Make this super easy and extremely satisfying homemade doner kebab roll (kebabrulle) whenever you crave it — in other words, all of the time!
This is perfect for a quick lunch or dinner. It’s so good, you’ll be surprised at how easily you can make your own kebab roll (kebabrulle).
Talk about a satisfying late night snack, or early breakfast, you name it! Whenever you like to enjoy this, is the perfect time.
With a simple Instant Pot recipe for kebab meat, you are always good to go!
And with doner kebab meat leftovers you can enjoy these and other faves like doner kebab quesadilla.
Content in this Post
- Ingredients in Homemade Doner Kebab Roll (Kebabrulle)
- Why You’ll Love This Homemade Doner Kebab Roll (Kebabrulle)
- How To Make Homemade Doner Kebab Roll (Kebabrulle)
- STEP 1 – Prepare Bread and Toppings
- STEP 2 — Add Doner Kebab Meat and Kebab Sauce
- STEP 3 — Roll it Up!
- Lower Carb Bread Option for Kebab Roll (Kebabrulle)
- What To Serve With Homemade Doner Kebab Roll (Kebabrulle)
- Preparation and Storage Tips
- More Doner Kebab Recipes
- You’ll Also Love
Ingredients in Homemade Doner Kebab Roll (Kebabrulle)
- Pita Bread — we use a Lebanese style pita bread, that we use kitchen scissors to cut around the circumference, in half. This reduced the amount of carbs in the bread by half, since it is only half of the bread! You can use the bread as is, without cutting it if you don’t mind it whole. Other styles of pita breads can be used, it’s totally up to you whichever you prefer!
- Kebab Meat — pre-cooked from our Instant Pot doner kebab meat recipe.
- Lettuce — sliced iceberg or romaine lettuce leaves.
- Tomato — sliced thinly in rounds.
- Cucumber — sliced thinly in rounds.
- Onion — sliced red onion, white or yellow onion can also be used.
- Kebab Sauce — follow this easy kebab sauce recipe!
- Hot Peppers — hot banana pickled pepper rings.
- Pickled Chili Peppers — Lombardi peppers are the pickled chili peppers that are commonly served with kebab. But if you can’t find them, pepperoncini peppers are a good substitute.
Why You’ll Love This Homemade Doner Kebab Roll (Kebabrulle)
It’s easy to make your own homemade doner kebab roll, and trust us, they’re addictive!
You’ll want to make them often.
And the good news is, with an easy Instant Pot recipe for kebab meat (kebabkott), you can make them anytime!
Our recipe for homemade kebab meat, as opposed to some similar store bought gyros, have no fillers and are not greasy.
How To Make Homemade Doner Kebab Roll (Kebabrulle)
STEP 1 – Prepare Bread and Toppings
Once you have your sliced homemade kebab meat ready to go. Place a pita bread on a sheet of aluminum foil.
Stack your favorite toppings on the bread.
STEP 2 — Add Doner Kebab Meat and Kebab Sauce
Then arrange slices of kebab meat over the vegetables. And drizzle on some super delish kebab sauce. You’ll also want to serve some kebab sauce on the side!
STEP 3 — Roll it Up!
Start at one end and roll it up tightly. Add a pepper or two for garnish if you like.
Lower Carb Bread Option for Kebab Roll (Kebabrulle)
We help the carb situation out by cutting our Lebanese style pita bread in half (it’s still the same sized round circle, but without the pocket). Only do this if you are going to enjoy the kebab roll right away, the bread won’t hold up if stored for a long time with sauce.
We cut the pita with kitchen scissors around the circumference to make two pitas out of one, and reduce carbs by half (16g net carbs instead of 32g).
This is certainly optional, and this type of pita is already a little lower in carbs than some other bread choices.
But, if you are interested in lower carb meals, you can always try it and see if it works for you. Otherwise, use the whole bread without cutting it.
Maybe, enjoy half of the kebab sandwich now and save the rest for later. The kebab roll is a hefty meal in itself, and especially with filling low carb cabbage pizza salad as a side dish.
We liked how the kebab roll with less bread made the flavor of the meat, toppings and sauce more prominent.
What To Serve With Homemade Doner Kebab Roll (Kebabrulle)
- Kebab Sauce — you’ll love to have plenty of kebab sauce to use in the kebab roll and serve on the side.
- Kebab Shop Turkish Red Cabbage Salad — a low carb, satisfying side dish with finely shredded red cabbage and a tangy lemon dressing
- Swedish Style Pizza Salad — cabbage pizza salad, similar to coleslaw, but with a light dressing. It’s filling and makes a perfect side dish for kebab.
- Lemon Lentil Soup — red lentils cook up into the creamiest soup with a tangy lemon flavor.
- Air Fryer French Fries — these crispy, easy fries are better for you than their store bought counterparts. If you love fries with kebab, you’ll want to check out this doner kebab plate (kebabtallrik) asap!
Preparation and Storage Tips
These kebab rolls (kebabrulle) are best consumed when made, but they are good for about a day in the fridge.
Make a double batch and keep kebab meat (whole or sliced ready to go) in your freezer, to thaw out quick when you need it!
We used to keep precooked and pre-sliced store bought gyro meat in our freezer, but have since replaced those with our healthier, homemade recipe.
But the concept is still the same. Pack up the sliced precooked meat, lay them flat in the freezer bag and they’ll thaw quickly.
Toss the kebab slices into a fry pan and cook a few minutes on each side until they’re a nice golden color.
More Doner Kebab Recipes
- Doner Kebab Quesadilla
- Doner Kebab Poutine
- Doner Kebab Salad Sandwich Mix (Kebabröra)
- Doner Kebab Seasoning (Kebabkrydda)
- Crustless Quiche Doner Kebab
You’ll Also Love
It’s another perfect way to enjoy leftover meat from this easy Instant Pot doner kebab recipe.
Homemade Doner Kebab Roll (Kebabrulle)
- Place a pita bread on top of a piece of aluminum foil. Let the pita extend over the top of the foil, an inch or so.
- Place shredded lettuce on top of the pita.
- Add toppings (tomato slices, cucumber slices, sliced onions, hot peppers, pepperoncini).
- Heat a little oil in a fry pan and add the precooked kebab meat. Add a bit of extra doner kebab spice (kebabkrydda), for some extra seasoning, if you like. Fry for a couple of minutes on each side until they are golden. Remove from heat and allow to cool a bit (they can be warm).
- Arrange precooked and warmed kebab meat slices over top of the vegetables.
- Drizzle kebab sauce over the kebab meat.
- Roll it all up, using the foil for the restaurant experience. Enjoy!
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.