This homemade doner kebab salad sandwich mix kebabröra in baguette is incredibly rich and creamy with intense bursts of flavor from chopped doner kebab meat in each bite.
Not your average lunch, to be sure, this kebab sandwich mix is going to knock your socks off.
And, what’s more, it’s made with labneh (or sub plain Greek yogurt), sour cream and some cream cheese.
So even though it’s still a rich and satisfying recipe, this kebabröra recipe is lighter and lower in calories and fat than the mayo based versions.
Not to mention, it’s made with an easy homemade Instant Pot doner kebab recipe that doesn’t have the grease typical of many store bought packages of kebab meat.
Content in this Post
- Ingredients in Kebabröra in Baguette
- What is Kebabröra?
- How To Make Kebabröra in Baguette
- STEP 1: Make the Kebabröra Sandwich Mix
- STEP 2: Assemble the Kebabröra in Baguette
- Kebabröra in a Pita Wrap
- What To Serve With Kebabröra in Baguette
- More Sandwich Mixes Without Mayo
- More Doner Kebab Recipes
- Storage Tips for Kebabröra
- You’ll Also Love
Ingredients in Kebabröra in Baguette
- Doner Kebab Meat — from Instant Pot Doner Kebab (Kebabkött) recipe
- Labneh — Turkish yogurt cheese with a creamy texture perfect for sandwich mixes.
- Sour Cream — regular sour cream is recommended, not light or fat free. If you have Dahi, yogurt curd, you can sub that for sour cream, or plain yogurt.
- Cream Cheese — regular Philadelphia cream cheese. If you don’t have this, you can use more labneh. The texture will be slightly different although still good.
- Green Onion — a green onion, thinly sliced, about a tablespoon or so.
- Garlic — fresh garlic cloves, peeled and minced.
- Kebab Seasoning — from Doner Kebab Spice Blend (Kebabkrydda) recipe or store bought brands of can be used.
- Italian Seasoning — a prepared homemade or store bought blend of Italian seasoning.
- Hot Sauce — a little Frank’s Red Hot, sriracha, or similar hot sauce of choice.
- Salt — Himalayan pink salt, ground
- Pepper — freshly ground black pepper
What is Kebabröra?
Kebabröra is a sandwich mix made from chopped Turkish Doner Kebab Meat in a rich cream sauce. It is available premade in containers that you can purchase in grocery stores in Sweden.
Our local grocery doesn’t sell kebabröra so we have made our own recipe that is inspired by the doner kebab sandwich mix you can find in cafe restaurants and Swedish grocery stores.
We have used yogurt and sour cream instead of mayo, our recipe is still rich and creamy with the addition of cream cheese.
It’s an extremely flavorful mix, and sliced green onions, hot sauce and kebab spice blend (kebabkrydda) take it over the top!
Serve it in a baguette, in a pita wrap, or on regular or low carb bread. However you choose to serve it, kebabröra is sure to please!
This is an addictive recipe, a perfect way to enjoy homemade Instant Pot doner kebab. You can use store bought doner kebab meat if you prefer.
How To Make Kebabröra in Baguette
STEP 1: Make the Kebabröra Sandwich Mix
The first steps involve making the rich and creamy doner kebab salad sandwich mix.
Add softened room temperature (microwave just a few seconds if necessary) cream cheese, and the rest of sauce ingredients to a medium bowl.
Chop the doner kebab meat into pieces. You can choose to make them small or leave them a little larger.
Combine the doner kebab meat with the sauce ingredients. Ensure that the meat is thoroughly mixed into the sauce.
STEP 2: Assemble the Kebabröra in Baguette
When you have your kebabröra mix prepared, then it’s time to make the baguettes or rolls.
First you need to create a “boat” out of the baguette or roll. To do so, start by making a cut lengthwise half way through the baguette. Then cut on an angle from each side into the previous cut, so you can remove the top pieces. Lastly, scoop out the interior to create the pocket for the kebabröra.
When you have the baguette “boat” created, you can now start adding the ingredients.
Cut into the top of each baguette or roll, as shown in the picture above.
Place a generous amount of kebabröra in each baguette.
Add cucumber and tomato slices.
Add onions and hot peppers.
Serve and Enjoy!
Kebabröra in a Pita Wrap
Alternatively, you can serve kebabröra in a pita wrap. Just prepare the vegetables similarly and place the kebabröra doner kebab mix down the center of the pita wrap as shown below.
Roll up the pita wrap and enjoy!
What To Serve With Kebabröra in Baguette
Serve kebabröra as you would any sandwich mix. It can be enjoyed as a filling for a baguette, in a pita wrap, or in regular or low carb sandwich bread.
It can also be enjoyed as one layer of a savory sandwich cake (smörgåstårta)!
Kebabröra pairs well with kebab salad, and a soup.
More Sandwich Mixes Without Mayo
- Chicken Salad
- Shrimp Salad
- Crab Salad
- Egg Salad
- Lobster Salad
- Tuna Salad
- Salmon Salad
- Smoked Salmon Salad
- Clam Salad
More Doner Kebab Recipes
Try all of these delicious homemade doner kebab recipes:
- Instant Pot Doner Kebab (Kebabkött)
- Doner Kebab Plate (Kebabtallrik)
- Doner Kebab Salad (Kebabsallad)
- Doner Kebab Roll (Kebabrulle)
- Doner Kebab Sauce (Kebabsås)
- Doner Kebab Chili Sauce (Kebab Rödsås Chilisås)
- Doner Kebab Garlic Sauce (Vitlökssås)
- Crustless Quiche Doner Kebab
- Doner Kebab Quesadilla
- Doner Kebab Poutine
- Kebab Shop Red Cabbage Salad
Storage Tips for Kebabröra
You can keep the kebabröra in an air tight container in the fridge for three days (if it’s not already consumed by then… LOL).
It is not recommended to freeze the kebabröra as the consistency will change once thawed. You’d be better off freezing the doner kebab meat separate and make a fresh batch of kebabröra when you want to eat it.
You’ll Also Love
Doner Kebab Salad (Kebabsallad) is a perfect lower carb lunch with crisp mixed greens, sliced vegetables and hot peppers. Serve with doner kebab white sauce and doner red chili sauce.
Kebabröra in Baguette
Bread and Toppings
- 4 Baguettes, or rolls, can sub pita bread
- ½ Cup Cucumber, sliced
- ½ Cup Tomato, sliced
- ½ Cup Red Onion, sliced, sub yellow or white onion
- 8 Hot Peppers, lombardi or pepperoncini
Make the Kebabröra (Doner Kebab Sandwich Mix)
- Add all cream mix ingredients EXCEPT Kebab meat and vegetable toppings.
- Mix well.
- Cut the doner kebab meat into pieces. You can choose to make them small or leave them a bit larger, depending on the texture you prefer.
- Add the kebab meat pieces into the bowl with the sauce ingredients and thoroughly combine. Ensure the meat is mixed completely with the sauce.
Make the Kebabröra Baguette
- Slice down the center of each baguette or roll as shown. A wedge of bread is removed to make a bowl shape.
- Place a generous amount of kebabröra in each baguette or roll.
- Arrange cucumber and tomato slices.
- Add sliced onions and hot peppers.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.