Perfect anytime, these homemade Instant Pot lamb gyros are a crave worthy meal that you can have on your table with your favorite Greek dishes whenever you want them.
These are so good and ever since we began to make these, we have replaced our freezer stash of store bought pre sliced gyro meat with our own homemade version.
The really nice thing is that our recipe feels so much healthier than the store bought package. When we used to pan fry the grocery store gyros, there would be so much grease in the pan.
Even with draining the slices well, the grease on the gyros was overpowering and we could only have a slice or two.
With these homemade gyro slices, you can help yourself to as many as you like! Our recipe is made with wholesome ingredients.
The Instant Pot gyros are easy to make and they have even more flavor than the packaged varieties. You can slice them thick or thin, and use them in so many recipes.
Our recipe shares tips on how to get the gyro meat to hold together in the Instant Pot, without crumbling or falling apart.
We have found an easy method, to wrap the raw gyro meat roll tightly in a foil package with handles.
You want to be able to slice the meat without the gyros falling apart and our method allows you to slice the gyros well, whether they are warm or cold.
Content in this Post
- Ingredients Used in Instant Pot Lamb Gyros
- How To Make Instant Pot Lamb Gyros
- STEP 1: Mince Garlic and Onion
- STEP 2: Mix The Meat With Ingredients In A Stand Mixer
- STEP 3: Pack Gyro Meat Tightly Into A Roll
- STEP 4: Make The Gyro Meat Roll Packet
- STEP 5: Cook Gyros In Instant Pot
- STEP 6: Place Cooked Gyro Roll On Baking Dish
- STEP 7: Broil Gyro Meat Roll in Oven
- What To Serve With Instant Pot Lamb Gyros
- Best Uses For Leftover Lamb Gyros
- Storage Tips for Lamb Gyros
- More Favorite Instant Pot Recipes
- You’ll Also Love
Ingredients Used in Instant Pot Lamb Gyros
- Lamb — one pound of ground lamb, you can substitute ground beef although the lamb is important for authentic flavor of the dish. You can easily double the recipe, by adding another packet next to the first one in your Instant Pot (make two separate rolls so the cook time will be the same since it’s based on thickness of the meat roll).
- Onions — finely diced red onions, can substitute yellow or white onions.
- Garlic — garlic cloves, peeled
- Seasoning — Greek seasoning, can be homemade or store bought for convenience.
- Salt — Himalayan pink salt, ground
How To Make Instant Pot Lamb Gyros
It’s easy to make homemade lamb gyros and you’ll be delighted to have your own version of these instead of store bought.
STEP 1: Mince Garlic and Onion
Place the onions and garlic into a food processor and mince into small pieces, but not liquid.
STEP 2: Mix The Meat With Ingredients In A Stand Mixer
In a stand mixer, with a paddle attachment, place the meat with minced garlic and onions, seasoning and salt. Mix well.
STEP 3: Pack Gyro Meat Tightly Into A Roll
When the meat is well mixed, remove from stand mixer and form into a tight roll. Place the gyros roll on top of a large sheet of aluminum foil.
STEP 4: Make The Gyro Meat Roll Packet
Roll the gyros roll tightly in the aluminum foil and create handles for easy transfer of the meat roll in and out of the Instant Pot.
STEP 5: Cook Gyros In Instant Pot
Place two cups of water and a trivet (metal or silicone) into the Instant Pot. Put the foil packet with gyro meat onto the trivet. *To double the recipe, place two separate foil wrapped one pound meat rolls on the trivet, side by side. This is to ensure the cook time that is based on thickness of the meat will stay the same.
Fasten the lid. Move the pressure valve to SEALING and set Instant Pot timer to 30 minutes.
Allow meat to cook for 30 minutes and allow the Instant Pot to naturally release its pressure, until the pressure pin drops completely.
STEP 6: Place Cooked Gyro Roll On Baking Dish
Preheat oven to BROIL setting (500°F). Once the meat is cooked, remove the foil packet from the Instant Pot and transfer it to an oven safe baking dish.
Open the packet, but keep the foil underneath.
STEP 7: Broil Gyro Meat Roll in Oven
Place the oven safe dish with the gyros, into the oven. Broil on each side for a few minutes (about 3 minutes on each side) until golden all around. Be sure to stay nearby to check on it, as it can burn quickly if left for too long.
Once that is complete, the gyros are ready to slice and serve! Optionally, you can pan fry the cooked gyro slices in a little oil before serving.
What To Serve With Instant Pot Lamb Gyros
Instant Pot lamb gyros can be made into gyro pita wraps or gyro plates with salad and fries.
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Horiatiki Salad
- Greek Orzo With Feta
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Chicken Souvlaki
- Air Fryer French Fries
We love to serve Instant Pot lamb gyros as part of a Greek inspired menu with the recipes from the above list.
Best Uses For Leftover Lamb Gyros
Storage Tips for Lamb Gyros
Keep cooked lamb gyros in the refrigerator for up to three days. Make sure it’s covered in an air tight container.
Cooked Lamb gyros can be frozen if tightly wrapped. You can keep the cooked gyros roll in tact or in slices.
More Favorite Instant Pot Recipes
- IKEA Swedish Meatballs
- Homemade Doner Kebab Meat
- Eggplant and Chickpea Stew (Maghmour)
- Lemon Red Lentil Soup (Shorbet Adas)
- Eggplant Curry With Bell Peppers
- Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani)
- Italian Meatballs With Sauce
You’ll Also Love
Instant Pot Lamb Gyros
- 1 pound Lamb Mince, ground lamb, sub beef although lamb provides more authentic flavor
- ½ cup Red Onions, diced fine, sub yellow or white
- 2 tablespoons Greek Seasoning
- 4 cloves Garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon Salt, Himalayan pink
Blend The Onions With Garlic
- Add onions and garlic to a food processor.
- Blend until onions and garlic is minced, but not liquid.
Mix the Meat With Ingredients in Stand Mixer
- Place meat, minced onions and garlic, seasoning and salt into a stand mixer.
- Use the paddle attachment to combine meat with the rest of the ingredients. This will ensure the texture of the meat is denser.
Make the Gyro Meat Roll Packet
- Once the meat is well mixed, take it out and form into a tight roll shape. Place on top of a sheet of aluminum foil.
- Wrap the meat tightly in a foil packet, leaving handles to help with transferring the gyros in and out of the Instant Pot.
Cook Gyros in Instant Pot
- Pour 2 cups of water into the Instant Pot. Add a trivet (metal or silicone) into the Instant Pot. Place gyros on the trivet. *If you are doubling the recipe, you will need to place two separate foil packets on the trivet, with one pound of meat in each to keep the cook time the same. This is because the cook time depends on the thickness of the meat.Fasten the lid. Turn the pressure valve to SEALING and set Instant Pot timer to 30 minutes. Once it has cooked for 30 minutes, allow a natural release of pressure.
Broil Gyro Meat Roll in Oven
- Preheat oven to BROIL setting (500°F). When the Instant Pot has released its pressure and the pressure valve is completely down, open the lid. Place the foil packet onto an oven safe baking dish, and unwrap, keeping the foil underneath the gyros.
- Place the baking dish with the gyros into the oven and broil for about three minutes on each side until it is golden all around. Be sure to stay close by and check on it, to ensure the meat doesn't burn.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.