This Easy Eggnog Recipe is ultra creamy and smooth, a totally satisfying and cozy winter beverage. If you’re looking for a drink that also functions as a snack during the long winter days, and is even lower in lactose than traditional recipes, then this is the one.
The combination of eggs, heavy cream, and almond milk not only makes this easy eggnog recipe extra filling, it also adds a smooth texture and a nutty flavor to it. The spiced rum gives it a kick and perfects the drink.
This eggnog is great anytime during the winter season, and is especially cozy around the holidays. It is the perfect beverage for a little hibernation time at home. Settle in for the evening with this spiced classic.
Is it Safe to Drink Eggnog?
Any traditional eggnog contains raw eggs and consuming them could pose a health risk under certain conditions. Please consult your health physician if you are in doubt.
Content in this Post
Ingredients Used in This Easy Eggnog Recipe
This easy eggnog recipe uses a mix of traditional ingredients with some healthy substitutes. For example, there is no refined sugar here. Instead, I use Iraqi style date syrup to sweeten the drink. Aside from being a healthy alternative to refined sugar, date syrup gives the eggnog a bit of a rustic flavor that is further enhanced by the nutmeg that is sprinkled on top.
Furthermore, I use heavy cream in combination with almond milk as the base for this recipe. So there is very little lactose in this creamy and savory eggnog. Almond milk is completely plant based and lactose free.
But not only that, almond milk also has a natural nutty flavor, further distinguishing this recipe. So if you want a healthier alternative to traditional eggnog, with a lower lactose content, keep reading to find out about the special process that I use to make this eggnog super creamy and smooth.
- Egg Yolk — separated into its own small size bowl.
- Egg White — separated into its own medium size bowl.
- Heavy Cream — use whipping cream for the best results and to keep this drink lower in lactose.
- Almond Milk — for a nutty flavor and to lower the lactose content.
- Date Syrup — Iraqi Style, found in well stocked grocery isles or your local Middle-Eastern store.
- Rum — use a dark, flavored rum such as Kraken for the full flavor experience.
- Vanilla Extract — pure natural vanilla extract is best — you can get this in large bottles at Costco for a lower cost.
Are There Health Benefits to Eggnog?
You may not think of eggnog as a healthy drink, but there are many health benefits to this particular version of the traditional winter beverage. In addition to containing egg, this easy eggnog recipe also contains heavy cream and almond milk.
How To Make Easy Eggnog Recipe With Dark Spiced Rum
This easy eggnog recipe takes use of the natural ability of egg whites and whipping cream to be whisked fluffy.
I start the process by separating the egg yolks from the egg whites in separate mixing bowls. If you have different size bowls, use the larger one for the egg yolks and the smaller one for the egg whites.
In a medium sized bowl, whip the egg whites into a foam.
In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks to a creamy, light colored mix. Add the date syrup, vanilla extract, and rum to the egg yolks and mix well. Then add in the whipping cream and almond milk and give it a good stir with the whisk to make sure the date syrup is completely dissolved.
Lastly, give the egg whites a final whisk to fluff them back up and then stir them into the rest of the ingredients.
Pour the eggnog into your favorite glass or mug and grate some nutmeg on top.
Enjoy this easy eggnog recipe with dark spiced rum responsibly!
STEP 1 — Prepare the Egg Yolks and Egg Whites (Separately)
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites into individual mixing bowls.
- Whisk the egg whites into foam.
- Beat the egg yolks into a creamy mix.
STEP 2 — Mix the Ingredients
- Pour the date syrup, vanilla extract, and rum into the egg yolks.
- Add the heavy cream and almond milk. Stir well until the date syrup is completely dissolved.
- Whisk the egg whites back to a foam and pour into the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir well and immediately pour into a glass or mug.
- Optionally, grate a bit of nutmeg on top.
Kitchen Tools You Need to Make This Easy Eggnog Recipe
- Mixing Bowls — two medium sized to prepare the egg whites and egg yolks separately.
- Whisk — I use a European style sauce whisk to fluff the egg whites and whipping cream.
More Cozy Recipes To Try
Some of our favorites that make us especially look forward to fall and winter each year:
Easy Eggnog Recipe With Dark Spiced Rum
- 3 Eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 2 tablespoon Date Syrup, Iraqi style
- ½ Cup Whipping Cream
- ½ Cup Almond Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract, pure
- ¼ Cup Rum , dark spiced rum such as Kraken Rum
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites into two medium mixing bowls.
- Whisk the egg whites to a fluffy foam and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks into a creamy light colored mix.
- To the bowl that contains the egg yolks: Add the date syrup, vanilla extract, and rum.
- To the bowl that contains the egg yolk and date syrup mixture: Pour in the whipping cream and almond milk. Stir well until all of the date syrup is dissolved.
- Whisk the egg whites back to a foam and pour them into the bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir well and pour eggnog into two glasses or mugs. Optionally, grate some nutmeg on top.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.