You’ll love this egg salad sandwich without mayo for its delicately spiced flavor and that it is simple and convenient to make. It’s also the best answer to the question of what to do with leftover hard boiled eggs.
Egg salad sandwich is so easy to make, and offers a quick protein and vitamin rich lunch or snack when you need something quick.
You can even spread it on multigrain or dark rye crispbread with some garnishes on top for a fast snack.
Reminiscent of deviled eggs, this is a rich and satisfying sandwich filling that is simple to make yet perfect for an elegant lunch.
Plus, it’s made with basic ingredients that you are likely to have on hand. You can’t go wrong with this flavorful, hearty sandwich mix. Remember to omit the hot sauce and perhaps onions and dill, if making for children. Unless your kids don’t mind those flavors!
Content in this Post
Ingredients in Egg Salad Sandwich Without Mayo
- Eggs — you will need hard boiled eggs for this recipe. We cook our eggs in the Instant Pot for 5 minutes on High, followed by 2 minutes of natural release, and then submerge the eggs in ice cold water for 5 minutes. Alternatively, you can boil eggs in water for 8 minutes in a pot on the stove.
- Labneh — Turkish labneh is excellent for it’s creamy texture and taste similar to cream cheese but lower in calories and fat.
- Sour Cream — use regular, not low fat or light.
- Dill — fresh dill, chopped into small pieces.
- Red Onions — diced fine, but you can try any onions you have on hand. Finely chopped chives are excellent in this mix as well.
- All Purpose Seasoning — we use our own All Purpose Spice Blend. Or if you don’t have a spice blend, you can put in about a quarter teaspoon each of paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Lemon Juice — freshly squeezed is preferred for the best flavor.
- Hot Sauce — we use Frank’s Red Hot.
What to Serve With Egg Salad Sandwich Without Mayo
Egg salad sandwich without mayo is perfect for a quick lunch at home or to pack up for work, school or a picnic.
Enjoy it as a sandwich with regular or low carb bread such as Carbonaut or in Lebanese style pita bread. You can reduce the carbs further by serving in large lettuce leaves like romaine or iceberg.
For special occasions, we love to include egg salad sandwich without mayo as one layer in our Swedish style seafood sandwich cake (smörgåstårta).
You can choose your favorite four sandwich fillings, perhaps egg salad and three more from the following:
- Shrimp salad sandwich
- Tuna salad sandwich
- Smoked salmon salad sandwich
- Canned Salmon salad sandwich
- Crab salad sandwich
- Lobster salad sandwich
This epic seafood sandwich cake requires a bit of planning but is simple in its concept.
You can whip up your four sandwich mixes the night before. Keep them covered in your fridge and take them out the next day when ready to assemble and garnish your smörgåstårta!
And if you really want to go all out – you have got to try this lobster sandwich cake. It’s perfect for your most special occasions, like New Year’s Eve, milestone birthdays and other important events.
It serves 8-10 depending on portion size and will impress your seafood loving guests.
And for everyday sandwiches, check out these must have Swedish groceries for everything smörgås!
Keep prepared egg salad sandwich filling covered in your refrigerator for up to three days. Try to consume it within one to two days for the freshest flavor.
You’ll Also Love
When you have hard cooked eggs and cold water shrimp, you can make this classic IKEA shrimp sandwich whenever you crave it! Easy to assemble, this open faced sandwich is a delight for any seafood lover.
Egg Salad Sandwich Without Mayo (Äggsallad)
EGG SALAD SANDWICH MIX
- 6 Eggs, hard boiled
- ¼ Cup Labneh
- ¼ Cup Sour Cream
- ¼ Cup Dill, fresh, chopped small
- ¼ Cup Red Onions, diced fine
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon Hot Sauce, Frank's Red Hot
- 1 teaspoon All Purpose Seasoning Blend
BREAD AND TOPPINGS
- 8 Slices Carbonaut Bread, sub Carbonaut Bread Multigrain, or bread of choice
- 1 Red Onion, sliced, optional
- Place peeled, hard cooked eggs into a medium bowl.
- Mash eggs with a fork.
- Add labneh and sour cream to the eggs.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients (dill, lemon juice, all purpose seasoning, red onions, hot sauce).
- Mix all ingredients well until thoroughly combined. Cover and store in fridge until ready to serve. Enjoy as a sandwich filling or as one layer of a sandwich cake.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.