Murgh Makhani pizza (aka butter chicken pizza) is a perfect way to spice up your pizza routine with a creamy and flavorful sauce, a nice change from traditional pizza sauce.
It tastes amazing and is a great way to enjoy leftover butter chicken.
We love our own recipe for Instant Pot Murgh Makhani (butter chicken), but you can definitely use any butter chicken, from a restaurant or homemade.
It’s extremely difficult to resist this one.
I remember the first time I found out it was offered at a pizza place and nearly drove my car off the road.
Just kidding, I’m not that bad of a driver.
But when you drive by and see a sign for Butter Chicken Pizza for the first time, you’ll need to remain calm despite your sudden increase in heart rate.
If you’re a fan of butter chicken, you’ll want to give our easy Instant Pot butter chicken recipe a try. Then you can use it to make these amazing butter chicken pizzas.
Content in this Post
Murgh Makhani Pizza Ingredients
- Pita Bread — we like to use pita bread, regular or whole wheat, for all of our pita pizzas. Although, Indian naan or other flatbread would make a great choice with butter chicken pizza.
- Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken) — We recommend our Instant Pot Murgh Makhani an easy and flavorful dish that can be made with marinated or plain chicken cubes from chicken thighs.
- Mozzarella Cheese — shredded mozzarella cheese, or other types of shredded cheese like cheddar can be used.
- Bell Pepper — any color of bell pepper, although green or red provides more contrast than yellow or orange, for presentation.
- Onions — red onions, sub white or yellow.
- Cilantro — garnish with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro. You can add as much or little as you like.
Optional Ingredient Variations — you can also enjoy this recipe with leftover Instant Pot Mango Curry Chicken. Just follow the recipe but substitute mango chicken curry for the butter chicken curry.
How To Make Murgh Makhani Pizza
Murgh Makhani pizza is extremely easy to make when you have prepared butter chicken ready to go.
Otherwise, it’s still pretty easy, when you make Murgh Makhani in the Instant Pot. We provide two instructions, with marinade or without.
You can make it with marinated chicken, that will take a little longer but if you have time, is worth the wait. You’ll have to mix up the marinade, submerge the chicken and let it sit covered in the fridge for anywhere from fifteen minutes to overnight if you are planning in advance.
Or you can use plain chicken that will still taste fantastic immersed in the flavorful sauce. In this case, the recipe for butter chicken is quite easy, just chop the chicken into bite sized pieces and place in the Instant Pot with some ingredients and cook on HIGH pressure for 7 minutes.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove the chicken from the sauce and finish the sauce by pureeing and adding butter and yogurt. Then, when the creamy sauce is smooth, add the chicken pieces back in.
When you have your butter chicken ready, all you need to do is spread the butter chicken on top of the pita bread and add the toppings.
STEP 1: Spread Butter Chicken On The Pitas
Cover the pitas evenly with the prepared butter chicken.
STEP 2: Add Cheese
Sprinkle an even layer of shredded cheese over the surface of both pitas. You can use mozzarella, cheddar or any type of shredded cheese you prefer.
STEP 3: Add Toppings
Go ahead and add your favorite toppings such as bell peppers, red onions, hot peppers, mushrooms, paneer or feta cubes, or any other toppings you love.
STEP 3: Bake in Oven
Bake in preheated oven for 6 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Remove from oven, sprinkle with cilantro and transfer to individual plates. Serve with a salad.
Serves two as a main course or four as an appetizer.
What To Serve With Murgh Makhani Pizza
Butter chicken pizza pairs well with a fresh salad. It’s perfect with an Indian Kachumber salad with diced cucumber, red onion, cilantro and tomato (shown below in the pic with Turkey Tikka Masala Pizza).
You can also serve Murgh Makhani pizza with an Italian house style salad and it’s especially nice with Swedish style cabbage pizza salad, that we love to serve with all of our pizzas.
Butter chicken quesadillas are an excellent appetizer to make with some extra butter chicken.
Storage Tips for Murgh Makhani Pizza
Store Murgh Makhani pizza in the fridge for up to three days. It’s best to enjoy any leftover butter chicken pizza within a day or two, as the bread will soften as time goes on.
More Easy and Savory Pita Pizzas
- Leftover Turkey Tikka Masala (shown below)
- Red Lobster Style Crab Pizza
- Doner Kebab Pizza
- Kebab Chicken Pizza
- Sardine or Mackerel With Tomato Sauce Pizza
- Tuna Melt or Crab Melt Pizza
- White Sauce Clam Pizza or Clam and Kale Pizza (Red Sauce)
- Lamb or Beef Gyros Pizza
- Chicken Souvlaki Pizza
You’ll Also Love
Another super delicious pizza made with tikka masala sauce and leftover turkey, this Leftover Turkey Tikka Masala will not disappoint! You can sub leftover chicken for the turkey.
Murgh Makhani Pizza
- 2 Pita Bread, sub naan, or flatbread of choice
- 1½ Cup Butter Chicken, prepared
- 1½ Cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- ¼ Cup Red Onion, Sliced
- ¼ Cup Bell Pepper, Sliced
- ¼ Cup Cilantro, fresh, chopped or keep leaves whole
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line an oven safe baking sheet with parchment paper. Place two pitas on top.
- Cover the pitas with an even layer of prepared butter chicken.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese evenly over the butter chicken layer.
- Arrange your favorite toppings, such as sliced red onions, sliced bell peppers, etc. Bake in the preheated oven for 7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Remove from oven, sprinkle with cilantro and transfer to individual serving plates.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.