Distinctly flavorful and aromatic, this restaurant quality Instant Pot Fenugreek Chicken (Methi Murgh) with dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) is super easy to make in a pressure cooker.
Fenugreek Chicken (aka methi chicken or kasuri methi chicken) is a flavorful chicken curry made with fresh or dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi).
It’s an extremely flavorful and fragrant dish, with a savory gravy that is perfect over basmati rice.
It has long been one of our favorite restaurant dishes, that we often choose for special occasions.
We love to make it at home nowadays, so quickly and easily in an Instant Pot, to enjoy with more curries like mango chicken curry, butter chicken, shrimp tikka masala, aloo gobi and others.
Content in this Post
- What is Fenugreek Chicken?
- Ingredients in Instant Pot Fenugreek Chicken (Methi Murgh)
- How to Make Instant Pot Fenugreek Chicken (Methi Murgh)
- STEP 1: Soak The Fenugreek
- STEP 2: Fry Spices and Aromatics
- STEP 3: Add Tomatoes, Chicken & Spices
- STEP 4: Add Fenugreek Leaves & Water
- STEP 5: Add Dahi
- STEP 6 Thicken Sauce if Necessary
- What To Serve With Instant Pot Fenugreek Chicken (Methi Murgh)
- More Instant Pot Curries
- Storage Tips For Instant Pot Fenugreek Chicken (Methi Murgh)
- You’ll Also Love
What is Fenugreek Chicken?
Fenugreek chicken (methi chicken) is a spiced, aromatic chicken curry with a savory gravy made with fresh or dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi).
Fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi) and fenugreek seeds are frequently used in Indian cooking to add distinct flavor to curries.
Ingredients in Instant Pot Fenugreek Chicken (Methi Murgh)
- Chicken — boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thighs or tenders, chopped in bite sized pieces.
- Dry Fenugreek Leaves — also called Kasuri methi, available in Indian grocery stores, let soak in water for a few minutes while prepping the veggies.
- Onions — diced red onions, or sub yellow or white onions.
- Tomato — fresh diced tomatoes, or sub canned.
- Green Chili — one to three green chilis *NOTE: they are very spicy, we recommend one chili if you are unsure of spice level.
- Garlic — fresh cloves, peeled and minced or put through a garlic press.
- Ginger — a one inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated.
- Garam Masala — a blend of common Indian spices, you can purchase at Indian grocery stores or in well stocked aisles, or make your own homemade blend.
- Fenugreek — As well as fenugreek leaves above, we also add in some fenugreek powder from fenugreek seeds.
- Turmeric — ground turmeric
- Salt — Himalayan pink salt, ground, or regular salt is ok.
- Cumin — ground cumin
- Coriander — ground cumin
- Chili — ground Kashmiri chili powder, it is spicier than regular chili powder. You can find it in Indian grocery stores. Use less if unsure of spice tolerance as a little goes a long way.
- Bay Leaf — Indian bay leaf, available in Indian grocery stores.
- Cinnamon — cinnamon stick
- Oil — avocado oil or you can sub other oils.
- Dahi — a plain yogurt curd, or sub plain yogurt or coconut milk.
How to Make Instant Pot Fenugreek Chicken (Methi Murgh)
STEP 1: Soak The Fenugreek
In a small bowl, add dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) and one cup of water. Allow fenugreek leaves to soak while preparing the vegetables.
STEP 2: Fry Spices and Aromatics
Heat oil in sauté mode. Place cardamom pods, Indian bay leaves and cinnamon stick into the Instant Pot.
Toss in the diced onions, green chilis (use one green chili for milder, two for medium and three for spicy), minced garlic and ginger.
STEP 3: Add Tomatoes, Chicken & Spices
Place the tomatoes in the Instant Pot and sauté for five minutes.
Next, place the chicken pieces as well as the dry spices into the Instant Pot.
STEP 4: Add Fenugreek Leaves & Water
Place the soaked fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) as well as the water into the Instant Pot with the chicken and stir well.
Secure the lid and move the pressure valve to sealing. Pressure cook on HIGH pressure, normal temperature, for 7 minutes. Quick release the pressure when the cycle is completed.
STEP 5: Add Dahi
When the pressure pin has dropped completely, open lid. Pour in Dahi or coconut milk and stir.
STEP 6 Thicken Sauce if Necessary
This is an optional step to thicken the sauce. If you’d like, you can remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and set aside.
Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode and allow to simmer until the sauce reduces to desired thickness.
Then, add the chicken pieces back in.
What To Serve With Instant Pot Fenugreek Chicken (Methi Murgh)
You can serve fenugreek chicken with any combination of basmati rice, naan, roti, as well as with vegetable, meat or seafood curries.
Enjoy it with any of the following:
- Instant Pot Basmati Rice
- Bhindi Masala Okra Curry
- Lemon Dill Raita
- Easy Cucumber Raita
- Skillet Shrimp Tikka Masala
Fenugreek Methi Chicken can be served with any of the Instant Pot Curries listed below.
More Instant Pot Curries
- Mango Chicken Curry (shown below)
- Aloo Gobi
- Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken)
- Capsicum Rajma
- Potato Masala With Beets
- Masoor Dal Sambar With Okra
- Eggplant Curry With Bell Peppers
- Chana Dal With Spinach
- Radish Sambar
- Chana Masala Chickpeas Stew
Storage Tips For Instant Pot Fenugreek Chicken (Methi Murgh)
Refrigerate fenugreek chicken in an airtight container for up to three days.
Place in a freezer safe container to freeze for up to four months.
You’ll Also Love
Savory and sweet, this Instant Pot Mango Chicken made with canned Kesar mango pulp or homemade mango purée is a delight to the senses. We love it with Fenugreek Chicken and vegetable curries.
Instant Pot Fenugreek Chicken (Methi Murgh)
- ½ cup Fenugreek Leaves, dry
- 1 cup Water, filtered
- 1 tablespoon Avocado Oil
- 6 Cardamom Pods
- 2 Bay Leaves, Indian
- 1 cup Onions, chopped
- 3 Green Chilis
- 1 inch Ginger, grated
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 1-½ pounds Chicken Thighs, cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon Fenugreek Powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Coriander
- ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 cup Dahi, sub Greek or natural yogurt
- Pour the dry fenugreek leaves into a small bowl and add a cup of filtered water. Press down all the leaves below the water surface and set aside to soak.
- Press Sauté on the 6 quart Instant Pot and add the avocado oil. When the display reads HOT add the cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaves. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the onions, minced garlic and grated ginger. Sauté for 3 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and all the dry spices (except for the soaking fenugreek leaves). Sauté for 10 minutes while stirring occasionally to seal in the spices in the chicken.
- Pour in the fenugreek leaves including the water and stir well. Secure the lid and move the pressure valve to sealing. Pressure cook on HIGH pressure, normal temperature, for 7 minutes. Quick release the pressure when the cycle is completed.
- When safe to do so, carefully remove the lid and add the dahi. Stir well.
To Thicken The Curry If Needed (Optional)
- Remove the chicken pieces from the Instant Pot and place in a medium size glass bowl.
- Press Sauté on the Instant Pot and let simmer without lid for 10 minutes, or until the curry has reach the desired thickness.
- Add back the chicken and mix. Remove the bay leaves and cinnamon stick before serving. Pairs well with Instant Pot Basmati Rice and Cucumber Raita.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.