Instant Pot wild rice mushroom pilaf, is a steakhouse restaurant style, hearty side dish, similar to the Keg mushroom rice that you can serve alongside a steak dinner with tender meat, gravy and vegetables.
But this is an easy recipe that you can make at home. Using a pressure cooker makes this incredibly simple, but the result is a delicious side dish that seems as though you’ve been cooking all day!
It’s the perfect complement to so many mains, from Instant Pot pork tenderloin with gravy, to a BBQ steak dinner, Instant Pot beef tenderloin with gravy and seafood dishes like spicy maple soy salmon fillets.
Instant Pot mushroom rice pilaf is so good and it always reminds us of steakhouse style, particularly The Keg mushroom rice.
You can’t go wrong with this mushroom rice pilaf. The earthy umami flavors in the dish pair so well with any sauteed or steamed vegetables.
Content in this Post
- Ingredients in Instant Pot Wild Rice Mushroom Pilaf
- How To Make Instant Pot Wild Rice Mushroom Pilaf
- STEP 1: Rinse the Rice and Mushrooms
- STEP 2: Slice Mushrooms and Add To Instant Pot
- STEP 3: Sauté Mushrooms
- STEP 4: Sauté Onions
- STEP 5: Add Rice, Mushrooms and Broth
- What To Serve With Instant Pot Wild Rice Mushroom Pilaf
- Storage Tips For Instant Pot Wild Rice Mushroom Pilaf
- More Easy Instant Pot Side Dishes
- You’ll Also Love
Ingredients in Instant Pot Wild Rice Mushroom Pilaf
- Wild Rice — a rice blend of long and wild rice.
- Chicken Broth — homemade or store bought chicken broth for convenience
- Mushrooms — fresh white or button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced. You can keep the slices large, or dice the mushrooms into smaller pieces if you prefer the mushrooms to blend in more with the rice.
- Onion — diced onion, yellow, white or red.
- Green Onion — or scallion, sliced.
- Garlic — fresh garlic clove, peeled and minced or put through a garlic press.
- Avocado Oil — we prefer avocado oil but you can substitute other oils. In particular, olive oil and sesame oil are also good choices in this recipe.
- Salt — add about a teaspoon or more, to taste
How To Make Instant Pot Wild Rice Mushroom Pilaf
STEP 1: Rinse the Rice and Mushrooms
Rinse the long and wild rice mix, until the water runs clear. Set aside until ready to use. I like to set the rice (still in the strainer) on top of a large plate to catch any water that continues to drain.
Rinse the mushrooms to clean them. You can wipe them clean with a cloth if you prefer.
STEP 2: Slice Mushrooms and Add To Instant Pot
Slice the mushrooms in pieces with equal thickness.
Add the sliced mushrooms to the Instant Pot.
STEP 3: Sauté Mushrooms
Sauté the mushrooms until they turn golden and shrink in size.
Once complete, remove mushrooms to a bowl and set aside.
STEP 4: Sauté Onions
Add in the diced onions and green onions. Sauté until tender.
STEP 5: Add Rice, Mushrooms and Broth
Add the sautéed mushrooms back into the Instant Pot, along with the wild rice mix.
Pour in the chicken broth. Mix well.
Fasten the lid securely. Move the Instant Pot Pressure valve to Sealing.
Set Instant Pot to cook at HIGH pressure for 15 minutes. Once the 15 minutes of cook time has completed, allow to naturally release pressure for 5 minutes.
Then perform a quick release (move pressure valve to venting) of the remaining pressure.
What To Serve With Instant Pot Wild Rice Mushroom Pilaf
Wild Rice mushroom pilaf is perfect with Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin with gravy, and a vegetable side dish like garlic green beans, Brussel sprouts and seasoned broccoli.
Just like The Keg Steakhouse, you can serve mushroom rice pilaf with sirloin steak and vegetables.
It’s especially delicious with dishes with gravy, to soak up the extra flavors!
Enjoy mushroom rice pilaf with roasted turkey or baked chicken dishes, meatloaf and beef stew.
It’s also an excellent side dish for salmon fillets, particularly spicy maple ginger salmon and garlic lemon butter salmon.
Storage Tips For Instant Pot Wild Rice Mushroom Pilaf
Store cooked Instant Pot wild rice mushroom pilaf in the refrigerator for up to four days. However, keep in mind that the texture of the rice will change, the longer it is kept.
Therefore, it’s best to enjoy the leftovers as soon as you can, within a day or two for optimal freshness.
If you’d like to freeze cooked mushroom rice pilaf, you can, for up to three months. Make sure to use a freezer safe Ziplock bag with the air pressed out or a tightly sealed freezer safe container.
More Easy Instant Pot Side Dishes
- Crispy Brussel Sprouts (shown below)
- Wild Rice Pilaf Red Lobster Style
- Mash Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Mash
- Seasoned Broccoli
- Garlic Green Beans (Red Lobster Copycat)
You’ll Also Love
These fantastic Crispy Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts are another restaurant style favorite that also happens to be perfect with wild rice pilaf.
Instant Pot Mushroom Wild Rice
- 2 Cups Wild Rice, blend of long and wild rice
- 450 g Mushrooms, fresh, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Avocado Oil , divided
- ½ Cup Onion, diced
- ½ Cup Green Onion, sliced
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 2⅓ Cups Chicken Broth
Wash and Prep Rice and Mushrooms
- Rinse wild rice thoroughly, until water runs clear.
- Wash mushrooms.
- Cut mushrooms into even slices. If you'd rather, you can dice the mushrooms into smaller pieces to blend in with the rice.
Sauté Mushrooms and Set Aside
- Sauté mushrooms in Instant Pot in 1 tbsp avocado oil.
- Stir them in Sauté mode until they are golden and reduce in size.
- Transfer the sautéed mushrooms to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Add diced onions, sliced green onions and minced garlic to the Instant Pot
- Add 1 tbsp avocado oil and sauté the onions for a minute or two. When that is complete, press Cancel button to turn off the Sauté mode.
Cook the Mushroom Pilaf in Instant Pot
- Place mushrooms and wild rice into the Instant Pot with the oil and onions.
- Pour in the chicken broth. Fasten the lid securely. Move the Instant Pot Pressure valve to Sealing. Set Instant Pot to cook at HIGH pressure for 15 minutes. Once the 15 minutes of cook time has completed, then allow to natural release pressure for 5 minutes. Followed by a quick release (move pressure valve to venting) of the remaining pressure.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.