Tangy and tender crisp, this kebab shop Turkish red cabbage salad is a flavorful and versatile low carb side dish that goes well with so many dishes.
We love to prepare a batch of red cabbage salad and rely on it for a few days. It’s a trusty side dish that goes well with everything.
Turkish style red cabbage salad is a satisfying, low carb dish that’s easy to include in your menu. You can make it ahead as it keeps well in the fridge for a few days.
Then, with an easy Instant Pot doner kebab meat recipe, or leftovers from it, you can make fun and super tasty dishes like doner kebab poutine and doner kebab quesadilla, among others.
It’s a great accompaniment to pizzas or pita pizzas, and we love it just as much as our pizza salad that is a very similar recipe but with green cabbage.
Content in this Post
- Ingredients in Kebab Shop Turkish Red Cabbage Salad
- Why You’ll Love This Recipe for Red Cabbage Salad
- Health Benefits of Red Cabbage Salad
- How to Make Kebab Shop Turkish Red Cabbage Salad
- STEP 1: Prep the Red Cabbage
- Step 2: Soften the Cabbage
- Step 3: Soften the Cabbage
- Step 4: Add Oil, Lemon Juice, Tabasco, and Salt
- What to Serve With Kebab Shop Turkish Red Cabbage Salad
- Storage Tips for Kebab Shop Turkish Red Cabbage Salad
- You’ll Also Love
Ingredients in Kebab Shop Turkish Red Cabbage Salad
- Red Cabbage – You can choose to prepare this with half a head of cabbage, or double the recipe for a larger batch.
- Lemon Juice — freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Avocado Oil – or any cooking oil you prefer
- Salt – we use pink Himalayan salt
- Tabasco Sauce – we use green Tabasco but you can use any hot sauce of your preference. Hot sauce is optional, you can feel free to omit.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe for Red Cabbage Salad
This is a quick recipe to make and red cabbage salad is super economical.
One head of cabbage yields a large amount of salad. You can enjoy this versatile side dish for a few days with a variety of main dishes.
Plus, it’s a low carb side dish that’s suitable for a keto diet. Not to mention, it’s super satisfying.
And, just look at that stunning color. It’s colorful and high in antioxidants, so it’s not only pleasing to the eye but also offers a range of health benefits.
In this preparation, the cabbage is slightly softened, yet still retains a satisfying crunch.
Health Benefits of Red Cabbage Salad
Red cabbage is high in antioxidants, and it’s red or purple color enriches it with significantly more antioxidants than green cabbage. Red or purple cabbage is rich in vitamin C and also contains sulfur and iodine.
This kebab shop Turkish red cabbage salad is low in calories and fat, yet a high fiber dish that is extremely filling.
How to Make Kebab Shop Turkish Red Cabbage Salad
STEP 1: Prep the Red Cabbage
Start by boiling a large pot of water, roughly 3 quarts (liters). While the water is heating up, finely shred the cabbage into strips. Place the shredded cabbage in a colander.
Step 2: Soften the Cabbage
Place the colander in the sink and slowly (and carefully) pour the boiling water over the cabbage, making sure all the cabbage is covered in water. This step produces cabbage that is tender crisp in texture.
Then pour a pitcher of cold water over the cabbage to cool it down so you can touch it.
Step 3: Soften the Cabbage
Using your hands, kneed the cabbage to break up the fibers and soften it. This will make the cabbage tender and let it absorb the oil and lemon juice.
Step 4: Add Oil, Lemon Juice, Tabasco, and Salt
Transfer the cabbage to a large serving bowl. Pour in the avocado oil, lemon juice, tabasco sauce, and salt. Stir well to mix all ingredients. Chill the cabbage salad, covered, in the fridge for an hour or overnight.
What to Serve With Kebab Shop Turkish Red Cabbage Salad
This salad is perfect with these favorite doner kebab recipes:
Doner Kebab Recipes:
- Instant Pot Doner Kebab Meat made with Doner Kebab Seasoning
- Doner Kebab Salad Sandwich Mix (kebabröra)
- Doner Kebab Roll
- Doner Kebab Plate
- Doner Kebab Pita Pizza
- Doner Kebab Salad
- Crustless Quiche Doner Kebab
Storage Tips for Kebab Shop Turkish Red Cabbage Salad
You can keep this red cabbage salad in the fridge, covered, for up to five days.
It keeps well and gets even better in the days after preparation, since the cabbage can marinate in the dressing.
You’ll Also Love
Quick to prepare, with over the top flavor, this doner kebab quesadilla is quite the impressive appetizer. Delightful with a side of extra kebab sauce and some kebab shop Turkish red cabbage salad.
Kebab Shop Turkish Red Cabbage Salad
- ½ head Red Cabbage
- ¼ cup Avocado Oil
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon Salt, we use Himalayan
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce, we use green
- Boil a large size, 3 quarts, pot of water. Shred the cabbage into fine strips and place it in a colander.
- Put the colander in the sink and evenly pour the hot water over the cabbage to make it soft. Then pour a pitcher of cold water over the cabbage to cool it down (so you can touch it). Next break up the cabbage by kneading it using you hands.
- Pour the cabbage into a large serving bowl.
- Add the oil, lemon juice, hot sauce and salt.
- Mix all the ingredients and serve chilled.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.