This mustard dill sauce (hovmästarsås) is a popular condiment with seafood dishes, particularly IKEA style smoked salmon gravlax salad.
Every time we go to IKEA we make a stop for lunch at IKEA’s Restaurant. We especially look forward to gravlax salad plates with a side of mustard and dill sauce.
This sauce is the perfect complement to smoked salmon and it turns a simple salad of gravlax and mixed greens into something truly extraordinary. A squeeze from a lemon slice on the side is another nice touch!
We like to grab a bottle of IKEA Mustard & Dill (Senap och Dill) sauce and some gravlax from the IKEA supermarket to take home and enjoy again.
But, when it’s unavailable, we go with this quick recipe hack to make a simple version that satisfies much the same.
All you need is prepared honey mustard (not regular or classic yellow mustard), some fresh dill and some hot sauce if you’d like to spice it up a little.
Content in this Post
- Ingredients In Mustard Dill Sauce (Hovmästarsås) Recipe
- Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- How To Make Mustard Dill Sauce (Hovmästarsås) Recipe
- What To Serve With Mustard Dill Sauce (Hovmästarsås) Recipe
- Best Uses for Leftover Mustard Dill Sauce (Hovmästarsås)
- Storage Tips
- More Sauce (Sås) Recipes
- You’ll Also Love
Ingredients In Mustard Dill Sauce (Hovmästarsås) Recipe
- Honey Mustard — prepared honey mustard, we use President’s Choice Honey Mustard that is already so close to the flavor we are trying to recreate based on the IKEA mustard dill sauce recipe. NOTE: Be sure to use honey mustard and not regular or Dijon mustard in this recipe.
- Dill — fresh dill sprigs, chopped fine.
- Hot Sauce — a dash of hot sauce is optional, such as Frank’s Red Hot.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This mustard dill sauce is a snap to put together. It literally only takes a minute or two.
And, not only is it quick to whip up, it is extremely versatile. Any leftovers will be put to good use on sandwiches, smoked salmon recipes as well as ham recipes.
It is a super flavorful sauce and you don’t need to use a lot of it. A spoon or two goes a long way as a side condiment to smoked salmon salad.
How To Make Mustard Dill Sauce (Hovmästarsås) Recipe
This recipe is super easy to make and is a simple hack for when you can’t find IKEA Sås Senap & Dill. Perhaps your nearest IKEA supermarket is sold out of it, as in the last time we were there! Or if you live too far away from IKEA, don’t despair, you can still get a similar result.
Just combine the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. That’s all there is to it!
What To Serve With Mustard Dill Sauce (Hovmästarsås) Recipe
Mustard Dill Sauce (Hovmästarsås) is typically served with gravad lax (gravlax). Serve it IKEA style, along with Smoked salmon gravlax salad.
Gravlax salad with IKEA gravlax and mixed spring greens is a perfect high protein and low carb lunch option.
Best Uses for Leftover Mustard Dill Sauce (Hovmästarsås)
Leftover mustard dill sauce can be enjoyed with additional smoked salmon gravlax (gravad lax).
You can incorporate this sauce in your favorite smoked salmon recipes, either within the dish or you can serve it on the side.
Some favorite easy smoked salmon recipes include:
- smoked salmon on a bagel
- smoked salmon omelette
- smoked salmon tartines
- smoked salmon and scrambled eggs
- smoked salmon eggs benedict
- smoked salmon charcuterie platter
This mustard dill sauce is also excellent in potato salad recipes. Add this mustard sauce in place of regular mustard in your favorite potato salads. You can also enjoy it in IKEA Stockholm salad.
Likewise, you can try mustard dill sauce with smoked salmon pasta salads.
You can also spread this onto smoked salmon sandwiches and wraps to jazz them up! It’s also extremely tasty on ham sandwiches, especially Swedish style open faced ham sandwiches on rye bread.
You’ll want to be sure to use fresh dill, either from your garden or dill that has been properly stored in the fridge. It should be kept air tight and dry in a sealed container or mason jar. Use fresh store bought dill within a few days after purchase, the sooner the better.
Once made, the mustard dill sauce can be kept in the fridge for up to four days. It also freezes well, for a few months.
More Sauce (Sås) Recipes
- kebab sauce recipe (kebabsås)
- homemade doner kebab red sauce (röd kebabsås)
- kebab shop garlic sauce without mayo (vitlökssås)
- spicy sriracha sauce for sushi
- mango curry sauce
- tzatziki sauce for gyros and kebab
You’ll Also Love
If you’re a fan of spicy Indian curries, you’re going to love this cooling lemon dill raita. In addition, be sure to enjoy it alongside your favorite salmon dishes! It’s another amazing recipe that’s just as easy.
Mustard Dill Sauce Hovmästarsås recipe
- ¼ Cup Honey Mustard, President's Choice Honey Mustard or similar
- 1 tablespoon Dill, fresh, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Hot Sauce, optional, Frank's Red Hot or similar type
- Add prepared honey mustard, chopped dill and hot sauce, if using, to a small bowl.
- Mix well.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.