This canned tuna salad sandwich without mayo is a perfect option for a quick lunch to enjoy at home or to pack up and take along to school, work or a picnic.
Tuna salad is a favorite standby for a super fast lunch that will give you the energy you need for your busy day.
Convenient and easy to make, you will come back to this classic time and again.
We choose to make our recipe with labneh and sour cream, instead of mayo, to get a creamy and rich taste but with fewer calories and fat.
Content in this Post
Ingredients in Tuna Salad Sandwich Without Mayo (Tonfiskröra)
- Tuna — use canned light tuna
- Labneh — Turkish labneh is a thick yogurt that tastes similar to and spreads like cream cheese. We use it in place of mayo or cream cheese in many of our recipes. It is so versatile and we find it even more satisfying than the higher fat and calorie counterparts.
- Sour Cream — we use regular sour cream, not low fat or light.
- Dill — fresh dill, chopped fine or snipped with kitchen scissors.
- Lemon Juice — freshly squeezed lemon juice is preferred. If you like, you can add in some zest as well.
- All Purpose Seasoning — We use our all purpose seasoning blend that we always have made up and ready to go in many recipes. If you don’t have some, you can just add in roughly a quarter teaspoon each of paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Hot Sauce — we like Frank’s Red Hot sauce. If you don’t have it you can put in about an eighth teaspoon of cayenne.
Optional Garnishes With Canned Tuna Salad Sandwich
If you’d like to dress your sandwich up a bit, you can garnish your tuna salad sandwich with any of the following:
- cucumber slices
- lemon slices
- radish slices
- tomato slices
- cherry tomatoes
- red onion slices
- slice of Havarti cheese
What to Serve with Tuna Salad Sandwich
Tuna salad sandwich without mayo is perfect for your sandwiches on regular or low carb bread such as Carbonaut.
For another low carb alternative, you can serve the tuna salad sandwich in large lettuce leaves, try romaine or iceberg.
It’s a great filling for Lebanese style pita bread.
If you’re feeling festive, you can enjoy canned tuna salad sandwich filling as one layer of a Swedish style seafood sandwich cake (smörgåstårta).
Check out our list of must have Swedish grocery items for everything smörgås!
Best Uses For Leftover Tuna Salad
These are both delicious ways to enjoy tuna salad, to offer a change from the usual.
More Sandwich Fillings to Try
These sandwich fillings are all made similarly with labneh and sour cream instead of mayo.
They make a perfect quick lunch on their own or can be used altogether in a seafood sandwich cake (smörgåstårta), shown in pic above.
We have included four filling layers in our sandwich cake (tuna, egg, smoked salmon and shrimp) but you can pick your favorite four!
- Canned Salmon Salad Sandwich
- Smoked Salmon Salad Sandwich
- Egg Salad Sandwich
- Shrimp Salad Sandwich
- Crab Salad Sandwich
- Lobster Salad Sandwich
How To Store Tuna Salad Sandwich Without Mayo
Tuna salad sandwich can be stored in the refrigerator sealed in an air tight container for up to three days. We recommend enjoying it within a day or two for the freshest flavor.
Shelf stable cans of tuna can be stored for at least a year in your pantry. Be sure to check the expiry date on the can, just in case.
You’ll Also Love
Another classic, this IKEA shrimp sandwich is perfect for an elegant meal that is sure to impress. Easy to assemble, cold water shrimp, sliced egg and lettuce on low carb or regular bread comes together for a protein rich open faced sandwich.
Tuna Salad Sandwich Without Mayo (Tonfiskröra)
- 12 ounces Tuna, canned, drained
- ¼ Cup Labneh
- ¼ Cup Sour Cream
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- ¼ Cup Dill, fresh, snipped small
- ½ teaspoon Hot Sauce, Frank's Red Hot
- 1 teaspoon All Purpose Seasoning blend, *or use approximate amounts below
All Purpose Seasoning Blend
- ¼ teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
Bread and Toppings
- 8 slices Carbonaut Bread, or Carbonaut Bread Multigrain
- 1 Cucumber, sliced, optional
- Place contents of two drained tuna cans into a medium bowl.
- Add labneh and sour cream to the bowl with tuna.
- Follow with remaining ingredients (fresh dill, lemon juice, hot sauce, all purpose seasoning)
- Mix well until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Cover and store in fridge until ready to serve.
- Enjoy as a sandwich filling or as one layer of a sandwich cake (smörgåstårta).
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.