This IKEA shrimp sandwich (räksmörgås) is the perfect reward for making it to the halfway point of your shopping trip. But, when you have cold water shrimp, you can enjoy this amazing sandwich any day!
It is super easy to make and this savory sandwich is perfect to serve as an appetizer or a quick and elegant lunch.
This open faced shrimp sandwich is already lower in carbs in that only one bread slice is used instead of two slices.
But it can be made even lower in carbs with a low carb gluten free bread like Carbonaut.
Although, you can use any bread you prefer. Rye and multigrain types that are slightly firm to the touch are also great choices.
Instead of mayo, we like to make ours with a mix of labneh, sour cream and lemon juice to keep saturated fat and calories down. You can certainly use mayo in these if you’d rather.
Content in this Post
Ingredients in IKEA Shrimp Sandwich
- Bread — as these are open faced sandwiches, only one bread slice is needed for each shrimp sandwich. You can use your favorite bread. We like Carbonaut, a low carb, gluten free bread. Rye and multigrain breads are also good.
- Shrimp — Specifically, cold water shrimp, you can usually find them at your local IKEA grocery, or in the freezer section of your grocery store.
- Egg — you will need a hard cooked egg for each sandwich. Try this easy Instant Pot hard boiled egg recipe to get perfectly cooked through, easy to peel eggs!
- Labneh — a thick yogurt, similar to cream cheese in flavor and texture that you will love for its creaminess in this sandwich instead of mayo. Although, if you prefer mayo, you can definitely make this with mayo.
- Sour Cream — use regular full fat sour cream, not low calorie or fat free.
- Lemon Juice — freshly squeezed lemon juice is recommended for the best flavor.
- Lettuce — fresh and washed lettuce leaves, iceberg, romaine or other leafy greens can be used.
- Optional Garnishes — Lemon slices, cucumber slices and fresh dill sprigs can be incorporated into the sandwich presentation.
How To Make IKEA Shrimp Sandwich
The classic IKEA style shrimp sandwich is really easy to make. You will need a hard boiled egg or more, depending on how many sandwiches you plan to make.
Begin by placing one bread slice on the plate. Place the lettuce, sliced egg and labneh mix on the bread in that order.
Then, cover the slices of egg with cold water shrimp. Most of the time we prepare this IKEA shrimp sandwich with plain cold water shrimp. We love the flavor of these shrimp as they are – they are so good as is!
Although, if you prefer the shrimp to be creamy, you can make this with shrimp salad sandwich (räkröra) filling. We’ve seen both plain shrimp and creamy shrimp versions of open faced shrimp sandwiches at IKEA. It’s up to you which you prefer, they’re both easy to make.
Just put a dollop of this shrimp salad sandwich mix on top of the open faced sandwiches instead of plain shrimp. The labneh and sour cream will be in the shrimp mix instead of on top of the eggs in the pics below.
Feel free to garnish your shrimp sandwich with your favorite toppings such as sliced cucumber, dill, chives and lemon slices.
How to Hard Cook Eggs in Instant Pot
We hard cook our eggs in our Instant Pot. It’s really simple to follow this recipe for hard boiled eggs:
Add one and a half cups of water to the Instant Pot.
Place the trivet in and place the number of eggs you need on the trivet. Secure the lid and set to HIGH Pressure for five minutes.
Let the pressure naturally release for two minutes.
Quick release the remaining pressure and then carefully transfer the cooked eggs to a container with ice cold water (ensure the eggs are fully submerged in the cold water). Allow the eggs to cool in the water for five minutes. Then, you can remove the eggs from the water and peel them.
What to Serve With IKEA Shrimp Sandwich (Räksmörgås)
When we’re at IKEA, we often order the smoked salmon gravlax salad with mixed greens to go with our shrimp sandwiches.
Fortunately, you can also make your own smoked salmon gravlax plates at home. We always pick up an extra pack of gravlax from the supermarket to make smoked salmon gravlax salad to go with our shrimp sandwiches.
A seafood or clam chowder would also make a special side dish to go with this meal. As well as any soup of the day that you have made. We never miss the soup du jour at IKEA, and especially love their vegetable soup!
Plus, if you’d like to recreate the IKEA experience at home, these Instant Pot Swedish meatballs are an easy and super satisfying dish that everyone will love.
You can serve shrimp sandwiches with a sparkling beverage such as non-alcoholic pear or apple cider (IKEA usually sells these in their grocery as well).
Preparation and Storage Tips
We like to keep a bag or two of cold water shrimp in the freezer so we can make these shrimp sandwiches whenever we get the craving. Just thaw the shrimp, give a quick rinse and drain.
Dry them with a paper towel or clean kitchen towel and they are ready to be placed on top of the lettuce, labneh mix and sliced egg on your sandwich.
Once made, the sandwich can be kept well, covered, in the refrigerator for two to three days. We recommend limiting to one or two days to remain at its freshest.
What To Do With Leftover IKEA Shrimp Sandwich
Once made, these sandwiches are delectable and impossible to pass up.
That said, I doubt there is such a thing as any leftovers here.
With leftover cold water shrimp, you can make shrimp sushi roll uramaki.
More Sandwiches Without Mayo
Just like this shrimp sandwich, the following creamy classics are made with a decadent mix of labneh and sour cream instead of mayo.
- Crab Salad(Krabbröra)
- Salmon Salad (Laxsallad)
- Tuna Salad (Tonfiskröra)
- Shrimp Salad (Räkröra) a creamy cold water shrimp salad mix as an alternative to using plain cold water shrimp.
- Smoked Salmon Salad (Laxröra)
- Chicken Salad (Kycklingröra)
- Lobster Salad (Hummersallad)
- Egg Salad (Äggsallad)
- Last but definitely not least, Doner kebab meat salad sandwich (Kebabröra) is a super flavorful creamy sandwich mix with bursts of flavor from chopped doner kebab meat that you can easily make in your Instant Pot!
Labneh, a thick yogurt similar in flavor and texture to cream cheese makes these sandwiches irresistible, while also being lower in calories and saturated fat than those with mayo.
They are super satisfying and you will always want them this way. You won’t miss the mayo here.
You’ll Also Love
If you’re a fan of cold water shrimp, don’t forget to check out this seafood smörgåstårta. It’s the perfect sandwich cake for an upcoming special occasion.
Swedish style savory sandwich cakes are made with several sandwich fillings, depending on how many layers you want to have.
It requires some advance planning, to mix some sandwich fillings to use in your sandwich cake, but the result is totally worth it! See our recipe for each step of the process.
You can garnish yours creatively, with your favorite toppings. We love smoked salmon and cold water shrimp!
And if you really want to go all out – you have to see this lobster sandwich cake with lobster, crab and both jumbo and cold water shrimp!
Another classic Swedish style sandwich mix that you cannot miss is this amazingly savory gubbröra recipe made with a stunning blend of cooked egg, potato, anchovies and caviar (or seaweed pearls).
Whether you enjoy IKEA shrimp sandwich on it’s own or as part of a larger Swedish inspired meal, you will absolutely adore it!
IKEA Shrimp Sandwich (Räksmörgås)
- 1 slice Carbonaut Bread, low carb, or your preferred bread
- 1 Egg, hard cooked
- 1 Cup Cold Water Shrimp, drained
- ⅛ Cup Labneh, sub mayo if you prefer
- 1 tablespoon Sour Cream, full fat, not light or low fat
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 leaf Lettuce
- 1 sprig Dill, fresh
- 1 slice Lemon
- 1 slice Cucumber
- In a small bowl, add labneh, sour cream and lemon juice.
- Mix to thoroughly combine.
- Place a slice of bread on a plate.
- Cover the bread with lettuce.
- Peel a hard boiled egg. Use an egg slicer to cut the egg. Arrange the sliced egg evenly on top of the lettuce.
- Place a dollop of the labneh mixture on the sandwich and spread over top of the egg slices.
- Add the cold water shrimp over top of the egg slices and labneh.
- Garnish with fresh dill, cucumber and lemon slices. To make the lemon and cucumber curls, cut each round slice upward from the bottom to the midpoint. Pull apart while twisting to form the curl shape.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.