Low carb stuffing with okra and goji berries, satisfies in flavor and texture and is perfect alongside your favorite turkey dinner.
It’s a great alternative to meat stuffing, if you prefer a stuffing without beef or sausage.
A perfect balance of flavors from the celery, herbs, apples, onions, goji berries, garlic and broth sets the stage for okra to shine in this dish.
The combination of sweet and savory ingredients makes this a delightful side dish for your turkey dinner.
It’s also low in carbs, when you make it with a low carb (and gluten free) bread such as Carbonaut bread. But, you can use regular bread if you prefer.
Or, if you want to skip the bread altogether, you can even do that. You can make this as a vegetable side dish instead of a bread stuffing. The mix without the bread is so good – it’s a really tasty okra stir fry as is! It’s pictured above in a white bowl behind the stuffing.
You can stuff the turkey with it, or keep it in a separate serving dish from the turkey. We like to keep ours separate from the turkey, but it can be used as a turkey stuffing if you like.
It’s a good idea to stuff the turkey with a diced mixture of vegetables such as carrots and parsnips to obtain a perfectly roasted vegetable dish, with a ton of flavor from the turkey drippings. But you can also place vegetables around the turkey at the bottom of the roasting pan.
There are so many options so it’s really up to you how you prefer to cook your vegetables and stuffing.
Content in this Post
Ingredients in Low Carb Stuffing with Okra
- Okra — we use frozen, chopped, for convenience.
- Red Onion — diced, or any other onion is fine.
- Low Carb Bread — such as , or you can use regular bread if you don’t prefer a low carb stuffing.
- Celery — slice thinly
- Goji Berries — dried, or sub dried cranberries.
- Apple — diced
- Garlic — cloves, peeled and minced.
- Sage — fresh, sliced
- Thyme — fresh, chopped
- Vegetable Broth — you can use store bought or your own homemade broth. You will need to add the broth, bit by bit, to ensure you have a proper moisture level (not too dry, but also not soggy). You can sub other broths, like chicken or turkey giblet stock.
How To Make Low Carb Stuffing with Okra
STEP 1 — Roast bread cubes in oven. You will need to dice your bread into cubes and roast for twenty minutes or so until they are firm.
STEP 2 — Stir Fry the Okra and vegetables. Meanwhile the bread is in the oven, you can make the vegetable stir fry mixture.
STEP 3 — Combine bread cubes, fruit and vegetables. Once the bread cubes and stir fry vegetable mix are ready, add them to a large bowl and mix!
What To Serve With Low Carb Stuffing
You can serve this delicious stuffing with your favorite turkey and side dish recipes. We especially love it with the following:
- Masala Turkey
- Sweet Potato Mash
- Mashed Potatoes or Potato Cauliflower Mash with Garlic
- Spiced Cranberry Pineapple Sauce
More Okra Recipes
Okra is such a unique vegetable in flavor and texture, and you will love it in so many ways. As a simple stir fry or in soup, it is delicious any way you prepare it.
Try these favorites:
- Bhindi Masala Okra Curry (Spiced Okra Stir Fry)
- Masoor Dal Sambar with Okra (Spiced Red Lentil Soup with Okra)
Low Carb Stuffing With Okra
- 1 loaf Carbonaut Bread, low carb, gluten free bread, diced into small cubes
- 3 Cups Okra, frozen or fresh, chopped
- 1 Red Onion, diced
- 1 Cup Vegetable Broth, use homemade or prepared broth, plus more as needed, to use after cooking
- 2 Stalks Celery, diced
- ¼ Cup Goji Berries, dried, can sub dried cranberries
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Thyme, chopped
- 1 Apple, diced
Bake Bread Cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Dice bread into cubes and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes or until firm. Keep a close eye on it after ten minutes to make sure the bread doesn't burn. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
Stir Fry Okra and Vegetable
- Meanwhile, place the okra into a frying pan on the stove top on medium high heat. Stir fry for a several minutes to eliminate the thick liquid from the okra.
- Add the diced onions and continue to stir fry okra in the pan.
- Pour in the broth, celery, goji berries and garlic and mix well.
- Add the fresh herbs and stir for another minute or so.
Combine Bread Cubes and Vegetable Stir Fry
- Place the baked bread cubes into a large bowl.
- Add the okra and vegetable stir fry mixture as well as the diced apples.
- Mix well to thoroughly combine. Add in more broth, little by little, to your desired moisture level (careful to ensure that it is neither too dry or soggy).
Reheat Before Serving if Necessary
- Transfer the stuffing to an oven safe casserole dish and place in a preheated (350 °F) oven for 20-30 minutes before serving, if necessary. If you've cooked the stuffing inside the turkey, disregard this step.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.