You can enjoy this IKEA style smoked salmon gravlax salad in a snap and it’s a perfect choice for an elegant and tasty meal that’s low in carbs and rich in omegas and protein.
This smoked salmon (aka gravad lax) is on our menu every time we visit an IKEA Restaurant.
We always look forward to this smoked salmon plate. It’s really one of the highlights of our trips to IKEA.
The furniture might be tricky to assemble at times, but do you know what isn’t?
This salmon salad.
It’s super easy, in fact.
You can easily enjoy a homemade version that is nearly identical to IKEA’s recipe.
It’s especially simple when you can find a prepared blend of field greens for your salad. Place the mixed greens on your plate with some thawed smoked salmon gravlax.
In Sweden, smoked salmon is commonly enjoyed with mustard dill sauce (IKEA brand is called Sås Mustard & Dill). You can serve it with or without mustard dill sauce, it’s up to you.
At our last trip to IKEA, the IKEA supermarket was sold out of this mustard dill sauce, so we needed to make our own.
Luckily, it’s another very simple recipe.
You can easily assemble smoked salmon gravlax salad, with a homemade mustard and dill sauce (senap och dillsås).
If you are watching your carb intake, you may want to reduce or omit the mustard dill sauce as it contains sugar. It has such an intense flavor that you can get away with having just a small amount of it.
Content in this Post
- Ingredients in Smoked Salmon Gravlax Salad
- How To Make Smoked Salmon Gravlax Salad
- What To Serve With Smoked Salmon Gravlax Salad
- Preparation and Storage Tips
- More Easy Smoked Salmon Gravlax Recipes
- Best Uses for Leftover Smoked Salmon Gravlax Salad
- More Swedish Salad Recipes
- More IKEA Copycat Recipes
- You’ll Also Love
Ingredients in Smoked Salmon Gravlax Salad
- Smoked Salmon (Gravlax) — smoked salmon in a thawed package from IKEA or your local grocery store’s frozen food aisle. Or you can substitute lox.
- Field Greens Salad Mix — washed and dried, includes a variety of greens; organic baby lettuces, organic baby greens such as green and red chard, green and red kale, mizuna, arugula, frisée and radicchio. Can also use similar mesclun salad mix.
- Mustard and Dill Sauce — store bought from IKEA or you can make your own using honey mustard and fresh chopped dill.
- Lemon — fresh cut wedges or slices of lemon is perfect as a garnish and to squeeze the fresh lemon juice over top of the smoked salmon and greens, if you like.
How To Make Smoked Salmon Gravlax Salad
You won’t need an Allen key for this assembly.
All you need to do is thaw a package of smoked salmon gravlax.
If you have an IKEA close by, you can find some cured and cold-smoked salmon Atlantic salmon (salmo salar) available in the frozen section of an IKEA Supermarket.
We love to go to IKEA, order this meal in IKEA’s restaurant and then purchase smoked salmon and mustard dill sauce in IKEA’s supermarket to enjoy again another day!
Smoked salmon can usually be found in similar packages, usually flat, in the frozen food aisle at local grocery stores.
The flat packaging makes it quick to thaw out. Once thawed, carefully remove the slices of gravlax and place them on a plate.
Add washed and dried spring salad mix made of a variety of field greens. Many grocery stores have prepared greens that are an ideal blend to serve with this smoked salmon plate. Check the best before date on the package and also look close to ensure that the salad greens are fresh and not wilted.
At an IKEA Supermarket you can usually find a jar of Sås Mustard & Dill, the sauce that is shown in the picture. In Swedish, mustard and dill sauce translates to senap och dillsås.
If you can’t find this, a really easy substitute or hack, is to purchase some honey mustard and stir in some finely chopped fresh dill.
Garnish with some fresh lemon wedges or slices that you can use to add some fresh lemon juice to the salmon and salad.
What To Serve With Smoked Salmon Gravlax Salad
This smoked salmon salad plate is a hearty meal in itself but if you’d like more to go with it, you can serve with buttered multigrain crisp bread crackers (knackebrod).
The meal would pair nicely with a soup, a light and creamy seafood chowder or a vegetable soup would be great choices.
When we visit IKEA, we usually enjoy smoked salmon gravlax salad with IKEA meatballs and IKEA shrimp sandwich. We often try the soup of the day.
So we are able to easily serve this combination of Swedish dishes at home any time.
The Swedish meatballs are also available in IKEA’s supermarket. IKEA also sells salmon meatballs, pea protein based plant balls and veggie balls.
We like to make our Swedish meatballs from scratch, though, but we do purchase these occasionally to stock our freezer.
This ultra creamy IKEA style shrimp salad sandwich requires cold water shrimp that you can also purchase in IKEA’s supermarket.
This smoked salmon gravlax salad is excellent to serve along with any of the following Swedish sandwiches (without mayo):
- Shrimp Salad (Räkröra)
- Smoked Salmon Salad (Laxröra)
- Canned Salmon Salad (Laxsallad)
- Tuna Salad
- Shrimp Mix (Skagenröra)
- Crab Salad
- Swedish Meatball and Creamy Pickled Beet (Köttbullemacka)
- Lobster Salad (Hummersallad)
- IKEA Shrimp Sandwich
- Toast Skagen Shrimp Toast
- Gubbröra — We’ve saved the best for last, this superb mix of anchovy, egg, potato and caviar (optional). Especially if you are a fan of Jansson’s Temptation Frestelse, you should give this a try! Make it even more tempting when you serve gubbrora on top of buttered toast just as in toast skagen.
Preparation and Storage Tips
This dish is best served fresh, the same day you thaw out your smoked salmon. You can store thawed gravlax in your refrigerator for about a week.
To save time, you can prepare these plates, cover each with plastic cling wrap and place in the fridge until they’re needed. Much like IKEA does, they will stay fresh if covered and kept cool.
However, we like to enjoy them within a day or two, as with much of our seafood.
More Easy Smoked Salmon Gravlax Recipes
If you like easy but slightly more challenging smoked salmon recipes, give these a go!
There’s a Smoked Salmon Salad Sandwich (Laxröra) you can make that is delicious on regular or low carb bread, or in a baguette.
You can also use IKEA smoked salmon gravlax to make amazing sushi recipes! We love the three options below.
- Creamy Gravlax Salmon Roll Uramaki Roll (pictured sixth roll from the top)
- Gravlax Salmon Sushi Roll Uramaki (pictured front)
- Gravlax Salmon Maki Roll (pictured fourth roll from the top)
Best Uses for Leftover Smoked Salmon Gravlax Salad
If you have leftover smoked salmon gravlax, you can use the gravlax in any smoked salmon recipes. Try it in this deliciously creamy yet light smoked salmon salad sandwich.
For breakfast and brunch ideas, try scrambled eggs with gravlax or smoked salmon eggs benedict.
Hosting a get together? Smoked salmon dip and smoked salmon cream cheese pinwheels make scrumptious appetizers!
More Swedish Salad Recipes
- Creamy Pickled Beet (Rödbetssallad) perfect on this meatball sandwich!
- Swedish Pizza Salad (Pizzasallad) that is perfect along with our easy and flavorful pita pizza recipes.
More IKEA Copycat Recipes
- Instant Pot Swedish Meatballs
- Shrimp and Egg Sandwich (Raksmorgas) — Shown below, this is the classic shrimp sandwich with hard cooked eggs and delectable cold water shrimp.
- Toast Skagen Shrimp Toast
You’ll Also Love
It’s so easy to assemble this shrimp sandwich (IKEA copycat) with sliced egg, a dollop of cream sauce with delectable cold water shrimp piled high on top!
Smoked Salmon Gravlax Salad
Smoked Salmon Gravlax sallad
- 4 Cups Mixed Greens, mesclun, washed
- 7 ounces Smoked Salmon, gravad lax, gravlax
- 4 wedges Lemon
Mustard Dill Sauce Senap Dillsås – IKEA Copycat recipe
- ¼ Cup Honey Mustard,
- 1 tablespoon Dill, chopped fine
- ½ teaspoon Hot Sauce, optional
- Thaw a package of smoked salmon (gravlax). Carefully remove the smoked salmon slices and place them on individual plates. IKEA's gravlax comes with eight slices, place two slices on each plate to serve four.
- Place a handful, about a cup or more, of mesclun or spring mix (mixed greens) on each plate next to the smoked salmon (gravad lax).
- Garnish each plate with fresh lemon wedges and serve with mustard dill sauce on the side.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.