Spoiler alert to your tastebuds – this tzatziki sauce for gyros and kebab is going to wow them! In this super easy recipe, thick and creamy Greek yogurt is enhanced with fresh and zesty bursts of flavors from lemon, cucumber and garlic.
We have fond memories of a Greek restaurant, overlooking the water at the marina.
They had the most fabulous tzatziki appetizer with super thick and creamy yogurt that had been strained for a longer time.
It was always served with cucumber slices, pita wedges and kalamata olives. The fresh garlic in it really took the appetizer over the top.
This tzatziki recipe takes us back to those times we had, dreaming of a trip to Greece.
Content in this Post
Ingredients in Tzatziki Sauce For Gyros And Kebab
- Greek Yogurt — Use plain full fat Greek yogurt, store bought or you can use our Instant Pot thick and creamy yogurt recipe. You’ll need to plan ahead for the Instant Pot yogurt recipe as it takes eight hours to make. However, it produces a large batch and you can use it for many recipes, perfect for breakfasts also.
- Cucumber — peeled and grated cucumber. Strain and pat dry to remove excess liquid if necessary. You don’t want the tzatziki sauce to be watery.
- Olive Oil — cold pressed extra virgin olive oil is recommended for the best flavor.
- Lemon Juice — freshly squeezed lemon juice will give this a zing!
- Garlic — peeled and finely minced garlic cloves, you can put them through a garlic press.
- Salt — Himalayan pink salt, ground is our preference.
How To Make Tzatziki Sauce For Gyros And Kebab
Tzatziki sauce (aka taziki) is super easy to make.
The first step is to peel and grate the cucumber.
Then peel and mince the garlic.
Juice the lemon.
Place all of the ingredients into a medium bowl.
Mix well to thoroughly combine. And that’s it!
Serve as a sauce for gyros and chicken souvlaki or as an appetizer dip with prepared vegetables, pita bread wedges and kalamata olives. Enjoy!
What To Serve With Tzatziki Sauce For Gyros And Kebab
It’s amazing as a sauce along with homemade gyro pita wraps and gyro plates with fries and salad.
Likewise, you can serve it along with homemade souvlaki pita wraps and souvlaki kebab plates with fries and salad.
If you’re minding carbs, this souvlaki salad with feta and tzatziki is a fabulous meal full of flavor and wholesome ingredients you’re sure to find irresistible!
The menus above might seem like a lot of work, but we make them regularly and they are really not as difficult as they seem. Rather easy, actually, with the use of Instant Pots.
Prepare the tzatziki and salads while the Instant Pot is on (and while the chicken souvlaki is in the oven).
That way, your Greek lunch or dinner will come together a lot quicker than you’d expect.
Tzatziki Sauce Storage Tips
Prepared tzatziki will last in the fridge for up to four days. Keep it tightly covered.
Although you can freeze tzatziki in a freezer safe container, keep in mind that the texture will likely change.
You’ll Also Love
Homemade Instant Pot Lamb Gyros taste amazing with tzatziki sauce!
Tzatziki Sauce For Gyros And Kebab
- 1 Cup Greek Yogurt, Full fat, thick and creamy plain yogurt
- 1 Cup Cucumber, peeled, seeded and grated
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil, cold pressed extra virgin
- 2 teaspoons Lemon , freshly squeezed
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Salt, Himalayan pink salt
- Place all of the ingredients into a medium bowl.
- Mix well.
- Serve with Instant Pot gyros, chicken souvlaki, horiatiki salad, Greek orzo salad with feta.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.