This kebab pizza pita recipe has it all – spicy meat, fresh lettuce, tangy sauce, all the BEST flavors you love from takeout but made fast at home. With healthy kebab meat and kebab sauce recipes, so you can have this often!
This kebab pizza pita recipe is perfect for those times when you want something quick and easy but with a restaurant feel.
You can plan ahead and make your own healthier version of kebab meat, or you can go the even quicker route and use store bought. Whatever you choose, you are in for a treat!
One of our most missed foods from Sweden, we just had to make our own version of kebab pizza to have at home!
Sure, we would love to have authentic Swedish kebab pizza every day, but since we can’t, this is the closest thing that can be made super quick, and we still can’t believe how satisfying it is. Give it a try!
Content in this Post
Ingredients in Kebab Pizza Pita Recipe
- Pita Bread — Lebanese style pita bread is a great choice for pita pizzas.
- Kebab Meat — Make our easy and healthier Instant Pot Doner Kebab Meat recipe or you can stock some store bought kebab meat or gyro for convenience. The kebab meat slices will need to be pan fried for a few minutes on each side, and set aside on a plate until ready to assemble the pizzas.
- Pizza Sauce — Use a good pizza or marinara sauce.
- Cheese — Shredded cheese, you can use mozzarella, havarti, even cheddar if that’s all you have.
- Lettuce — Shredded lettuce, so fresh on top of the pizzas and great with the sauce drizzled on.
- White Doner Kebab Sauce — Our recipe for kebab sauce is yogurt based rather than mayo or sour cream. It is good for you and you can’t even tell it’s light.
- Hot Peppers — Pepperoncini peppers for garnish.
Time Saving Tips
If you have leftover meat in the fridge, one of the best ways to use it up is in one of these pita pizzas. We love to keep some packaged doner kebab or gyro meat frozen for convenience.
They thaw out super quick and after a quick fry in the grill pan, you are ready to go. Of course it’s better to make the homemade doner kebab recipe, but when you are late to start dinner, these are nice to have!
We also keep bags of Lebanese style pita bread in the freezer to quickly thaw for pizzas anytime. Portions of kebab sauce can be frozen as well, to thaw for a kebab pizza or similar chicken kebab pizza.
What to Serve with Kebab Pizza Pita Recipe
Swedish style kebab pizzas are best served with Swedish pizza salad (Svensk Pizzasallad). If you like, you can serve additional kebab sauce and some olives on the side.
These pizzas with cabbage pizza salad are filling, and the last time we made this, we only ate half a pizza each. It was really nice to have the other half with pizza salad again the next day for lunch.
More Pita Pizzas For Easy Weeknight Dinners
Pita pizzas have been saving us from takeout and drive thrus for as long as we can remember. We even prefer these to going to a pizzeria. Sure, the pitas have less doughy texture, but they also have less carbs. Even better if you love thin crust.
For us, it’s the way to go from now on. They are cost effective, efficient, fast, healthy and taste amazing, what more can we possibly ask for? Oh, and they’re customizable and fun to create!
Try these favorites:
- Chicken and Roasted Red Peppers? Kebab Chicken Pizza Pita Recipe
- Got Basil? You’ll love our Margherita Pita Pizza
- Have a Can of Clams? Give our Clam and Kale Pita Pizza a go!
- One More Can of Clams? Try this Clam White Sauce Pita Pizza!
- A Can of Artichokes? Try Artichoke Fresh Mozzarella Pita Pizza
- A Tin of Sardines in Tomato Sauce? Make this Sardine and Tomato Pita Pizza
- Have Dates and Arugula? You’ll love this Date Arugula Goat Cheese Pita Pizza
- Tinned Mackerel in Tomato Sauce? Try this tasty Mackerel Pita Pizza.
- Cans of Tuna? I see a Tuna Melt Pita Pizza in your near future!
- Can of Crab Meat or Lump Crab? Check out this Spicy Crab Melt Pita Pizza.
- Have leftover turkey? Leftover Turkey Tikka Masala Pita Pizza
- Have Shellfish? Red Lobster Style Crab and Lobster Pita Pizza
You’ll Also Love
It’s a tempting recipe and so easy to make. Roll it up in foil just like the kebab shops.
You will look forward to these again and again!
And if you’re into air fryer French fries – you’ll appreciate this doner kebab plate (kebabtallrik). It’s a savory combination of crispy fries, spicy kebab meat and refreshing salad that is hard to resist! Especially with kebab sauce that is amazing to dip fries into!
Kebab Pizza Pita Recipe
Kebab Pita Pizza
Air Fryer French Fries
- 2 Potatoes, large, yellow or white
- ¼ cup Avocado Oil
White Doner Kebab Sauce (kebabsås)
- ½ Cup Dahi, or plain yogurt
- ¼ Cup Labneh, or plain Greek yogurt
- 1.5 tablespoons Sweet Chili Sauce, rooster brand
- ½ teaspoon Hot Sauce, Franks Red Hot
- ½ teaspoon Hot Sauce, Green Tabasco, optional
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Taco Seasoning, sub kebabkrydda or all purpose seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon Salt, Himalayan
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper, black pepper fresh ground or white pepper
- Start by peeling the potatoes and cut them into ¼-inch sticks. Place them in a medium sized mixing bowl and add the avocado oil. Mix the potato sticks well so they are evenly coated in the oil.
- Place the potato strips in the air fryer basket.
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions to cook the potatoes. We use a Philips Air Fryer and cook fries according to these steps:1) Run for 10 minutes at 350 °F.2) Flip the fries using a spatula and run for 10 minutes again.3) Flip the fries again and run for an additional 5 minutes.
- While the fries are cooking in the Air Fryer, pan fry your kebab or gyro slices (thaw out first if using frozen) in a frying pan or griddle pan. A few minutes on each side until they look a little golden and cooked through. Be sure to not overcook or burn them. Set aside on a plate until you are ready to assemble the pita pizzas.
- Preheat oven to 450 °F. Line an oven save baking sheet with parchment paper and place two Lebanese style pita breads on it.
- Divide pizza sauce and spread evenly to cover surface of both pita breads.
- Divide the shredded cheese and sprinkle evenly on both pita breads.
- Divide the doner kebab meat and place it evenly on both pita breads.
- Bake in oven for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Optionally, sprinkle on lettuce. Drizzle the kebab sauce over both pizzas and garnish with pepperoncini peppers.
- Transfer to individual plates and serve with pizza salad and additional kebab sauce on the side if you like.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.