This spicy canned tuna sushi roll uramaki is made with an easy tuna salad mix, a variety of fresh toppings and a drizzle of homemade spicy sriracha mayo sauce.
We have fond memories of a sushi boat restaurant that would serve sushi on little plates that would literally float on a little canal that ran along the sides of all of the tables in the restaurant.
The chef who made the sushi stood in the center and as she prepared the sushi, she placed the freshly made sushi on plates and put them on the water to float past the diners.
Whenever the canned spicy tuna sushi would float on down, we could never pass it up.
We have based this one on our memories of that roll made with canned tuna and spicy mayo.
It is a truly irresistible sushi roll, a flavorful combination of familiar ingredients wrapped into a delightful roll. It’s also perfect for someone who would like to try sushi but dislikes raw fish.
You can omit or substitute some of the toppings if you prefer, it is a fairly flexible recipe.
Content in this Post
- Ingredients In Spicy Canned Tuna Sushi Roll Uramaki
- Ingredients In Tuna Mix
- How To Make Spicy Canned Tuna Sushi Roll Uramaki
- STEP 1: Make The Tuna Mix
- STEP 2: Spread Sushi Rice on Nori Sheet
- STEP 3: Spread Tuna Mix on Nori
- STEP 4: Add Vegetables and Cream Cheese
- STEP 5: Roll it Up
- STEP 6: Cut in Pieces
- STEP 7: Garnish Spicy Canned Tuna Sushi Roll Uramaki
- What To Serve With Spicy Canned Tuna Sushi Roll Uramaki
- More Easy Homemade Sushi Rolls
- Storage Tips For Spicy Canned Tuna Sushi Roll Uramaki
- You’ll Also Love
Ingredients In Spicy Canned Tuna Sushi Roll Uramaki
- Sushi Rice — from failproof Instant Pot sushi rice recipe
- Nori Sheet — nori sheets, from Asian grocery stores or well stocked aisles of your local grocery store.
- Tuna Mix — (see below) can use leftover from tuna salad sandwich recipe
- Bell Pepper — slice in strips
- Cucumber — slice cucumber in long strips
- Avocado — ripe avocado, sliced, keep covered to prevent from browning. Slice when ready to use.
- Cream Cheese — regular Philadelphia cream cheese, not low fat or light, cut into long strips.
- Sriracha — prepared sriracha sauce to include inside the roll, with the vegetables and cream cheese, if desired.
- Spicy Mayo — from sriracha sushi dipping sauce without mayo recipe
Ingredients In Tuna Mix
- Canned Tuna — canned flake light tuna, drained.
- Labneh — Turkish yogurt cheese, with flavor and texture similar to cream cheese, you can substitute mayo if you prefer.
- Sour Cream — regular sour cream, not light or fat free. Can substitute mayo if desired.
- Lemon Juice — fresh pressed lemon juice.
- Hot Sauce — a little Frank’s red hot, or sriracha added to the mix for a little kick.
- Salt — Himalayan pink salt, ground.
How To Make Spicy Canned Tuna Sushi Roll Uramaki
STEP 1: Make The Tuna Mix
Place the ingredients for the tuna mix in a medium bowl.
STEP 2: Spread Sushi Rice on Nori Sheet
The next step is to spread sushi rice on the nori sheet. We have developed a technique that you may find useful. Otherwise, you can use your preferred method for distributing the rice onto the nori.
Due to the stickiness of the sushi rice, we find it easier to use two plastic sheets, cut two squares from large Ziplock bag.
In Step 1 below, place a half a cup of sushi rice in between the two plastic sheets. Step 2 shows flattened rice that you will need to use your hands or a spoon or kitchen tool like spatula to flatten the rice. We find that flattening the rice with hands is easiest. In the third step you can remove the top sheet. Then add the nori as shown in the fourth step. Trim the excess rice with a knife. Finally, the last pic shows the difference between uramaki and maki. Since we are making uramaki sushi, follow the first half of the image with the rice facing DOWN and the nori sheet face UP.
STEP 3: Spread Tuna Mix on Nori
With the rice on the bottom, facing down. Spread prepared tuna mix evenly on the nori sheet.
STEP 4: Add Vegetables and Cream Cheese
Add toppings, sliced vegetables of choice and cream cheese. Optionally, you can add a line of sriracha sauce.
STEP 5: Roll it Up
Transfer the sushi, with the bottom plastic sheet, onto a bamboo sushi mat. Carefully roll up tightly, using the bamboo mat to tighten.
STEP 6: Cut in Pieces
If necessary, trim the ends off if flimsy. Then cut the sushi roll into equal pieces, about half an inch wide.
STEP 7: Garnish Spicy Canned Tuna Sushi Roll Uramaki
Transfer the cut sushi rolls to a serving plate and garnish the sushi using yellow and black sesame seeds. Drizzle a line or two of Spicy Sriracha Sushi Dipping Sauce Without Mayo.
What To Serve With Spicy Canned Tuna Sushi Roll Uramaki
Spicy Tuna rolls are typically served with wasabi, soy sauce or tamari, homemade spicy mayo sauce and pickled ginger.
You can serve miso soup and seaweed salad (wakame) with homemade spicy canned tuna sushi rolls, if desired.
If you’d like, additional dishes like Japanese potstickers (gyoza), and chicken or beef teriyaki are excellent choices.
And, of course, feel free to make more homemade sushi rolls to go with spicy canned tuna sushi roll uramaki.
More Easy Homemade Sushi Rolls
- Canned Salmon Sushi Roll Uramaki
- Creamy Gravlax Salmon Sushi Uramaki Roll
- Shrimp Sushi Roll Uramaki
- Canned Crabmeat Sushi Maki Roll
- Gravlax Salmon Maki Sushi Roll
- Gravlax Salmon Sushi Roll Uramaki (shown below)
Storage Tips For Spicy Canned Tuna Sushi Roll Uramaki
You can keep prepared canned tuna sushi rolls in the fridge for up to three days, however, the sushi rice will harden over time and it’s best enjoyed within a day or two.
You’ll Also Love
Try this gravlax salmon sushi roll uramaki.
Another perfect way to enjoy IKEA smoked salmon gravlax, as part of a smoked salmon uramaki sushi roll
Spicy Canned Tuna Sushi Roll Uramaki
- 1 Cup Sushi Rice
- 2 Nori Sheets
- 6 ounces Tuna, 1 can
- ⅛ cup Labneh
- ⅛ cup Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- ½ teaspoon Hot Sauce , Sriracha or Franks Red Hot
- ½ teaspoon Salt
Vegetables and Toppings
- ¼ cup Bell Pepper
- ¼ cup Cucumber
- ¼ cup Avocado
- ¼ cup Cream Cheese
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha, optional, inside the roll
- 1 tablespoon Spicy Mayo, drizzle on top of sushi roll
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, garnish
- Add all of the tuna mix ingredients to a medium bowl.
- Mix well.
- Spread sushi rice on the nori sheet. We have outlined a method that involves flattening the rice using two sheets of plastic cut from a large Ziplock bag to help with the stickiness of rice issue. See diagram if you'd like to try our method, otherwise you can use your preferred method for distributing the sushi rice evenly on the nori.
- With rice side down, spread tuna mix evenly on top of nori sheet.
- Arrange vegetables, cream cheese and some sriracha sauce on the bottom portion of the nori sheet.
- Carefully transfer the nori sheet with tuna mix and vegetables over top of a bamboo sushi mat. Use sushi bamboo mat to roll the sushi roll up tightly.
- Once your roll is made, use a sushi knife or thin serrated knife to cut the tuna roll into equal pieces, about a half inch each.
- Drizzle each piece with homemade spicy mayo and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.