Murgh Makhani quesadilla (aka butter chicken quesadilla) is the perfect choice for a crowd pleasing appetizer or quick main course in the middle of a busy schedule.
They are quick to prepare, especially if you have a batch of butter chicken handy. This is a great way to enjoy any leftover butter chicken. Quesadillas are always a brilliant meal idea to repurpose leftovers in a delightful way. We also love doner kebab quesadillas with leftovers from another easy Instant Pot dinner.
If you are making butter chicken from scratch, it is still an easy recipe. With a quick to make Instant Pot Murgh Makhani recipe, it won’t be too long until you’re able to enjoy these flavorful quesadillas.
When we make these, we either put the bell peppers and onions in raw, or stir fry them in a bit of butter first.
It’s hard to choose which is better. We are still debating it. We like the crunch of the raw vegetables inside the quesadilla and this is how we have made the recipe card.
However, if you pan fry the onions and bell peppers in the same pan you use to fry the quesadillas, the flavor from those will remain in the pan.
Remove the pan fried onions and bell peppers, and set aside. Continue on with the steps as listed. Then, when it’s time to fry the quesadillas, the tortillas will soak up a little extra flavor that is leftover from the onions and peppers.
We like the flavor from the slightly caramelized onions and peppers, but we also really like the fresh crunch when they are uncooked.
Try both methods and let us know your favorite in the comments to help us decide which is best!
Content in this Post
- Ingredients in Murgh Makhani Quesadilla
- How To Make Murgh Makhani Quesadilla
- STEP 1: Cover Half of Each Tortilla With Butter Chicken
- STEP 2: Arrange Bell Peppers and Onions
- STEP 3: Sprinkle On Cheese
- STEP 4: Add Cilantro
- STEP 5: Fold Tortilla Over
- STEP 6: Cook Quesadillas
- What To Serve With Murgh Makhani Quesadilla
- Storage Tips For Murgh Makhani Quesadilla
- More Savory Appetizers
- You’ll Also Love
Ingredients in Murgh Makhani Quesadilla
- Tortilla — two tortillas, we have shown each one folded in the photo above.
- Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken)– prepared butter chicken, homemade or from a restaurant. Try our easy Instant Pot Butter Chicken recipe.
- Mozzarella — we make this with shredded mozzarella, but you can sub other shredded cheeses such as cheddar or Monterrey Jack.
- Bell Pepper — any color of bell pepper, although red or green provides a nice contrast for presentation.
- Onions — red onions, can also use white or yellow.
- Cilantro — fresh cilantro leaves, can chop or keep the leaves whole.
- Butter — about a tablespoon of butter for the pan, can use less if you prefer.
Optional Recipe Variations — you can also enjoy this recipe with leftover Instant Pot Mango Curry Chicken. Just follow the recipe but substitute mango chicken curry for the butter chicken curry.
How To Make Murgh Makhani Quesadilla
There are a few easy steps to prepare a butter chicken quesadilla.
If you don’t have already prepared butter chicken, you can follow the steps in our easy Instant Pot Butter Chicken recipe. It’s easy to make and you can choose to marinade the chicken or not, depending on how much time you have.
Once you have your murgh makhani butter chicken, you’re good to go!
*NOTE: Before we begin, remember this recipe is for two quesadillas, although we only show one being made in the pictures below. Divide all of the ingredients in half among two tortillas. Repeat each step for two tortillas. Unless you are only making one, in that case you will only need half of the ingredient portions listed in the recipe card.
STEP 1: Cover Half of Each Tortilla With Butter Chicken
Cover half of the tortillas with prepared butter chicken. You want it to have some sauce but not too much so that it will spill out.
STEP 2: Arrange Bell Peppers and Onions
Place sliced bell peppers, onions and any other toppings you wish to add on top of the butter chicken layer.
STEP 3: Sprinkle On Cheese
Sprinkle the shredded cheese over top of the sliced bell peppers and onions.
STEP 4: Add Cilantro
There’s nothing better than some fresh cilantro on a butter chicken quesadilla. Put as much as you like!
STEP 5: Fold Tortilla Over
Fold each tortilla in half.
STEP 6: Cook Quesadillas
Heat a tablespoon of butter in a fry pan, on medium temperature. Transfer quesadillas to the fry pan or griddle and cook for about four minutes on each side. They should be a nice golden color.
What To Serve With Murgh Makhani Quesadilla
The butter chicken quesadillas pair well with a salad and sliced vegetables on the side.
Butter Chicken quesadillas are a perfect appetizer for Super Bowl game day and many other occasions. Serve with additional appetizers and finger foods.
You can also make Butter Chicken Pita Pizzas with extra butter chicken!
Storage Tips For Murgh Makhani Quesadilla
Keep any cooked quesadilla leftovers in the fridge for up to three days, and ideally you should try to enjoy them within a day or two. Ensure they are covered in an air tight container.
More Savory Appetizers
You’ll Also Love
This leftover turkey tikka masala pizza is delicious as an appetizer or main course. The ingredients can also be placed onto tortillas to make tikka masala quesadillas. Feel free to sub cooked chicken for turkey.
Murgh Makhani Quesadilla
- 2 Tortillas
- 1 cup Butter Chicken, prepared
- ¼ cup Bell Pepper, sliced
- ¼ cup Onion, sliced
- ⅛ cup Cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded, can sub cheddar or preferred type
- 1 tablespoon Butter, for the pan
- This recipe makes two quesadillas although we only show one in the first five instruction pics. You will need to divide each ingredient in half to be shared among two tortillas. Spread (half of) butter chicken evenly on half of a tortilla. Repeat for the other tortilla.
- Add sliced bell peppers and onions over top of butter chicken. Repeat on second tortilla.
- Sprinkle both tortillas with shredded cheese.
- Place cilantro over top of the cheese.
- Fold the tortilla over. Repeat for second tortilla.
- Transfer tortillas to a grill pan or griddle. Cook for about four minutes per side or until nice golden color. Be sure to keep checking so the quesadillas don't burn.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.