This quick and easy crab mix sandwich without mayo is the perfect choice for an elegant lunch that is sure to please every seafood lover.
This is a sandwich that is perfect for a last minute meal that you need to be quick to make but also impressive.
A friend stops by unexpectedly for instance, or you just want to make a lovely lunch for someone.
Crab is an ingredient that turns a simple dish into an extraordinary dish. And a shelf stable can of crab is all you need to elevate a simple sandwich into a memorable one.
It’s so easy to stock a can or two for those times when you are at a moments notice but want something extra special.
If you have lump crab meat from your grocery store, not from a can, that’s even better. But don’t use imitation crab here. The flavor and texture won’t be the same.
As long as you use the basic ingredients (crab, labneh, sour cream, spice blend, and lemon) you have the basis for a really quick and delicious sandwich.
It’s up to you if you’d like to take make it more savory with hot sauce and flakes, green onions, garlic and the optional sandwich toppings (bell peppers, arugula, red onion). If you have the time and ingredients, go for it, otherwise make it easier for yourself.
Content in this Post
Ingredients in Crab Mix Sandwich Without Mayo (Krabbröra)
- Bread — use low carb and gluten free Carbonaut Bread or your favorite bread. You could even try it with lettuce wraps.
- Crab Meat — We use a 170g (120g drained) can of crab meat. You can also use lump crab meat. Don’t use imitation crab though, it won’t be the same in flavor or texture.
- Labneh — Turkish labneh is a thick yogurt similar in flavor and texture to cream cheese, we prefer it to cream cheese for a smooth and creamy crab mix.
- Sour Cream — we use full fat sour cream, not light or low fat.
- Hot Sauce — we use Frank’s red hot for a little kick.
- Garlic — a clove or two, optional, depending on your preference for garlic.
- Lemon Juice — freshly squeezed lemon juice is best.
- All Purpose Seasoning — If you don’t have any, sub a quarter teaspoon each of salt, pepper and paprika.
- Green Onions — optional, but recommended if you like them.
- Hot Pepper Flakes –optional, but will make the sandwich quite spicy.
- Red Onion — finely sliced, to add to your sandwich, optional.
- Red Bell Pepper — finely sliced to add to your sandwich, optional.
- Arugula — optional, to add to the sandwich if you like. You can use other types of greens if you prefer, or omit.
How To Make Crab Mix Sandwich Without Mayo
This crab mix sandwich is very easy to make. Really, you can enjoy this in just a few minutes. All you need to do is empty the contents of a well drained can of crab meat (or use lump crab) as well as a few ingredients. Add in some spicy ingredients or keep it mild, whatever you like!
Mix well to thoroughly combine and add to your bread of choice for a super satisfying, and creamy sandwich mix reminiscent of crab dip.
What to Serve With Crab Mix Sandwich Without Mayo
Crab mix sandwich without mayo is perfect for a light lunch. You can also serve soup or a salad alongside this dish.
A seafood or clam chowder would pair nicely with this sandwich. As well, a garden house style salad is a simple side that you can’t go wrong with.
Preparation and Storage Tips
If you’d like to save some time at lunch, you can prepare this mix the night before it’s needed. That way, it will be even simpler to make!
You can keep the mix in the refrigerator for up to three days, however, it is best consumed within a day or two, for the freshest flavor.
More Sandwiches Without Mayo
When you sub labneh for mayo, you can feel good about eating these sandwiches whenever the craving hits. The creamy and thick yogurt that is more like cream cheese than mayo, really hits the spot in the following:
- Salmon Salad (Laxsallad)
- Tuna Salad (Tonfiskröra)
- Shrimp Salad (Räkröra)
- Smoked Salmon Salad (Laxröra)
- Chicken Salad (Kycklingröra)
- Lobster Salad (Hummersallad)
- Egg Salad Sandwich (Äggsallad)
- IKEA Shrimp Sandwich (Räksmörgås)
And when you are in a celebratory mood, you can make these festive sandwich cakes (smörgåstårtår) using several sandwich fillings:
- Seafood Sandwich Cake (Smörgåstårta) — you’ll need three or four sandwich fillings — choose this crab mix recipe and three other seafood mixes (tuna, salmon, smoked salmon, shrimp, lobster -an egg mix would also work)
- Lobster Sandwich Cake (Lyxig Skaldjurs Smörgåstårta) — crab salad sandwich is used in one layer (along with layers of egg salad, shrimp salad and lobster salad) of this stunning lobster sandwich cake that is the ultimate treat for seafood lovers.
- Sandwich Cake (Smörgåstårta) — this classic sandwich cake has liver pate and relish, and deli style meats, with a top garnish of grapes and cherry tomatoes.
- Chicken and Bacon Sandwich Cake — a hearty game day inspired spin on a sandwich cake, using chicken salad, chicken wing meat, spiced bacon strips and a creamy dressing.
These are perfect for any special occasion or brunch! We always use low carb and gluten free Carbonaut bread but you can use your favorite type of bread.
You’ll Also Love
This crab melt pita pizza is perfect to hit the spot during a casual weeknight dinner. It has all of the flavors from this crab mix sandwich, but warmed and reminiscent of your favorite crab dip. You can keep it mild or add some spicy ingredients, it’s up to you!
Crab Mix Sandwich Without Mayo (Krabbröra)
Crab Salad Sandwich Mix (Krabbröra)
- 6 ounces Crab Meat, canned, drained well
- ¼ Cup Labneh
- ⅛ Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- ¾ teaspoon All Purpose Seasoning, sub ¼ tsp each of paprika, salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon Hot Sauce, Frank's
- 1 tablespoon Green Onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
Bread and Optional Toppings
- 4 Slices Carbonaut Bread, low carb, gluten free bread, or use bread of choice
- ¼ Cup Red Bell Pepper, sliced
- ¼ Cup Red Onions, sliced
- Place contents of the can of drained crab meat into a medium sized bowl.
- Follow wih the remaining crab mix ingredients (labneh, sour cream, minced garlic, all purpose seasoning, hot sauce, green onions and lemon juice).
- Mix well to thoroughly combine. Cover and store in fridge until ready to serve.
- Enjoy as a sandwich filling in your favorite bread or as one layer of a seafood sandwich cake (smorgastarta).
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.