This clam white sauce pita pizza is classic comfort wrapped up in a simple meal that you can make anytime. Festive, clam dip flavors without the heavy mayo, this one’s a keeper!
This clam melt pizza is so good. It has all of the flavors from your favorite clam dip, but is conveniently made into a quick and easy pizza.
Who doesn’t love a good clam dip? But you usually need to go easy on that because of the heavy ingredients like mayo.
But in this case, we replace mayo and heavier, alfredo sauce style of white sauces with labneh and sour cream.
Since labneh is such a rich yogurt, similar in flavor and texture to cream cheese, it provides a healthy base for your white sauce pizzas.
Plus, it is so creamy, you will love it in everything, from pizzas, to sandwiches, appetizers, dips and more. We incorporate labneh into most of our recipes to replace mayo.
And, when you taste this, you won’t miss those heavier ingredients at all.
Content in this Post
Ingredients in Clam White Sauce Pita Pizza
- Pita Bread — Lebanese style pita bread is perfect for a thin crust pizza.
- Clams — a can of baby clams, rinsed and drained.
- Cheese — shredded cheese, mozzarella or cheddar are good choices.
- Labneh — a thick and creamy yogurt, similar in flavor and texture to cream cheese, it is a delightful replacement for mayo.
- Sour Cream — adds additional creaminess to the white sauce clam mix.
- Red Onion — sliced fine, used as an optional topping on the pita pizzas.
- Chives — use in the clam mix and sprinkle on top of the pizzas after cooking.
- Lemon Juice — freshly squeezed lemon juice for the best flavor.
- Hot Sauce — we love Frank’s red hot, for a little kick.
- Spice Blend — all purpose spice blend, with paprika, onion and garlic powders, salt and pepper. Sub a quarter teaspoon of each if you don’t have an all purpose blend.
How To Make Clam White Sauce Pita Pizza
Clam white sauce pita pizza is an easy recipe. Drain and rinse your can of clams, then add to a medium bowl with the remaining ingredients.
Mix well to thoroughly combine and spread the mix onto pita bread. Then, add your optional toppings, like sliced red onion, pepper flakes and chives.
If you’re a fan of garlic, grate a clove of garlic over top of the white sauce on the pizzas before baking.
If you like to add to the richness of the dish, you can drizzle some cold pressed extra virgin olive oil over top, after baking. Or, you can skip it, since this pizza is already so rich, it’s up to you!
We tend to add a little olive oil as it’s kind of become a habit now, but is certainly not necessary.
What To Serve With Clam White Sauce Pizza
Clam white sauce pita pizza is hearty on it’s own, and pairs well with any salad.
We enjoy ours with Swedish style pizza salad, a finely shredded cabbage salad similar to coleslaw but with a light and refreshing dressing. You can also pair it with cucumber asparagus salad or an Italian house style salad.
Pita pizzas are great on the menu with spinach artichoke dip and a side dish of marinated olives.
Two pita pizzas are the perfect size to serve as an appetizer for four people, if you prefer these as a starter.
Preparation and Storage Tips
If you are planning ahead, it’s always wise to make the clam sauce filling before you need it. Keep it covered in the fridge until you need it.
You can easily prepare it the night before to make for lunch the next day.
Likewise, if you have time in the morning, you can prepare the clam mix for lunch or dinner.
Keep these pizza leftovers in the fridge for a day or two, but no longer than that, for optimal flavor and freshness.
More Pita Pizza Recipes
If you often find yourself struggling to get wholesome, quick meals on the table, these pita pizzas are the answer!
Easily customizable for the whole family, they are made with nutritious ingredients and come together like a charm.
They are so good that you’ll want to skip the pizzeria and grocery store bought pizzas.
Just remember to stock some shelf stable cans (baby clams, artichokes, mackerel, sardines, etc.) and keep the main ingredients (Lebanese style pita bread, pizza sauce, shredded cheese, etc.) on hand.
That way, you will always have options at home and that is a great feeling!
Try some of our favorite pita pizzas:
- Margherita Pita Pizza
- Mozzarella Artichoke Pita Pizza
- Date Arugula Pita Pizza
- Sardine In Tomato Sauce Pita Pizza
- Red Lobster Style Crab and Lobster Pita Pizza
- Kebab Pita Pizza
- Chicken Kebab Pita Pizza
- Mackerel in Tomato Sauce Pita Pizza
- Tuna Melt Pita Pizza
- Crab Melt Pita Pizza
You’ll love these on your regular rotation!
You’ll Also Love
Clam Red Sauce Pita Pizza is another easy and flavorful recipe that you can make with a can of baby clams. It’s a fabulous base for a savory pizza you can put together quickly anytime!
You can substitute goat cheese for shredded mozzarella, cheddar and other types of cheese if you prefer.
You can omit the kale if you don’t have any as the pizza will still be really good! Or, try it with parsley or spinach if you have some on hand.
Clam pita pizza with red sauce is a super savory and satisfying last minute meal idea that you’ll want to make often.
Clam White Sauce Pita Pizza
- 2 Pita Bread, Lebanese style
- 5 ounces Baby Clams, rinsed and drained
- ¼ Cup Labneh
- ¼ Cup Sour Cream
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 clove Garlic, optional, minced
- 1 teaspoon Hot Sauce, Frank's
- ½ teaspoon All Purpose Seasoning, sub ⅛ teaspoon each of salt, pepper and paprika
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place contents of well drained can of baby clams in a medium bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Place two pita breads on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Spread the clam white sauce mix evenly over both pitas.
- Add finely sliced red onions.
- Divide the shredded cheese evenly over top of both pitas.
- Sprinkle on chives and hot pepper flakes if you like them!
- Bake for 6 minutes in the preheated oven until cheese is bubbly.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.