A delightful gravlax salmon maki sushi roll made with a package of IKEA smoked salmon gravlax, in a fresh tasting and easy sushi roll.
This gravlax salmon maki sushi roll is super convenient to make with a package of gravlax smoked salmon.
It also offers a tasty combination of cream cheese, cucumber and avocado that is so satisfying in a sushi roll.
It’s easy to prepare and a great option for someone new to making homemade sushi as the steps are relatively simple.
Gravlax salmon maki sushi rolls are the perfect choice to add to your homemade sushi menus.
Content in this Post
- Ingredients In Gravlax Salmon Maki Sushi Roll
- How To Make Gravlax Salmon Maki Sushi Roll
- STEP 1: Spread Sushi Rice On Nori Sheet
- STEP 2: Place Smoked Salmon On Rice
- STEP 3: Add Toppings
- STEP 4: Roll it Up
- STEP 5: Cut in Pieces
- What To Serve With Gravlax Salmon Maki Sushi Roll
- More Homemade Sushi Rolls
- Storage Tips For Gravlax Salmon Maki Sushi Roll
- You’ll Also Love
Ingredients In Gravlax Salmon Maki Sushi Roll
- Sushi Rice — from failproof Instant Pot sushi rice recipe
- Nori Sheet — you can find these in Asian grocery stores and in many well stocked grocery stores.
- Gravlax Smoked Salmon — thawed package of smoked salmon gravlax, that you can purchase at IKEA Supermarket if you have one nearby, otherwise you can find smoked salmon in the seafood section at well stocked local grocery stores.
- Cucumber — sliced in long strips.
- Bell Pepper — sliced in strips.
- Cream Cheese — sliced in long strips.
- Avocado — optional, add sliced ripe avocado.
Optional Ingredient Variations — can add sliced avocado to this roll. Thin carrot slices are also nice.
How To Make Gravlax Salmon Maki Sushi Roll
STEP 1: Spread Sushi Rice On Nori Sheet
Use your preferred method to spread an even layer of sushi rice onto a nori sheet. We have provided a technique for doing so that we find useful, in the following diagram.
STEP 2: Place Smoked Salmon On Rice
After you have spread an even layer of sushi rice onto the nori, arrange the gravlax smoked salmon evenly on top of the rice.
STEP 3: Add Toppings
Next, you’ll add your vegetables (cucumber, bell pepper, avocado if using) and cream cheese.
STEP 4: Roll it Up
Transfer the nori sheet with toppings (with the plastic sheet) on top of a bamboo sushi rolling mat. Use the mat to tightly roll up the gravlax maki roll sushi.
STEP 5: Cut in Pieces
Remove the sushi roll from the bamboo mat and plastic sheet. Cut the sushi roll in equal pieces, about a half an inch wide.
What To Serve With Gravlax Salmon Maki Sushi Roll
Sushi maki rolls are typically served with soy sauce, wasabi, pickled ginger and homemade spicy mayo sauce. Try this super delicious spicy sriracha sushi dipping sauce without mayo.
Miso soup and seaweed salad (wakame) can also be served as appetizer and side dishes with sushi rolls.
For a more substantial Japanese inspired dinner, feel free to add chicken or beef teriyaki and Japanese potstickers (gyoza).
And of course, the more homemade sushi rolls, the merrier!
More Homemade Sushi Rolls
Once you get started, it’s easy to make more sushi rolls. You can make several at a time, especially if you prep some of the mixes ahead of time. The batch of failproof instant pot sushi rice makes enough for eight different sushi rolls.
For instance, canned crabmeat, canned tuna and canned salmon mixes can be prepared and kept covered in the fridge until ready to use. The creamy smoked salmon mix and shrimp mix can also be made ahead.
Then, all you need to do is add the mixes to the nori and rice, with the toppings and roll them up.
The three types of smoked salmon sushi don’t require any prep, just thaw the frozen smoked salmon package and you can use it immediately. Moreover, the flat packaging allows the salmon to thaw quickly. Gravlax sushi rolls are another perfect use for IKEA smoked salmon gravlax.
- Creamy Gravlax Salmon Sushi Uramaki Roll
- Canned Crabmeat Sushi Maki Roll
- Canned Salmon Sushi Roll Uramaki
- Shrimp Sushi Roll Uramaki
- Gravlax Salmon Sushi Roll Uramaki
- Spicy Canned Tuna Sushi Roll Uramaki
Storage Tips For Gravlax Salmon Maki Sushi Roll
You’ll Also Love
Shrimp Sushi Roll Uramaki are so tasty with delectable cold water shrimp that you can purchase at IKEA Supermarket, and caviar (or seaweed pearls) that you can also find at IKEA supermarket.
This sushi roll reminds us of Swedish Toast Skagen sushi, and is definitely Skagenröra inspired.
Gravlax Salmon Maki Sushi Roll
- 1 cup Sushi Rice
- 2 Nori Sheet
- 7 ounces Smoked Salmon
- ¼ cup Cucumber, cut into sicks
- ¼ cup Bell Pepper, cut into sicks
- ¼ cup Cream Cheese
- ¼ cup Avocado, sliced, optional
- Spread sushi rice on the nori sheet. We have outlined a method that involves flattening the rice using two sheets of plastic cut from a large Ziplock bag to help with the stickiness of rice issue. See diagram if you'd like to try our method, otherwise you can use your preferred method for distributing the sushi rice evenly on the nori.
- Evenly place the smoked salmon on the rice side of the sushi.
- Add the bell peppers, cucumber, cream cheese and avocado, if using.
- Using a bamboo sushi mat, roll up the sushi.
- Cut in equal pieces, about half an inch wide.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.