This skillet shrimp tikka masala (aka jhinga tikka masala) is an amazing combination of perfectly cooked shrimp in a popular savory spiced tomato curry sauce.
Tikka masala sauce is an extremely flavorful curry with an amazing blend of spices with tomato, onions, ginger and garlic that is hard to beat.
It tastes incredible and you can serve the sauce with seafood, as well as with chicken and other meat, or paneer.
The first dish we tried was the more well known chicken tikka masala at a restaurant and that is probably the one to blame for the start of our curry obsession. 🙂
We love this tikka masala sauce so much and we make a similar leftover turkey tikka masala pita pizza.
Serving tikka masala with shrimp elevates the dish for us as we like to enjoy seafood as more of a special occasion.
It is so easy that you can make it on a week night, although we usually reserve it for a weekend dinner.
Content in this Post
- Skillet Shrimp Tikka Masala Ingredients
- What is Shrimp Tikka Masala (Jhinga Tikka Masala)?
- How To Make Skillet Shrimp Tikka Masala
- STEP 1-2: Mix the Spices
- STEP 3-4: Marinate the Shrimp
- STEP 5-6: Fry the Onions, Ginger and Garlic
- STEP 7: Cook the Shrimp
- STEP 8: Add the Onion Mix
- STEP 9: Add the Tomatoes
- STEP 10: Stir Well
- STEP 11: Cover and Let Simmer
- STEP 12: Serve and Enjoy
- What To Serve With Skillet Shrimp Tikka Masala
- Preparation and Storage Tips
- You’ll Also Love
Skillet Shrimp Tikka Masala Ingredients
- Shrimp — 12 oz white shrimp, fresh or frozen, raw, peeled, deveined and tailless.
- Tomatoes — crushed tomatoes, we like San Marzano
- Onions — diced onions, red, yellow or white
- Tomato Paste — use canned tomato paste
- Garlic — two cloves, peeled and minced
- Ginger — one inch piece, peeled and grated
- Garam Masala — blend of common Indian spices, you can make your own or use store bought.
- Cumin — ground
- Coriander — ground
- Turmeric — ground
- Salt — Himalayan pink salt, ground
- Chili Powder — Kashmiri chili powder, a little goes a long way.
- Fenugreek — dried fenugreek leaves, optional but recommended for flavor, about a tablespoon
- Cinnamon — cinnamon powder, optional, but adds to the flavor palette.
- Labneh — a few tablespoons, optional, but adds a nice creaminess to the sauce at the end of cooking. Substitute Greek yogurt, or heavy cream if desired.
What is Shrimp Tikka Masala (Jhinga Tikka Masala)?
How To Make Skillet Shrimp Tikka Masala
STEP 1-2: Mix the Spices
Combine the spices in a large bowl (large enough to hold the shrimp as well).
STEP 3-4: Marinate the Shrimp
Add the shrimp to the bowl with spices and mix well until the shrimp is evenly coated with the spices.
STEP 5-6: Fry the Onions, Ginger and Garlic
In a fry pan on the stove top, fry the diced onions, minced garlic and ginger for a few minutes until they become translucent. Remove to a separate bowl and set aside.
STEP 7: Cook the Shrimp
Place the marinated shrimp with the spices, into the fry pan. Fry the shrimp for 3 minutes on medium-low temperature. Then, turn the shrimp over and fry for an additional 3 minutes, until the shrimp are opaque.
STEP 8: Add the Onion Mix
You can choose to puree the onion, garlic and ginger in a food processor, to add back in to the dish as a smooth paste, or keep the onions in their diced form. It’s up to you, both ways are delicious.
STEP 9: Add the Tomatoes
Pour in the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste.
STEP 10: Stir Well
Give it all a good mix. At this point you can choose to add in two or three tablespoons of labneh (or you can sub Greek yogurt, coconut milk or heavy cream) for a creamier sauce. Make sure it is well mixed in.
STEP 11: Cover and Let Simmer
Put a lid on and allow to simmer for about five minutes on medium low temperature. Careful not to overcook the shrimp.
STEP 12: Serve and Enjoy
Remove from heat and transfer to a serving dish. Serve shrimp tikka masala (jhinga tikka masala) with basmati rice, naan and your favorite vegetable, meat and seafood curries.
What To Serve With Skillet Shrimp Tikka Masala
Skillet shrimp tikka masala is perfect with basmati rice, biryani as well as naan or roti. Indian style breads are perfect to use to pick up the amazing curry sauce.
You can serve any combination of the following, as well as any other favorite vegetable, meat or seafood curries:
- Instant Pot Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken) (shown below)
- Instant Pot Basmati Rice
- Instant Pot Eggplant Curry With Bell Peppers
- Instant Pot Mango Chicken Curry
- Instant Pot Fenugreek Chicken (Methi Murgh)
- Bhindi Masala Okra Curry
- Instant Pot Chana Masala Chickpeas Stew
- Lemon Dill Raita or Easy Cucumber Raita
- Instant Pot Chana Dal With Spinach
- Instant Pot Potato Masala With Beets
Preparation and Storage Tips
You can keep prepared shrimp tikka masala in your refrigerator tightly sealed for up to three days.
To freeze, store this in a freezer safe container or freezer safe Ziplock bag, tightly packed without air.
You’ll Also Love
Instant Pot Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken) is another classic Indian style dish with an irrisistable curry sauce.
Skillet Shrimp Tikka Masala
- 12 ounces White Shrimp, raw, frozen, deveined and tailless
- 2 teaspoons Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon Cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon Coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Salt, Himalayan
- ¼ teaspoon Chili Powder, Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Fenugreek Leaves, dried, optional
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon, ground, optional
- 1 cup Red Onions, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 inch Ginger, grated
- 14 ounces Crushed Tomatoes, we use San Marzano type
- ¼ cup Tomato Paste, canned
- 3 tablespoons Labneh, optional for creamier sauce, sub Greek yogurt, heavy cream or coconut milk
- Thaw the shrimp in a bowl of fresh cold water. Pat dry with a paper towel when thawed.
- Place the shrimp in a medium sized bowl. Mix all the dry spices in a small bowl or cup. Pour over the shrimp.
- Mix until the shrimp is evenly coated in the masala spices. Set aside to marinate.
- Fry the chopped onions in a skillet until golden brown.
- Add the crushed garlic and grated ginger and fry for a few more minutes.
- Pour the fried onion mix into a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add the marinated shrimp into the skillet. Fry the shrimp for 3 minutes on medium-low temperature, then turn the shrimp over and cook for an additional 3 minutes until the shrimp are opaque.
- Add the onion mix to the shrimp and stir.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Mix in the labneh (or Greek yogurt, coconut milk or heavy cream), if using for a creamy sauce. Stir well and let simmer for 5 minutes on medium-low temperature.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.