Just as perfect for entertaining as it is for easy weeknight dinners, chicken souvlaki kebab in oven is a delightfully savory recipe that you’ll love to add to your weekly rotation.
A versatile dish, you can serve it with any side dish. Great for lunch in a pita wrap or salad, as well as for dinners with or without the addition of Greek gyros.
Chicken souvlaki kebabs are so easy to make and they are great to pack up in a lunch box or take with you for a pleasing, restaurant style homemade lunch.
Made with common ingredients, it’s easy to put together, and you might already have most of the ingredients on hand.
Content in this Post
- Chicken Souvlaki Kebab Ingredients
- How To Make Chicken Souvlaki Kebab In Oven
- STEP 1: Marinate The Chicken
- STEP 2: Make The Chicken Souvlaki Kebabs
- What To Serve With Chicken Souvlaki Kebab In Oven
- Best Uses For Leftover Chicken Souvlaki
- How To Store Chicken Souvlaki Kebab
- More Easy Meat Dishes
- You’ll Also Love
Chicken Souvlaki Kebab Ingredients
- Chicken — raw boneless and skinless thighs or breasts, although thighs produce a juicier souvlaki kebab. Cut each chicken piece into small cubes.
- Olive Oil — cold pressed extra virgin olive oil is preferred.
- Lemon Juice — freshly squeezed lemon juice for the freshest flavor.
- Garlic — cloves, peeled and minced. You can finely chop or put them through a garlic press.
- Greek Seasoning — homemade or store bought for convenience.
- Thyme — fresh thyme, chopped, is optional but is a really nice touch!
- Salt — Himalayan pink salt, ground, enhances all of the flavors.
How To Make Chicken Souvlaki Kebab In Oven
Chicken souvlaki kebab in oven is super easy to make. Just follow these easy steps!
STEP 1: Marinate The Chicken
We use metal skewers, but if you are using wooden skewers, you will need to soak them in water for fifteen minutes or so ahead of using them. Place the wooden skewers in a shallow dish that is long enough to hold them, filled with enough water to cover and set aside.
Next, you’ll need to make a simple Greek chicken marinade. Mix the souvlaki marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Then add in your cubed chicken thighs or breasts.
Allow the chicken to marinate for at least fifteen minutes but preferably (covered in your refrigerator) for an hour or longer.
If you can, you can prep this ahead the night before you need them, or early morning of the same day you will make these.
When your wooden skewers have soaked and your chicken has been in the marinade for a sufficient time, you are ready to make the skewers. If you are using metal skewers, you only need to wait for the chicken to marinate.
STEP 2: Make The Chicken Souvlaki Kebabs
Once that’s complete, thread the marinated chicken onto each skewer, one by one and set them across an oven safe bread pan as shown below.
When you are finished making all of the chicken souvlaki kebabs, place the bread pan with the souvlaki kebabs on it, carefully into the preheated oven.
This method allows the chicken souvlaki to cook well on each side without burning. The chicken souvlaki turns out very tender and flavorful this way.
You will need to turn the skewers halfway through cooking, it is easy enough to do this with oven mitts on, of course.
Another benefit of this cooking method, is the omission of grill marks on the chicken. Although the grill marks look nice, charred meat isn’t the healthiest thing, and we usually prefer to skip it in meat recipes.
It is very important to check the chicken with a food thermometer to ensure that the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
Use a digital thermometer placed into the thickest part of the chicken pieces to verify. If the temperature is lower, return to oven for a few minutes longer.
Remove from oven and check again with a food thermometer. Repeat this process until the chicken has reached a safe to consume temperature.
What To Serve With Chicken Souvlaki Kebab In Oven
Chicken Souvlaki Kebab in Oven is excellent by itself or as part of a larger Greek inspired menu. Some go-to dishes that we love to make with chicken souvlaki are:
- Instant Pot Gyros
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Horiatiki Salad
- Greek Orzo Salad With Feta — made with Instant Pot orzo pasta recipe
- Gyros Pita Pizza With Feta
- Chicken Souvlaki Pita Pizza
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Asparagus Cucumber Tomato Salad
Best Uses For Leftover Chicken Souvlaki
Chicken souvlaki is so versatile and if you are lucky enough to have some leftovers, there are endless ways to enjoy them. Just make sure to have enough Tzatziki sauce and Greek Salad to go with these!
- Chicken Souvlaki Pita Pizza
- Chicken Souvlaki Quesadilla
- Chicken Souvlaki Pita Wrap
- Chicken Souvlaki Salad With Feta and Tzatziki (shown below)
- Chicken Souvlaki Plate With Fries
How To Store Chicken Souvlaki Kebab
Cooked chicken souvlaki kebab can be kept in the fridge, covered in an air tight container for up to three days.
You can freeze cooked chicken souvlaki or uncooked chicken cubes (in the marinade preferably!) in well sealed freezer safe Ziplock bags with the air pressed out of the bag.
Having a batch of raw chicken souvlaki already in the marinade will save you time the next time you make these.
That way, the thawing process and marinating goes hand in hand (soak wooden skewers meanwhile).
Super easy, then just jump right to STEP 2 and thread the chicken kebabs.
More Easy Meat Dishes
- Instant Pot IKEA Swedish Meatballs
- Instant Pot Kebab Chicken Breast
- Instant Pot Doner Kebab
- Instant Pot Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken)
You’ll Also Love
You’ll love to have a batch of Instant Pot Lamb Gyros to go along with chicken souvlaki and tzatziki!
Chicken Souvlaki Kebab In Oven
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil, cold pressed extra virgin
- ¼ Cup Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon Salt, Himalayan pink salt, ground
- 1 teaspoon Thyme, fresh, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Greek Seasoning, homemade or store bought
- 4 cloves Garlic, peeled and minced
- 1.5 pounds Chicken Thighs, raw, boneless, skinless, can sub breasts
Make the Greek Souvlaki Marinade
- Pour all of the ingredients (except chicken) into a large bowl.
- Combine well.
- Cut the chicken thighs into cubes and submerge them in the souvlaki marinade. You can leave it in the bowl or transfer to a Ziplock bag and ensure the chicken is well saturated in the sauce. Allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes, or longer (ideally at least an hour to overnight, covered and in the fridge). If you keep the chicken in the bowl to marinate, make sure to cover the bowl with a lid or cling wrap.
Make the Chicken Souvlaki Kebabs
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Soak the skewers if using wooden skewers. Omit this step if using metal skewers.
- Remove chicken cubes from the marinade and thread them onto the skewers. Place finished skewers across an oven safe bread pan. When all of the kebabs are done, place the bread pan with the kebabs carefully into the preheated oven. Cook for 25 minutes or longer, until the chicken is cooked to the proper temperature of 165°F.
- **Verify internal temperature of the chicken reaches at least 165°F with a food thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.