This savory dish is inspired by labneh balls in olive oil and spices that tastes like an extra special savory cream cheese. Spread labneh dip on toast and let the bread soak up the olive oil and oregano for the ultimate quick snack.
Serving labneh as a spread is a very quick alternative to labneh balls, but tastes similar to those. This easy preparation requires three super quick steps, and saves the time it takes to make labneh balls, but still satisfies much the same.
Of course, if you have time to strain the labneh further to acquire the cheesier texture, it is definitely worthwhile to do so. But if you are short on time and looking for a fast take on it, this is a great option.
The labneh with oil and oregano can be scooped up and spread on toast or bread in the same way. It’s great with cucumber slices, bell peppers and you can dip olives in it too.
Content in this Post
Ingredients Used in Labneh Dip
- Labneh — Turkish labneh, or you can try Greek yogurt but the texture won’t be the same
- Olive Oil — cold pressed extra virgin recommended, to drizzle over the dip
- Oregano — dried, to sprinkle on top of dip
- Olives — for serving, also excellent with vegetables and pita bread wedges
OPTIONAL TOPPINGS — You can place some kalamata olive tapenade, homemade or store bought, on top of your labneh dip appetizer. For another variation, try some chopped sundried tomato pesto!
Labneh Dip as Lunch, Appetizer or Side Dish
It is great complement to many pita bread sandwiches. Add lettuce or tabouli, meat or falafel and pickles for a quick and filling lunch. The mix and match options are virtually endless.
I’ve had many sandwich variations with pita bread and labneh plus whatever I have as leftovers that need to be used up.
It’s an unbelievably simple appetizer.
Just add Turkish labneh to a plate or shallow serving dish, drizzle with extra virgin cold pressed olive oil, sprinkle with oregano and serve with some pita bread and olives.
If you like more flavor, you can top it with optional flavorings like kalamata olive tapenade.
Or if you’d rather, you can add some to a sandwich. We incorporate labneh in so many recipes, especially in sandwiches.
Try it in your sandwich mixes, like egg salad, tuna salad, salmon salad, shrimp salad, and smoked salmon salad. You can even use labneh to make our mega seafood sandwich cake (smorgastarta) that uses all of those mixes!
You can also use labneh as a substitute for mayo or sour cream in many dishes, as in:
- Spicy Bell Pepper Nachos with Quinoa Black Bean Mix
- Deliciously Easy Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip
- All of our delicious and easy Sandwich Recipes
You can’t go wrong with labneh. And since we’ve started buying it regularly, we can’t ever seem to have enough of it.
If you have labneh in your fridge, you can make this convenient snack anytime.
It’s a perfect last minute appetizer or snack and is appropriate for any occasion!
More Easy Vegetarian Appetizers
- Fava Bean Hummus Dip
- Instant Pot Green Goddess Hummus
- Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Instant Pot Baba Ganoush (pictured below)
You’ll Also Love
If you’d like another ultra satisfying appetizer, just chop some eggplant cubes and cook them quick in your Instant Pot for an easy and tasty preparation of a crowd favorite!
Smooth and Creamy Labneh Dip (Yogurt Spread)
- 1 cup Labneh, or Greek Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil, cold pressed extra virgin
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
OPTIONAL TOPPING VARIATION #1
- ¼ Cup Olive Tapenade, store bought or homemade
OPTIONAL TOPPING VARIATION #2
- ¼ Cup Sundried Tomato Pesto, store bought or homemade
- Spread one cup of Turkish labneh evenly onto a plate. Use a spoon to make a circular pattern in the labneh for the olive oil to settle into.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle oregano on top. Optionally, top with your choice of either olive tapenade or sundried tomato pesto.
- Serve with olives, vegetables and pita bread wedges. Spread on toast and let the olive oil soak into the bread for an extra special treat.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.
Here Are Some Other Recipes From Our Collection