This Subway copycat meatballs pita pizza recipe with Instant Pot Italian meatballs and a drizzle of Southwest sauce is a super satisfying meal that your whole family will adore.
We love to make these pita pizzas because they are super filling, and just as satisfying as a meatball sub, if not more.
Plus, there are only about 40% of the carbs in the Lebanese style pita (32g) in comparison to Subway bread (80g).
When you can reduce the number of carbs by over half but not sacrifice any flavor you know you have a keeper!
In fact, these are so good, you’ll be craving pita pizzas instead of subs.
The flavor of the meatballs and sauce is enhanced since you don’t have all of that bread to hide them.
You can really savor this pizza and it’s sure to become a new favorite!
Content in this Post
- Ingredients in Subway Copycat Meatballs Pita Pizza Recipe
- How To Make Subway Copycat Meatballs Pita Pizza Recipe
- STEP 1: Prepare Baking Sheet and Add Sauce To Pizzas
- STEP 2: Arrange Meatballs and Toppings
- STEP 3: Top With Cheese
- STEP 4: Bake
- What To Serve With Subway Copycat Meatballs Pita Pizza Recipe
- Storage Tips for Subway Copycat Meatballs Pita Pizza Recipe
- More Easy Pita Pizzas
- You’ll Also Love
Ingredients in Subway Copycat Meatballs Pita Pizza Recipe
- Pita — you can use your favorite flatbread in this meatball pizza recipe. We love our pita pizzas on regular or whole wheat Lebanese style pitas for a perfect thin crust pizza.
- Meatballs — cooked, from Instant Pot Italian Meatballs and Sauce Subway Copycat Recipe. If you don’t have those, you can use leftover previously cooked meatballs from any recipe as well as cooked store bought meatballs. You can also make meatball pita pizzas with Instant Pot Swedish Meatballs (IKEA copycat).
- Mozzarella — shredded Mozzarella cheese or similar types of cheese (Cheddar, Provolone, Fontina, Monterrey Jack, Gouda, Havarti, Muenster as well as Feta and Halloumi). Fresh Mozzarella would be wonderful as well.
- Marinara Sauce — homemade or good quality store bought marinara sauce or you can sub pizza sauce. We like Victoria White Linen brand that we purchase from Costco.
- Onions — sliced onions, red, white or yellow. You can omit if you prefer.
- Pepper Flakes — optional, omit for kids.
- Southwest Hot Sauce — optional, to drizzle on top of pizzas after baking. We provide an easy recipe for an easy Southwest inspired hot sauce.
Optional Ingredient Variations — Before baking, you can add any other favorite toppings you like with your meatball sub, like sliced green or black olives, sliced green peppers or hot peppers.
After baking, you can top with a little shredded lettuce, if you usually like lettuce on your meatball sub.
You can also feel free to keep it simple with meatballs, sauce and cheese — you can’t go wrong!
How To Make Subway Copycat Meatballs Pita Pizza Recipe
STEP 1: Prepare Baking Sheet and Add Sauce To Pizzas
Preheat your oven to 425℉. Line an oven safe baking sheet with parchment paper (fold or cut parchment to fit sheet). Place two pitas on the parchment paper. Spread an even layer of marinara or pizza sauce on the pitas.
STEP 2: Arrange Meatballs and Toppings
You can choose to cut your meatballs in half as we have shown below, or keep them whole. They’ll stay in place if you cut them in half and place them cut side down.
Arrange the cut meatballs equally over the pizzas and add sliced onions, if using, and any other favorite toppings such as sliced olives or sliced green peppers.
STEP 3: Top With Cheese
Sprinkle on a generous amount of shredded mozzarella cheese or similar cheese. You can also shake on some hot pepper flakes evenly over the pitas if you like them!
STEP 4: Bake
Place the baking sheet with the pita pizzas into the preheated oven and bake for 7 minutes, or until the pizzas are heated through and the cheese is melted and bubbling. Stay close by to ensure the pizzas do not burn.
What To Serve With Subway Copycat Meatballs Pita Pizza Recipe
Serve meatball pita pizza with a salad, some favorites are Swedish pizza salad and Italian house style salad (Olive Garden copycat).
Asparagus cucumber tomato salad is another excellent choice to pair with meatball pizzas.
Storage Tips for Subway Copycat Meatballs Pita Pizza Recipe
Keep this in the fridge for up to three days, although bear in mind, the pizzas will taste best while freshest, within a day or two.
You can reheat on the stove top in a skillet on medium heat. Or you can place it on an oven safe baking sheet again, and return to oven for a few minutes until heated through.
If you choose to microwave the leftover pizzas for 30 seconds or so, the bread will likely soften although the flavor will still be good. If you don’t like the bread soft, try the stovetop or oven method to reheat.
More Easy Pita Pizzas
Pita pizzas are a favorite meal option at our house. We love that they are so quick and easy to make, provide all of the flavors while being nutritious.
There are so many types that although they follow roughly the same steps, it always feels like a completely different meal.
Many of them are super easy with canned, shelf stable ingredients like artichokes, clams, mackerel, crab, tuna and sardines.
Others are made with leftovers from previous easy Instant Pot dinners (doner kebab, gyros, butter chicken) since making pizzas is often the perfect way to enjoy leftovers!
Stock some cans, keep some basic pizza ingredients on hand and you can cook these wonderful pizzas at home and skip takeout or boxed grocery pizzas with higher carbs and trans fat.
- Doner Kebab and Kebab Chicken with Kebab Sauce — reminiscent of your favorite kebab shop, make these easy pizzas with homemade Instant Pot doner kebab meat or Instant Pot kebab chicken breast.
- Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken) — saucy, savory and creamy, this butter chicken pizza has everything you want in a flavorful curry pizza.
- Iskender Kebab with Kebab Sauce — spiced doner kebab meat, spicy pepper tomato sauce, melted cheese with a drizzle of savory kebab sauce. Simple yet extraordinary!
- Leftover Turkey Tikka Masala (sub leftover chicken) — rich tikka masala sauce provides the base for this amazingly flavorful pizza with savory toppings.
- Chicken Souvlaki — you’ll love this easy pizza made with easy chicken souvlaki kebab in oven, with fresh toppings, feta cheese and tzatziki.
- Gyros and Feta — a delicious pizza made with easy Instant Pot gyros, fresh toppings and feta cheese.
- Clam White Sauce and Red Sauce Clam — two different sauces, two amazing pizzas that are each made so conveniently with canned baby clams.
- Margherita and Fresh Mozzarella Artichoke — fresh mozzarella is seriously good on each of these pizzas! Fresh garlic, fresh basil, canned artichoke hearts are super delicious pizza toppings you can’t go wrong with!
- Date Arugula Goat Cheese — this pizza has a surprise of bacon under the arugula, as well as savory pomegranate molasses.
- Red Lobster Style Crab Pita Pizza — A classic favorite with fresh basil, diced tomatoes, garlic and melted butter with crabmeat and lobster meat is sure to please.
- Crab Melt and Tuna Melt — quick and easy, yet super satisfying, these are savory pizzas that will save you from take out or grocery style boxed pizzas.
- Mackerel in Tomato Sauce and Sardine in Tomato Sauce — more simple pizzas with nutrient rich fish that are not only easy to prepare, but taste good (fish is mixed in with the tomato sauce)!
- Ultimate Cheeseburger Pita Pizza — shown below
You’ll Also Love
Ultimate Cheeseburger Pita Pizza with copycat Big Mac sauce.
This pizza with Instant Pot ground meat and shredded lettuce, tomatoes and pickles is a real treat.
It’s especially nice the next day for lunch, also excellent when served cold!
Subway Copycat Meatballs Pita Pizza Recipe
- 2 Pita
- ½ Cup Marinara, sub pizza sauce
- 12 Meatballs
- ¼ Cup Onions, sliced, optional
- 2 Cups Mozzarella, shredded, sub other shredded cheeses
- 1 teaspoon Hot Pepper Flakes, optional
Southwest Sauce (Optional)
- 1 tablespoon Labneh, or Greek yogurt, can use mayo if preferred
- 3 tablespoons Sour Cream, or plain yogurt, can use ranch dressing if preferred
- ½ tablespoon Adobo in Sauce, canned, can substitute hot sauce if you don't have this
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar, or distilled vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425℉. Cut or fold parchment paper to fit an oven safe baking sheet. Place two pitas on top.
- Distribute marinara or pizza sauce evenly among pitas.
- Place meatballs (cut in half) cut side down on the pizzas.
- Add thinly sliced onions to the pitas. Here you can also add any other toppings you like, such as sliced olives, hot peppers, sliced green peppers, etc.
- Sprinkle on a generous layer of shredded mozzarella cheese or similar cheese.
- Optionally, you can sprinkle hot pepper flakes evenly among the pizzas. Place the baking sheet with the pizzas into the preheated oven for 6-7 minutes, or until the pizzas are heated through with cheese melted and bubbling (while pizzas are cooking it's a good time to mix up the ingredients for Southwest Sauce if using). Stay nearby to ensure the pizzas do not burn. Drizzle with a little Southwest sauce and sprinkle with a little shredded lettuce, if desired.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.