A savory side dish, perfect with seafood dinner menus, these crispy Instant Pot Brussel sprouts will become your new favorite. Super easy as well as tasty and nutritious, these deliver in a big way.
These little bites are so good. Even if you’re not completely sold on Brussel sprouts, these will turn you into a fan!
We’ll admit, Brussel sprouts weren’t always our first choice of side dish. We just hadn’t really given them a chance.
We didn’t make them as often as other vegetables and when we did, they just didn’t wow us.
Although, after cooking them in the Instant Pot with seasoning, this vegetable dish has soared up the ladder.
The Brussel sprouts turn out perfectly cooked through, and the outer layers have a slight crisp and caramelization, that is accentuated by the flavorful seasoning.
They are actually really addictive. We had trouble saving enough to take these recipe pics, in fact!
I think it’s fair to say that these could be our preferred side dish, nowadays.
And with restaurant style seafood dishes like lobster tails and shrimp scampi, they’re a perfect choice!
They are inspired by Red Lobster crispy Brussel sprouts, although we do omit the fried onions, as per personal preference.
If we were to make these with fried onions, we would probably sprinkle on some ready made IKEA Supermarket fried onions, although we haven’t tried that.
They would also be sensational with the addition of crumbled maple glazed bacon that you could sprinkle on towards the end of pan frying.
Content in this Post
- Ingredients in Crispy Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts
- How To Make Crispy Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts
- STEP 1: Prepare Brussel Sprouts
- STEP 2: Pressure Cook in Instant Pot
- STEP 3: Fry in Skillet
- STEP 4: Turn Over the Brussel Sprouts
- STEP 5: Continue Frying in Skillet
- STEP 6: Transfer and Serve
- What To Serve With Crispy Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts
- More Red Lobster Inspired Side Dishes
- Storage Tips For Crispy Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts
- You’ll Also Love
Ingredients in Crispy Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts
- Brussel Sprouts — a pound of Brussel sprouts, preferably organic. Choose fresh and firm to the touch Brussel sprouts, free from any discoloration.
- Parmesan — freshly grated from a block of Parmigiano Reggiano is recommended for the best flavor.
- Garlic — two garlic cloves, peeled and minced fine.
- Olive Oil — cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil
- Seasoning — Old Bay, or similar, can sub all purpose seasoning.
- Salt — Himalayan pink salt, ground.
- Pepper — freshly ground black pepper.
Optional ingredient variations — prepared fried onions or crumbled maple glazed bacon can be sprinkled on toward the end of pan frying, in Step 5.
How To Make Crispy Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts
STEP 1: Prepare Brussel Sprouts
The first thing you’ll need to do is remove the outer layer of each Brussel sprout, if necessary and cut in half, as shown below. If you cut the Brussel sprout between the outer leaves there is less risk of the outer leaves breaking off.
Once that is done, you are ready to proceed.
STEP 2: Pressure Cook in Instant Pot
Place a cup of water in the Instant Pot, along with a trivet (metal or silicone). Place a steamer basket on top of the trivet.
Fill the basket with the cut Brussel sprouts, each with cut side facing up. Pressure cook at HIGH pressure, normal temp, for zero minutes. Quick release when done.
STEP 3: Fry in Skillet
Once the pressure cycle is completed, quick release the pressure and transfer the Brussel sprouts to a skillet. Add the olive oil to the pan and sprinkle half of the parmesan cheese, Old Bay seasoning and minced garlic on top of the Brussel sprouts. Let fry for 2 minutes on medium low temperature.
STEP 4: Turn Over the Brussel Sprouts
Turn over all of the Brussel sprouts.
STEP 5: Continue Frying in Skillet
Sprinkle the rest of the parmesan cheese, seasoning and garlic on top of them. Let fry for an additional 2 minutes.
STEP 6: Transfer and Serve
Transfer the Brussel sprouts to a serving dish or individual plates. Serve as a side dish to Shrimp Scampi or Lobster Tails.
What To Serve With Crispy Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts
Red Lobster inspired APPETIZERS:
- Escargot Stuffed Mushrooms
- Stuffed Mushroom Caps With Crabmeat
- Lobster Artichoke Dip
- Baked Parmesan Dip With Crabmeat
- Red Lobster Style Crab Pita Pizza
Red Lobster inspired MAIN COURSES:
More Red Lobster Inspired Side Dishes
- Instant Pot Wild Rice Pilaf (shown below)
- Garlic Green Beans
- Instant Pot Seasoned Broccoli
Storage Tips For Crispy Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts
Store raw Brussel sprouts in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, although you should try cook them as soon as possible, within a week of purchase as fresh is best.
You can keep cooked Brussel sprouts in the fridge, tightly sealed for up to three days, although it’s best to enjoy leftovers within a day or two for freshest flavor.
You’ll Also Love
Also perfect to go along with all of your favorite seafood dinners, try this easy Red Lobster copycat Instant Pot Wild Rice Pilaf!
Crispy Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts
- 1 pound Brussel Sprouts, halved
- 1 cup Broth
- 2 tablespoons Avocado Oil
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan, grated
- 1-½ teaspoon Seasoning, Old Bay or similar
- 1 teaspoon Salt, Himalayan
- 1 teaspoon Pepper, freshly ground
- Rinse and cut the Brussel sprouts in half.
- Pour one cup of water in the Instant Pot, add the trivet and place the Brussel sprouts in top. Pressure cook on HIGH pressure for zero minutes (set the timer to 0 and the Instant Pot will come to pressure and stop). Quick release when done.
- Add the avocado oil to a skillet. Transfer all the Brussel sprouts to the skillet.
- Sprinkle half of the rest of the ingredients on the Brussel sprouts. Sauté for two minutes.
- Turn the Brussel sprouts over and sprinkle the rest of the ingredients on them. Sauté for two more minutes.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.