Shrimp sushi roll uramaki is a fusion roll inspired by Swedish Skagenröra, a creamy, tangy cold water shrimp mix that is popular on Toast Skagen.
The Swedish sandwiches with creamy shrimp mix are so good, they are nearly impossible to pass up whenever you see them at seemingly every café!
You’ll be so tempted every time and with that in mind, why not use that delectable cold water shrimp mix in a sushi roll!
If you’re lucky enough to have some extra Skagenröra around, you can use that in your shrimp sushi roll uramaki.
Otherwise, you can go ahead and make a simple shrimp mix provided in this post, or follow the skagenröra recipe with additional ingredients to make it more Toast Skagen like.
Either way, this is a delicious roll that is simple to prepare with those tasty cold water shrimp you love!
Content in this Post
- Ingredients in Shrimp Sushi Roll Uramaki
- Ingredients in Shrimp Salad Mix
- How To Make Shrimp Sushi Roll Uramaki
- STEP 1: Make The Shrimp Mix
- STEP 2: Spread Sushi Rice on Nori Sheet
- STEP 3: Spread the Shrimp Mix On the Nori Sheet
- STEP 4: Add The Veggies
- STEP 5: Roll it Up
- STEP 6: Cut in Pieces
- What To Serve With Shrimp Sushi Roll Uramaki
- More Easy Homemade Sushi Rolls
- Storage Tips For Shrimp Sushi Roll Uramaki
- You’ll Also Love
Ingredients in Shrimp Sushi Roll Uramaki
- Sushi Rice — from failproof Instant Pot sushi rice recipe
- Nori Sheet — prepared sushi nori sheets, you should be able to find in most grocery stores.
- Shrimp Mix— See below for recipe. It’s made of cold water shrimp, usually found in the frozen seafood section of grocery stores. You can also purchase cold water shrimp at IKEA Supermarket.
- Bell Pepper — sliced bell pepper, any color.
- Cucumber — sliced into long strips.
- Chives — add some whole fresh chives, optional.
- Seaweed Pearls — IKEA Supermarket may have seaweed pearls (fish roe caviar substitute) or if you can find fish roe caviar you can use that instead.
- Lemon Zest — fresh lemon zest adds a tangy flavor.
Ingredients in Shrimp Salad Mix
Use the ingredients below to make a simple batch of shrimp salad mix.
If you have leftover skagenröra, from Toast Skagen or shrimp from shrimp salad sandwich mix, this is a perfect recipe enjoy any extras! In that case, just use either of those leftover shrimp mixes instead of preparing the one below.
- Shrimp — cold water shrimp, in frozen seafood section of grocery, or IKEA Supermarket if you have a location nearby.
- Labneh — thick Turkish yogurt cheese, similar to cream cheese. We love to use this as a substitute for mayo in just about all of our recipes. It is satisfying and you won’t ever miss the mayo. When we plan in advance (it takes 8 hours) we love to make a batch of easy Instant Pot homemade thick and creamy yogurt. Strain it well and use it instead of labneh.
- Sour Cream — regular sour cream, not light or fat free. You can sub plain yogurt, Instant Pot homemade yogurt or Dahi a plain yogurt curd found in Indian grocery stores.
- Lemon Juice — freshly pressed lemon juice for the best flavor.
- Hot Sauce — a bit of hot sauce is optional, but gives a nice zing to the mix.
- Salt — Himalayan pink salt, ground.
How To Make Shrimp Sushi Roll Uramaki
STEP 1: Make The Shrimp Mix
Add the ingredients for shrimp mix into a medium bowl.
STEP 2: Spread Sushi Rice on Nori Sheet
STEP 3: Spread the Shrimp Mix On the Nori Sheet
Since we are making shrimp uramaki roll, the Nori will have the sushi rice on the bottom side, facing down, on the plastic sheet.
Spread the shrimp mix in an even layer on the nori sheet, as shown.
STEP 4: Add The Veggies
Add the vegetables and lemon zest to the bottom portion of the shrimp, as pictured below.
STEP 5: Roll it Up
Transfer the nori sheet with toppings, as well as the plastic sheet, to a bamboo sushi mat.
Use the mat and plastic sheet, to roll the shrimp uramaki sushi up into a tight roll.
STEP 6: Cut in Pieces
Once your shrimp roll is tightly rolled up, you may need to trim the ends, if flimsy.
Use a sushi cutting knife or a thin serrated knife can work well.
Next, you’ll cut the shrimp sushi roll into equal pieces about a half an inch wide.
Add sesame seeds to the top of the shrimp sushi roll.
Using a small spoon, carefully add the fish roe caviar or fish roe substitute (seaweed pearls) on the top of the sushi.
What To Serve With Shrimp Sushi Roll Uramaki
Shrimp sushi uramaki rolls are typically served with soy sauce or tamari, homemade spicy sriracha sushi dipping sauce (spicy mayo), pickled ginger and wasabi.
For more side dish or appetizer ideas, try miso soup, seaweed salad (wakame), chicken or beef teriyaki and Japanese potstickers (gyoza).
Since a batch of failproof Instant Pot sushi rice makes enough for eight sushi rolls, your best bet is to prepare more homemade sushi rolls, sushi bowls, etc.
The sushi rolls are filling as they are without any appetizers or sides, although if you want to prepare any of the extra dishes, they can be really nice as well.
More Easy Homemade Sushi Rolls
- Canned Salmon Sushi Roll Uramaki
- Canned Crabmeat Sushi Maki Roll
- Creamy Gravlax Salmon Sushi Uramaki Roll (shown below)
- Spicy Canned Tuna Sushi Roll Uramaki
- Gravlax Salmon Maki Sushi Roll
- Gravlax Salmon Sushi Roll Uramaki
Storage Tips For Shrimp Sushi Roll Uramaki
Shrimp sushi rolls will last up to three days in the fridge as long as they are covered.
Although, the sushi rice will change texture and harden, making it best to consume these fresh or as soon as possible, within a day or two.
You’ll Also Love
Creamy Gravlax Salmon Sushi Uramaki Roll is made with IKEA gravlax smoked salmon and is delightfully fresh with a burst of flavor from lemon zest inside and on top of the roll. Bright yellow from the lemon zest also makes for a beautiful presentation.
Shrimp Sushi Roll Uramaki
- 1 cup Sushi Rice
- 2 Nori Sheets
Shrimp Salad Mix
- 1 cup Shrimp, cold water
- ⅛ cup Labneh
- ⅛ cup Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon Hot Sauce, Frank's
- ½ teaspoon Salt, Himalayan
Vegetables and Toppings
- ¼ cup Bell Pepper
- ¼ cup Cucumber
- 4 Chives
- 2 tablespoons Seaweed Pearls
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- Place all the shrimp salad ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Mix well.
- Spread sushi rice on the nori sheet. We have outlined a method that involves flattening the rice using two sheets of plastic cut from a large Ziplock bag to help with the stickiness of rice issue. See diagram if you'd like to try our method, otherwise you can use your preferred method for distributing the sushi rice evenly on the nori.
- Spread the shrimp mix on the nori sheet.
- Add the bell peppers, cucumber, chives, and lemon zest.
- Using a bamboo sushi mat, tightly roll up the sushi.
- Sprinkle black and white sesame seeds on top of the sushi roll and cut into equally sized pieces (about ½ inch wide). Add about ½ teaspoon of seaweed pearls on top of each roll.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.