This clam salad sandwich without mayo is a delightfully creamy and savory sandwich that fills you up without being too heavy. If you’re a fan of clam chowder, and appreciate the chewy texture of clams, you’ll want to give this a try.
Serve the clam salad sandwich filling cold or warm, both ways are excellent. Although, when we serve it with warm filling, we usually opt for thinly sliced tomatoes or bell peppers as toppings rather than lettuce.
But you can choose your favorite sandwich toppings to go with, or just make it with filling and bread. Cheese is also nice to have in this sandwich. Especially when warmed, it has a flavor similar to clam dip, but without being heavy.
Choose a hearty bread like rye so that it can stand up to the clam salad filling. Other types might not be as suitable, if they are not dense enough.
You can have it with a low carb, gluten free Carbonaut bread as well, if you are mindful of carbs.
Content in this Post
Ingredients in Clam Salad Sandwich Without Mayo
- Bread — Use a hearty, dense bread like rye or a low carb, gluten free Carbonaut bread if you wish.
- Clams — a can of baby clams, rinsed and drained well.
- Labneh — a thick Turkish yogurt that has a satisfying cream cheese like flavor and texture, you’ll love to incorporate into recipes instead of mayo.
- Sour Cream — adds additional creaminess to the recipe but can be reduced or omitted.
- Chives — fresh chives, snipped into small pieces using kitchen scissors.
- Lemon Juice — freshly squeezed is best.
- Hot Sauce — add some Frank’s Red Hot for a little kick.
- Garlic — you can use a fresh clove or a little garlic powder (quarter teaspoon or so) if you’d rather.
- Seasoning Blend — all purpose seasoning blend (sub a quarter teaspoon each of smoked paprika, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder if you don’t have all purpose seasoning)
How To Make Clam Salad Sandwich Without Mayo
This is a simple recipe to prepare for a quick lunch or dinner. The first step is to rinse and drain the contents of a can of baby clams. Make sure the clams are well drained and add to a medium bowl.
Put the remaining ingredients into the bowl with the baby clams and mix well. Once you have this creamy clam salad sandwich filling, you can decide to serve it warm or cold.
If you’d like it warm you can heat it in the microwave, or on the stove top. Give it a good stir and ensure it is sufficiently cooled (warm, not hot) before you add it to the sandwich.
Select your bread (one slice for open faced style or two slices to make a regular sandwich) and place on a plate.
Choose your sandwich toppings, if any, like cheese and thinly sliced vegetables such as bell peppers, tomatoes or lettuce (best when filling is served cold or room temperature).
Add these to the bread and then top with the clam salad sandwich filling. Or you can place toppings over top of the sandwich filling if you’d rather. Enjoy!
Preparation and Storage Tips
You can make the clam salad sandwich filling ahead and store it in the fridge the night before or day of. We don’t recommend keeping it there for a long time. It’s best to try to consume within two days for the freshest flavor.
More Sandwiches Without Mayo
Once you begin to use labneh in dishes instead of mayo, you will want to try it in everything. Now, we never miss the mayo! These sandwiches are all big on flavor:
- Salmon Salad Sandwich — made with canned or leftover baked salmon, fresh lemon and dill.
- Tuna Salad Sandwich — use a can of tuna in this easy classic.
- Smoked Salmon Salad Sandwich — smoked salmon packs kept in your freezer will thaw out quick for this elegant sandwich you can prepare at the last minute.
- Egg Salad Sandwich — leftover hard cooked eggs are put to great use in this savory sandwich.
- Crab Salad Sandwich — you can use canned crab or lump crabmeat in this sandwich.
- Lobster Salad Sandwich — creamy and delicately spiced lobster meat in an open faced sandwich or roll.
- Chicken Salad Sandwich — leftover baked chicken breasts are perfect to use in this creamy classic sandwich.
- Shrimp Salad Sandwich — you’ll love delectable cold water shrimp with lemon and dill in this creamy open faced sandwich.
- IKEA Shrimp Sandwich — a mountain of tantalizing cold water shrimp on top of sliced egg and lettuce will give you the energy you need to conquer all of your furniture assembly projects!
If you’re feeling festive, you can make up several of the fillings that go together in layers to create Swedish style sandwich cakes (smörgåstårta)! Try these variations:
Traditional Swedish Sandwich Cake (smörgåstårta) — layers of deli style ham and roast beef, with savory frosting and savory liver pate with relish make up this classic.
Seafood Sandwich Cake (Lax och Rak smörgåstårta) — choose your favorite four seafood sandwich fillings to stack up in an epic savory cake for your special occasions.
Lobster Sandwich Cake (lyxig skaldjurs smörgåstårta) — for your most special occasions, take seafood sandwich cake up a notch with the addition of lobster and crab legs!
Clam salad sandwich without mayo can also be heated up and served as a layer in a warm smorgastarta.
You’ll Also Love
Clam white sauce pita pizza is another super easy and satisfying meal option that you can quickly make with a can of baby clams. You’ll love this quick, hearty and tasty pizza for lunch or dinner!
Reminiscent of your favorite clam dip, this clam melt style pita pizza is a keeper! We also love this clam and kale pita pizza with a savory red sauce and goat cheese (or your favorite shredded cheese)! Make a batch of Swedish style pizza salad to go with these easy pita pizzas.
Clam Salad Sandwich Without Mayo
Clam Salad Sandwich Filling
- 1 Can Baby Clams
- ¼ Cup Labneh
- ⅛ Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Clove Garlic, optional, minced, or ⅛ to ¼ tsp garlic powder to taste
- 1 teaspoon All Purpose Seasoning, sub ¼ tsp each of paprika, salt, pepper, onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Hot Sauce , Frank's
- 1 tablespoon Chives, fresh, snipped into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
Bread and Optional Toppings
- 4 Slices Carbonaut Bread, low carb and gluten free bread or bread of choice
- ¼ Cup Red Onions, sliced
- 4 Slices Lettuce, iceberg or romaine
- Place rinsed and drained contents of a can of baby clams into a medium bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Mix well to thoroughly combine.
- Serve as filling for a regular or low carb bread sandwich, or in regular wraps or lettuce wraps.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.