s an amazing beginning to a homemade seafood dinner menu. We love it with several tried and true menus that we prepare often.
Some of our favorite seafood dinner combinations to serve after crab queso dip appetizer are shown below.
Red Lobster Inspired Menu #1:
- Salmon New Orleans with Cajun Shrimp
- Lobster Mashed Potatoes (with Cajun Butter Sauce)
- Red Lobster Garlic Green Beans
Red Lobster Inspired Menu #2
Red Lobster Inspired Menu #3
More Red Lobster Copycat Dishes
Red Lobster Style Appetizers:
- Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- Escargot in Mushroom Caps
- Red Lobster Style Crab Pita Pizza
- Red Lobster Lobster Artichoke Dip
- Red Lobster Parmesan Crab Dip
Red Lobster Main Course:
- Red Lobster Lobster Tails
- Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi
- Red Lobster New Orleans Salmon With Shrimp and Cajun Butter Sauce
- Red Lobster Maple Glazed Salmon
Red Lobster Side Dishes:
- Red Lobster Lobster Mac and Cheese
- Red Lobster Lobster Mashed Potatoes
- Red Lobster Wild Rice Pilaf
- Red Lobster Garlic Green Beans
- Brussel Sprouts
- Lobster Bisque
How To Store Red Lobster Crab Queso Dip
You can store crab queso dip in the fridge for up to four days. This dip is quick to assemble so we usually make it on the same day it will be served.
But, you can conveniently prepare this the night before. Keep the Pico de Gallo in a separate dish in fridge, as well as the reserved crabmeat and use as toppings right before you serve.
Then, the next day, all you’ll need to do is heat the queso for fifteen minutes or so in the oven, safely remove and then add the reserved crab, tomato, onion and cilantro topping.
To reheat, transfer crab queso dip to an oven safe baking dish if it is not already in one. Tip: we like to use an oven safe baking dish that also functions as a serving dish.
You’ll Also Love
Speaking of super delicious Red Lobster inspired dips, this Lobster Artichoke Dip is another keeper! With delectable bites of lobster meat tucked under savory artichokes, this dip is sure to please.
Red Lobster Crab Queso Dip Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- ⅓ Cup Green Onion, sliced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- ½ Cup Green Chiles, canned
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin
- ½ Teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning, sub onion powder
- ½ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Flour, all purpose
- 1½ Cups Evaporated Milk
- 5 Cups Cheese, shredded, divided, reserve ¼ for topping
- ¼ Pound Crab Meat, canned, reserve half for topping
- ¼ Cup Cilantro, fresh, finely chopped
- ½ Cup Pico de Gallo, prepared or homemade, see below
- ½ Pound Tortilla Chips
Easy Pico de Gallo Topping
- 1 Tomato, diced
- 1 Tablespoon Red Onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon Green Onion, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed, or fresh lime juice
- Melt the butter in a medium sized sauce pan on medium-low heat.
- Add the green onions and fry them until they are soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, green chilies, and dry spices (cumin, Old Bay and cayenne). Let sauté for 5 minutes until the tomatoes are soft.
- Pour in the flour with the evaporated milk and whisk the mix until the flour is completely dissolved. Then pour in the flour and milk mix into the pan. Stir well.
- Bring the mix to a boil.
- Add ¾ of the cheese and mix well. Let the cheese completely melt while stirring. Remove from heat as soon as the cheese has melted.
- Add the cilantro and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Add half of the drained crab meat and stir again.
- Pour the crab queso mix into an oven safe bowl. Top with the rest of the shredded cheese. Bake in oven at 400°F for 5 min or until cheese is melted. While the queso is in the oven you can combine the ingredients for the Pico de Gallo topping.
- Once it's heated through, remove crab queso dip from oven. Top with the reserved crab meat and Pico de Gallo. Serve warm with your favorite tortilla chips. We like tricolor Organic Carnival Tortilla Chips.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.