This creamy shrimp salad sandwich without mayo is a seafood lovers dream – perfect for a simple yet elegant lunch or brunch you won’t soon forget!
Shrimp salad sandwiches are common in Sweden. They are often made with creme fraiche and taste seriously amazing. I usually have way too many of them.
Many other recipes for shrimp salad sandwich call for mayo.
Creme fraiche and mayo are high in fat and calories though, so we have replaced those with labneh and sour cream to lighten up our recipe.
The taste is still extremely decadent and you won’t miss the creme fraiche or mayo.
Content in this Post
Ingredients in Shrimp Salad Sandwich Without Mayo
- Shrimp — cold water shrimp are the best type to use. Check your grocery store freezer section and if you have an IKEA close by, they often carry cold water shrimp in their market.
- Labneh — Turkish labneh is a thick and creamy yogurt that is similar to cream cheese in taste and texture.
- Sour Cream — use regular sour cream, not low fat or light.
- Dill — Fresh dill, cut into small pieces using a knife or snip with kitchen scissors.
- Chives — Fresh chives, cut into small pieces using a knife or you can snip them with kitchen scissors.
- Lemon Juice — freshly squeezed lemon juice is preferred.
- Lemon Zest — use the zest of half a lemon or so.
- Hot Sauce — we use Frank’s Red Hot sauce, or you can sub in a sprinkle of cayenne pepper, about a quarter teaspoon.
- Salt — Himalayan salt, ground
- Pepper — freshly ground black pepper
Time Saving Tips
This shrimp salad sandwich without mayo filling can be made ahead the night before and kept in an air tight container in the fridge until ready to use.
It will take no time at all to assemble your sandwiches for lunch or brunch the next day, if you have this already prepared.
Then you can spend a few minutes on some garnishes and you’ll be good to go!
Optional Garnishes with Shrimp Salad Sandwich
There are many types of garnishes that work perfectly for shrimp salad sandwich filling.
You can begin your sandwich with a layer of arugula or other favorite greens and top with shrimp salad sandwich filling.
You can keep your sandwich open faced (one bottom slice of bread only) or complete it with a top slice of bread.
Try decorating your sandwich with finely sliced radish, lemons, cucumbers or red onions. You can sprinkle on snipped fresh chives or fresh dill.
If you’d really like to step it up, you can add some caviar over top for a stunning presentation!
What to Serve With Shrimp Salad Sandwich Without Mayo
This shrimp salad sandwich filling is perfect in sandwiches with regular or low carb bread such as or .
For another low carb option, wrap this shrimp salad mix up in some large lettuce leaves like romaine or regular iceberg lettuce.
Enjoy as a filling for Lebanese style pita bread.
For a quick snack, shrimp salad sandwich can also be placed on top of multigrain crisp bread like Nyvita.
Are you looking for an impressive brunch idea?
One of the best ways to serve it is as one layer in a Swedish style seafood sandwich cake (smörgåstårta).
We use it as the top layer in our seafood sandwich cake (smörgåstårta).
It is a fair bit of work to assemble, but you will have one show stopping conversation piece!
When you stop to think about it, it’s not as difficult to make as it seems, and the payoff makes the effort well worth it.
It is an extremely decadent and hearty meal, so it’s best reserved for special occasions, like holidays and birthdays.
Best Uses for Leftover Shrimp Salad Sandwich Leftovers
Try leftover shrimp salad sandwich mix in this shrimp sushi roll uramaki. Easily prepare Foolproof Instant Pot sushi rice that makes enough rice for eight sushi rolls.
Then you can make the rest of these easy homemade sushi rolls with convenient ingredients like IKEA gravlax smoked salmon (in three of the rolls), and rolls made with a variety of canned seafood.
If you like the idea of a smörgåstårta but don’t want to assemble the whole sandwich cake, try our smörgåstårta–bord concept for brunch.
It’s basically a smörgåsbord (sandwich table), but we like to call it a smörgåstårta-bord for fun, and because the result is mini sandwich cakes (smörgåstårtor).
Lay out all of the ingredients that go into a smörgåstårta, like a charcuterie board and let everyone build their own mini individual sandwich cakes!
You will need different fillings such as the ones listed below, sliced bread, sliced cheeses, the labneh sour cream “frosting”, butter, and a variety of garnishes.
You can also include crisp bread crackers that can be topped similarly to bread.
More Sandwich Fillings to Try
Any of these sandwich mixes are perfect for a quick and satisfying, healthy lunch. Try a different one each time!
- Salmon Salad Sandwich
- Tuna Salad Sandwich
- Smoked Salmon Salad Sandwich
- Egg Salad Sandwich
- Crab Salad Sandwich
- Lobster Salad Sandwich
- Chicken Salad Sandwich
And, if you’d like to make four at a time – shrimp salad sandwich as well as your favorite three seafood or egg fillings listed above (any of the above except chicken salad) can all be used in our Swedish style seafood sandwich cake (smörgåstårta).
There are four layers in the smorgastarta, so you can choose your favorite four fillings!
For more Swedish style sandwich ideas, read about our must have Swedish grocery items for everything smörgås!
Shrimp salad sandwich can be kept in the fridge for up to three days. We recommend enjoying it within a day or two for the freshest flavor.
Unopened bags of cold water shrimp have a long freezer life. Keep a bag or two on hand in the freezer.
You’ll Also Love
Try this IKEA shrimp sandwich with cold water shrimp, labneh, sliced egg and lettuce on low carb or regular bread. It’s easy to assemble and full of flavor!
Shrimp Salad Sandwich Without Mayo (Räkröra)
- 12 ounces Cold Water Shrimp, cooked, frozen
- ¼ Cup Labneh
- ¼ Cup Sour Cream
- ¼ Cup Fresh Dill, snipped small
- ⅛ Cup Fresh Chives, snipped small
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- ½ teaspoon Hot Sauce, Franks Red Hot
- ½ teaspoon Salt , Himalayan, ground
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper, freshly ground
Bread and Toppings
- 8 Slices Carbonaut Bread, or Carbonaut Bread Multigrain, low carb or regular bread
- 1 Bunch Chives, chopped, optional
- Place thawed and drained cold water shrimp into a medium bowl.
- Add labneh and sour cream to the bowl.
- Follow with remaining ingredients (fresh dill, chives, lemon juice and zest, hot sauce, salt and pepper).
- Mix all ingredients together until they are well combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Enjoy as a sandwich filling or as one layer of a sandwich cake (smorgastarta).
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.