This homemade doner kebab plate (kebabtallrik) is everything you want in popular restaurant take out, a perfect combination of salted crispy fries, spicy kebab meat, savory kebab sauce and refreshing cold salad.
“…and the fries are just awesome to dip in the kebab sauce too, eh?” Oh yes, they are!
So when you’re at a restaurant it’s a perfect choice when you can’t decide – a tantalizing trio of meat, fries and salad that won’t disappoint.
And don’t forget a side of kebab sauce or two (both white and red).
But, when you can’t get to a doner kebab shop, you can easily make your own!
Make this easy homemade kebab plate with Instant Pot doner kebab, easy air fryer French fries and kebab sauce. Speaking of fries and kebab sauce, you won’t want to miss this amazing doner kebab poutine.
Plus, stock a jar or two of hot kebab peppers and you are well on your way to a homemade kebab plate kebabtallrik.
We make these often and not only are they easy, but a healthier option than takeout while still full of flavor!
Content in this Post
What is Doner Kebab Plate (Kebabtallrik)?
A doner kebab plate (kebabtallrik) is made of Turkish doner kebab style meat slices arranged on a plate over crispy fries. It comes with a side salad of lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, and kebab peppers with a drizzle of doner kebab sauce.
It is popular in Sweden and is a common fast food or take out option.
Ingredients in Homemade Doner Kebab Plate (Kebabtallrik)
- Doner kebab meat (Kebabkött) — we use our Instant Pot doner kebab meat recipe for quick and delicious kebab, healthier version than store bought options, although you can use ready made precooked kebab or gyro meat.
- Potatoes — white or yellow potatoes, peeled, for Air Fryer French Fries. A mandoline helps to slice the potatoes into typical French fry shape.
- Lettuce — fresh lettuce, thinly sliced.
- Cucumber — sliced thinly into rounds.
- Tomato — sliced thinly into rounds.
- Onion — thinly sliced.
- Hot Peppers — use jarred, hot banana pickled peppers or similar chili pepper rings.
- Kebab Peppers — Lombardi peppers are common kebab peppers, but if you can’t find them you can substitute pepperoncini peppers.
- White Doner Kebab Sauce (Kebabsås) — we use our easy five minute recipe for kebab sauce.
- Red Doner Kebab Sauce — tomato based garlic chili sauce.
- Doner Kebab Spice Blend (Kebabkrydda) — add a little extra spice (half a teaspoon or so) to the pan when you fry your kebab meat to reheat it until it has a nice golden color. You may be able to find kebabkrydda in grocery stores depending on where you live, otherwise you can use our recipe for kebab spice kebabkrydda.
- Salt — Himalayan pink salt, ground, to sprinkle over the air fryer French fries.
- Oil — avocado oil for frying the kebab in the pan, and some for the air fryer French fries.
How To Make Homemade Doner Kebab Plate (Kebabtallrik)
STEP 1: Peel potatoes, slice them with a mandolin and toss them in a bit of oil and into your air fryer.
STEP 2: Slice your pre-cooked doner kebab meat, from Instant Pot Doner Kebab recipe.
STEP 3: Add air fryer French fries to a plate, with sliced doner kebab meat. Cover with kebab sauce, kebab red sauce (optional).
STEP 4: Then garnish the plate with a side salad of lettuce, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and hot peppers.
What To Serve With Homemade Doner Kebab Plate (Kebabtallrik)
The kebab plate is more than a meal in itself. You don’t need to make any more side dishes.
But if you like, you can serve additional side salads, as you can’t ever go wrong with more greens:
- Kebab Shop Turkish Red Cabbage Salad — a low carb and satisfying shredded red cabbage salad, zesty and full of flavor with a pop of color!
- Swedish Style Cabbage Pizza Salad — a refreshing, thinly shredded cabbage salad, like coleslaw but with a light dressing. It’s excellent with pita pizzas and doner kebab dishes.
- Asparagus Cucumber Tomato Salad — a favorite easygoing salad with any main course, shown below with the kebab chicken breast plate.
- Quinoa Parsley Salad (Tabbouleh) — flavorful parsley salad with gluten free quinoa.
If you’d like a soup that goes well with meat and fries, you can serve Instant Pot red lemon lentil soup.
And don’t forget a refreshing cold beverage!
Preparation and Storage Tips
You’ll want to enjoy this very soon or immediately after it’s made, as the air fryer French fries are best right out of the air fryer. They will be good for a few hours at room temperature after they are made.
Cooked kebab meat can be kept in the fridge for three days, but is best consumed within a day or two.
You can tightly wrap the meat sliced (store flat to thaw quicker) or wrap a whole kebab for storage in the freezer for up to two months.
More Homemade Doner Kebab Recipes
When you have Instant Pot doner kebab meat made, you can use it in so many recipes. This Kebab Plate (kebabtallrik) is the obvious choice, with crispy air fryer French fries (yum!).
But you can also enjoy kebab in these very tempting recipes to change it up:
- Doner Kebab Roll (Kebabrulle) — wrap up Instant Pot doner kebab meat with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onions, kebab peppers and kebab sauce for the ultimate sandwich roll!
- Doner Kebab Pita Pizza (Kebabpizza) — use Instant Pot doner kebab meat recipe in this fantastic kebab pita pizza, that will satisfy your cravings for kebab pizza anytime. With kebab meat, fresh lettuce, kebab peppers and kebab sauce, you’ll come back to this one often!
- Doner Kebab Salad (Kebabsallad) — keep the flavors but reduce the carbs in kebab salad with fresh lettuce and the usual kebab meat, sauce and vegetable toppings.
- Doner Kebab Quesadilla — super delicious spiced doner meat with melted cheese, kebab sauce, thin red onions and hot peppers.
- Doner Kebab Poutine — a comforting favorite appetizer topped with delicious kebab meat, kebab sauce, onions and tomatoes.
- Crustless Quiche Doner Kebab — an ultra satisfying flavorful low carb quiche made with spiced doner kebab meat, kebab sauce, bell peppers and kale.
You’ll Also Love
You’ll love this recipe for doner kebab salad sandwich mix (kebabrora) that you can serve in a baguette or pita wrap.
Homemade Doner Kebab Plate (Kebabtallrik)
Air Fryer French Fries
- 6 Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon Avocado Oil
- 2 teaspoon Salt
Doner Kebab Meat
- 1 pound Doner Kebab Meat, from Instant Pot Doner Kebab recipe
Doner Kebab Sauce
- ½ Cup Dahi, or sour cream
- ¼ Cup Labneh, or Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon Hot Sauce, Frank's
- ½ teaspoon Green Hot Sauce, Green Tabasco
- 1.5 tablespoons Sweet Chili Sauce, Rooster brand
- ½ teaspoon Doner Kebab Spice Blend (Kebabkrydda), sub taco or all purpose
- ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
Doner Kebab Plate Salad Toppings
- 1 head Lettuce, chopped
- 2 Tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 Cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Cup Hot Peppers
- 12 Pepperoncini Peppers, *Lombardi peppers if you can find them
Make Air Fryer French Fries
- Peel five or six medium sized potatoes. Use a mandolin to slice the potatoes into French fry shaped strips. Place the potato strips into a bowl and add a bit of oil. Mix well.
- Transfer the potato strips to the air fryer basket. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may have to run two batches of fries. (Time Saving Tip – in the next step you can chop the veggies while potatoes are cooking in the air fryer. Make the salad and store covered in fridge until the fries, meat and kebab sauce are ready that way the salad will be cold and crisp like the restaurant)
- Set the temperature to 350 °F and the timer to 10 minutes. When 10 minutes has passed, turn the potato strips in the basket and set the timer for 10 minutes again. When the second 10 minutes cycle has passed, turn the potato strips again and set the timer for 5 minutes. When the last 5 minutes has passed, remove the basket from the air fryer and pour the fries into a serving bowl. Add salt to taste.
Pan Fry Precooked Kebab Slices
- Add a half tablespoon of oil, and your precooked doner kebab slices to a frying pan with a half teaspoon or so of doner kebab spice (kebabkrydda) if you like. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until they are a nice golden color. Remove to a plate and keep warm until ready to assemble.
Assemble Doner Kebab Plate (Kebabtallrik)
- Place Air Fryer French Fries on a plate. Add doner kebab meat slices and kebab sauces to the plate, over top of the fries. Arrange a salad with slices of lettuce, tomato, cucumber and hot peppers on one side of the plate. Enjoy!
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.