Easy to make, this smoked salmon gravlax is a super satisfying, fresh tasting sushi roll full of flavor with cucumber, cream cheese, dill and avocado.
We love to get a few packages of smoked salmon gravlax each time we visit IKEA. They are easy to stash in the freezer for use in so many recipes. They lie flat packed and thaw out quickly.
From smoked salmon gravlax salad, to this awesome gravlax salmon sushi roll uramaki, it’s a quick, high quality protein source that you can have on the table in no time.
You can also make two more types of smoked salmon sushi rolls as we have done.
There’s Creamy Gravlax Salmon Sushi Uramaki Roll with smoked salmon salad (laxröra) inside the roll. Plus, Gravlax Salmon Maki Sushi Roll, with the gravlax on the inside of the roll instead of on the outside as in this uramaki roll.
Although, they are all tasty, this gravlax salmon sushi roll uramaki is the clear winner in terms of presentation.
The smoked salmon roll looks stunning with the gravad lax with dill covering the exterior. And with cucumber, cream cheese, avocado and dill, it’s a hearty, satisfying roll.
Content in this Post
- Ingredients in Gravlax Salmon Sushi Roll Uramaki
- How To Make Gravlax Salmon Sushi Roll Uramaki
- STEP 1: Spread Rice on Nori Sheet
- STEP 2: Place Toppings on Nori Sheet
- STEP 3: Roll it Up
- STEP 4: Wrap the Smoked Salmon Around Sushi Roll
- STEP 5: Cut in Pieces
- What Type Of Gravlax To Use?
- What To Serve With Gravlax Salmon Sushi Roll Uramaki
- More Homemade Sushi Rolls
- Storage Tips For Gravlax Salmon Sushi Roll Uramaki
- More Easy Smoked Salmon Recipes
- You’ll Also Love
Ingredients in Gravlax Salmon Sushi Roll Uramaki
- Sushi Rice — from failproof Instant Pot sushi rice recipe
- Nori Sheet — Prepared nori sheets for sushi, can purchase a package at Asian grocery stores and well stocked aisles.
- Smoked Salmon — thaw a frozen package from IKEA Supermarket
- Cucumber — cut cucumber in long strips
- Cream Cheese — cut cream cheese in long strips, regular Philadelphia cream cheese, not low fat or light.
- Dill — a few sprigs of fresh dill
- Avocado — sliced, optional.
Optional Ingredient Variations — can add avocado, bell pepper slices, thin sliced carrots, if desired.
How To Make Gravlax Salmon Sushi Roll Uramaki
STEP 1: Spread Rice on Nori Sheet
The first step is to add rice to the nori sheet. We have outlined a technique for spreading the sushi rice on the nori, that we find makes for easier handling of the sticky rice. We use two plastic rectangular sheets, cut from a large Ziplock bag.
In Step 1, the rice is added between sheets. Next, it’s flattened by hand or a kitchen tool. We find it’s easiest to do by hand. Step 3 shows the flattened rice, about the size of the nori sheet. In Step 4, the nori sheet is placed over top of the rice. The excess rice is trimmed with a knife in Step 5. Lastly, in Step 6, the nori with sushi rice is ready to be rolled. We have shown both options, either uramaki with rice facing down, or maki with the rice side up.
STEP 2: Place Toppings on Nori Sheet
With rice side DOWN, add vegetables and cream cheese to the lower portion of the nori sheet.
STEP 3: Roll it Up
Transfer the nori sheet with rice and toppings (with the plastic) on to a bamboo sushi rolling mat.
Use the mat to roll the sushi roll up tightly. Once you’ve made your sushi roll, remove it from the bamboo mat and plastic.
STEP 4: Wrap the Smoked Salmon Around Sushi Roll
Wrap the smoked salmon gravad lax (gravlax) around the sushi roll to cover.
STEP 5: Cut in Pieces
If the ends are flimsy, you may need to trim them first. With a sharp knife, a thin serrated knife works well, cut salmon sushi roll into equal pieces, about half an inch.
What Type Of Gravlax To Use?
We really like to use the dill cured salmon in our recipes as the dill adds extra flavor and it looks great on the sushi. But the dill is not a necessity. If you prefer plain smoked salmon or one cured with other ingredients, please feel free to use which one you want. You can’t really go wrong with this sushi.
What To Serve With Gravlax Salmon Sushi Roll Uramaki
Sushi rolls are typically served with soy sauce or tamari, Japanese horseradish (wasabi), homemade spicy sriracha sushi dipping sauce (spicy mayo) and pickled ginger.
Miso soup and seaweed salad (wakame) are also perfect as appetizers alongside sushi rolls.
For an even more substantial meal, beef or chicken teriyaki and Japanese potstickers (gyoza) can be served.
Since our failproof Instant Pot sushi rice recipe makes enough rice for eight sushi rolls, you can easily prepare more homemade sushi rolls.
More Homemade Sushi Rolls
Serve gravlax salmon sushi rolls with additional sushi rolls. Once you get started, it’s easy to make more. You can also prep some of the mixes ahead of time to make it easier.
Any of the following are easy to make along with gravlax salmon sushi roll uramaki. We like to make three different types of gravlax salmon sushi rolls with the package(s) of smoked salmon.
- Spicy Canned Tuna Sushi Roll Uramaki
- Shrimp Sushi Roll Uramaki
- Canned Salmon Sushi Roll Uramaki
- Gravlax Salmon Maki Sushi Roll
- Canned Crabmeat Sushi Maki Roll (shown below)
- Creamy Gravlax Salmon Sushi Uramaki Roll
Storage Tips For Gravlax Salmon Sushi Roll Uramaki
Keep gravlax salmon sushi rolls tightly covered, in the fridge for up to three days. Keep in mind that the sushi rice will harden as time passes. As with most seafood dishes, it’s best to enjoy these within a day or two for the freshest flavor and texture.
Unopened packages of gravlax can be kept in the freezer for up to three months. It’s handy to keep a pack or two or gravlax to thaw quickly for use in smoked salmon recipes.
More Easy Smoked Salmon Recipes
Here are some more delicious recipes that you can make with smoked salmon:
- Smoked Salmon Salad Sandwich (Laxröra)
- Smoked Salmon Gravlax Salad (IKEA Copycat) with mustard dill sauce.
You’ll Also Love
Canned Crabmeat Sushi Maki Roll is a tasty and convenient roll to make, with the use of canned crab or lump crabmeat in a creamy crab salad mix (without mayo!). Add a drizzle of spicy sriracha sauce on top to make it a spicy crab roll.
Gravlax Salmon Sushi Roll Uramaki
- 1 Cup Sushi Rice
- 2 Nori Sheets
- 7 ounces Smoked Salmon
- ¼ Cup Cucumber, cut in strips
- ½ Cup Cream Cheese, cut in strips
- 4 sprigs Dill, fresh dill
- ¼ Cup Avocado, sliced, optional
- Spread rice on nori using technique shown or your preferred method.
- With sushi rice side facing DOWN, place vegetables and cream cheese on lower portion of nori sheet, as shown.
- Transfer the nori sheet with plastic onto a bamboo sushi rolling mat. Use the rolling mat to make a tight sushi roll.
- Remove the sushi roll from the bamboo and plastic.
- Add the smoked salmon gravlax to the outside of the sushi roll as shown. Cut the smoked salmon sushi roll in equal pieces, about a half inch. Serve with soy sauce, wasabi, pickled ginger and homemade spicy mayo.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.