This savory chicken sandwich cake (kyckling smörgåstårta) is the ultimate game day sandwich with all of your favorite flavors – buffalo chicken wings, spiced crispy maple bacon and a creamy dressing to satisfy all appetites.
Inspired by Swedish style smörgåstårta sandwich cakes, this is an interesting variation you’ll love to try.
We love the classic deli style smörgåstårta sandwich cake, and seafood smörgåstårta so much and make them regularly.
That led us to incorporate the same concept into a chicken smörgåstårta that we can enjoy regularly and include in menus for other occasions, like Super Bowl game day.
It’s great to have another go to sandwich cake for those times you want chicken and bacon!
We have taken sweet and savory bacon, and meat from spiced chicken wings and have stacked them into an epic sandwich that will satisfy your cravings.
The garnishes are inspired by the usual accompaniments to spicy chicken wings – blue cheese, carrots and celery.
This chicken sandwich cake is rich, but is actually made with low carb, gluten free Carbonaut bread.
Content in this Post
Chicken Sandwich Cake (Kyckling Smörgåstårta) Ingredients
- Bread — you can use your bread of choice, we have made our chicken sandwich cake with that is low carb and gluten free.
- Labneh — a thick yogurt cheese with flavor and texture similar to cream cheese.
- Sour Cream — use full fat, not light or fat free.
- Mustard — we love honey mustard in this sandwich cake.
- Hot Sauce — Frank’s red hot sauce is a great choice. If you would like to keep it mild for kids, you can omit or reduce the amount.
- Chicken Breasts — oven roasted, or use rotisserie chicken for convenience.
- Bacon — oven roasted maple glazed bacon recipe, with some optional bacon rings roasted in oven safe muffin cups as “roses” for garnish.
- Maple Syrup — use 100% pure maple syrup for this for the best flavor.
- Chicken Wings — cooked, we use an air fryer. You will need to remove the meat from the chicken wings to use in one layer of the smorgastarta. Alternatively, you can use sliced chicken from a rotisserie chicken, this can make the job easier for you. Use caution to ensure there are no bones in this chicken layer of the cake.
- Grapes — keep them whole or cut in halves, to garnish the top of the cake.
- Green Onions — diced finely, use in the chicken salad sandwich mix, as well as on top of cake as an optional garnish.
- Celery — Use a vegetable peeler to finely slice celery to garnish the smörgåstårta. If you like to, you can use the remainder of celery to cut up some celery sticks to serve with ranch dressing as a side dish.
- Carrots — Use a vegetable peeler to finely slice carrot to garnish the smörgåstårta. If you like to, you can use additional carrots to cut up some carrot sticks to serve with ranch dressing as a side dish.
- Blue Cheese — some of it can be crumbled and added to a cake layer, and you can also use a melon baller to scoop blue cheese balls to garnish the sandwich cake. Omit if you don’t like it.
- Havarti Cheese — sliced, to garnish the sides of the sandwich cake.
- Chives — you can leave longer or chop them small and sprinkle on top of the sandwich cake to garnish.
- Lettuce — shredded iceberg lettuce can be added to a meat layer and used as garnish for the top of the sandwich cake.
- Garlic Powder — adds some extra flavor to the savory frosting.
- Onion Powder — extra flavor to the savory frosting.
How To Make Chicken Smörgåstårta Sandwich Cake
STEP 1: Gather your fillings for each layer of the cake.
These are cooked maple glazed bacon (strips and some extra bacon strips cooked curled in a muffin tin for optional garnish), cooked chicken in chicken salad sandwich mix and cooked chicken in another chicken layer with optional blue cheese.
Since the cake requires cooked bacon, cooked chicken breasts and chicken wings (or rotisserie chicken) meat, these will need to be cooked. *We found it easier to cook the meats ahead of time, the night before and then assemble the cake in the morning. See Preparation Tips below for more tips on cooking the meats ahead of time.
Bonus time savings if you use a store bought rotisserie chicken. The savory frosting will also need to be prepared before you can begin to assemble the sandwich cake.
STEP 2: Assemble your sandwich cake (chicken and bacon smorgastarta)
It’s actually easy to do when you have everything ready to go from step 1.
Begin by cutting the crusts off the bread. Place six slices of bread on a serving tray to form the base of the sandwich cake.
Spread on the chicken salad sandwich mix evenly over the bread layer.
Cover with six more pieces of bread. Spread savory frosting on top of the bread layer. Next add the crumbled spiced maple bacon strips or regular oven roasted bacon strips evenly over top of the savory frosting.
Place six more pieces of bread over the bacon and spread a layer of savory frosting over the bread.
Then you can cover the savory frosting evenly with chicken meat. Here you can use meat removed from air fryer chicken wings (careful, no bones!) or make it easier with rotisserie chicken meat. If you like blue cheese, you can crumble some over top of the chicken here.
Top this chicken layer with the last six pieces of bread that will become the top of the sandwich cake.
Step 3: Garnish your Chicken and Bacon Sandwich Cake Smorgastarta
Spread savory frosting over the top layer of bread. Place Havarti cheese around the outside of the sandwich cake.
Sprinkle shredded lettuce evenly over the entire top. Add on the bacon roses, if using.
Adhere the thin carrot and celery slices to the sides of the cake, using a little butter to help hold them in place, if necessary.
Arrange the sliced grapes, snipped chives and celery leaves on top.
We found it extremely helpful to cook the chicken breasts, chicken wings and maple glazed bacon the night before we made this.
Having all of the meat for the chicken smörgåstårta made in advance made the sandwich cake assembly a breeze. Had we not done that, it would have felt more complicated to make.
Here’s what we did.
We roasted the bacon in the oven on baking sheets. And at the mid point of cooking (where we usually flip the bacon over and cook for the remaining time) we transferred half of the bacon strips into oven safe muffin cups to bake into crispy roses for the garnish.
Meanwhile, we set the air fryer to air fry the chicken wings. *To make this easier, you can use store bought rotisserie chicken, cut in strips, instead of chicken wings. The flavor and texture will be different but the sandwich cake will still be good!
We roasted the chicken breasts in the oven with a buffalo style marinade (Frank’s Red Hot, Butter, and all purpose seasoning).
At the end of this cooking session, we put all of the cooked meats (chicken breasts, bacon strips, bacon roses, and chicken wings) into separate containers in the fridge.
You’ll need to remove the meat from the chicken wings (ensure there are no bones) at some point, the night before or wait until you make the sandwich cake – it’s totally up to you.
You can also make the savory frosting and the chicken salad mix ahead as well. We didn’t because we feel it’s quick enough to do on the same day as we assemble the cake.
But you can definitely whip those up and store in refrigerator so they’re ready to go!
We found it so convenient to cook the oven roasted chicken breasts, bacon and chicken wings all at once as meal prep – even when not making a sandwich cake.
Assemble your sandwich cake directly onto a flat serving tray that is just slightly larger than the base of the cake. This will allow you to transfer to the fridge easily, without taking a lot of space.
You can prepare and store the cooked chicken and bacon ahead of time. We cooked ours the night before. Assemble the chicken sandwich cake the next day.
You can store the leftovers in your fridge for about three days.
More Swedish Sandwich Recipes
We love these favorite sandwiches without mayo.
When you sub labneh for mayo, you can feel good about making these sandwich mixes whenever the craving hits. Labneh, a thick and creamy yogurt that is more like cream cheese than mayo, really satisfies in the following:
- Salmon Salad (Laxsallad)
- Tuna Salad (Tonfiskröra)
- Shrimp Salad (Rakröra)
- Smoked Salmon Salad (Laxröra)
- Chicken Salad (Kycklingröra)
- Crab Mix Sandwich (Krabbröra)
- Egg Salad Sandwich (Äggsallad)
- IKEA Shrimp Sandwich (Räksmörgås)
More Swedish Sandwich Cake Smörgåstårta Recipes
And when you are feeling festive, you can make these savory sandwich cakes (smörgåstårtår) using several sandwich fillings:
- Seafood Sandwich Cake (Smörgåstårta) — you’ll need three or four seafood mixes from the above list (tuna, salmon, smoked salmon, shrimp -an egg mix would also work)
- Lobster Sandwich Cake (Lyxig Skaldjurs Smörgåstårta) — with lobster tails and crab legs, this is an over the top sandwich cake for your most special occasions.
- Traditional Deli Style Meat Sandwich cake — pictured below
Read more about must have sandwich ingredients in this post about Swedish groceries for everything smörgås!
You’ll Also Love
Try this sandwich cake smörgåstårta with layers of deli style meat and liver paté.
This sandwich cake is easy to make and full of flavor, perfect for your next special occasion.
Chicken Sandwich Cake (Kyckling Smörgåstårta)
Bread and Meat Layers
- 24 slices Carbonaut Bread, low carb, gluten free, crusts removed
- 1.5 Cups Labneh
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- 1 tablespoon Honey Mustard
- 4 teaspoons Hot Sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder, optional
- ¼ teaspoon Onion Powder, optional
Layer 1: Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 2 Chicken Breasts, cooked and diced
- ¾ Cup Labneh
- ¼ Cup Sour Cream
- 1 tablespoon Green Onions, sliced, can sub chives
- 1 tablespoon Celery, diced
- ½ tablespoon Honey Mustard
- 2 teaspoons Hot Sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Salt, Himalayan pink
Layer 2: Spiced Oven Roasted Maple Bacon
- 12 strips Bacon, cooked
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup, 100% Pure
- 1 teaspoon Hot Sauce, Frank's Red Hot
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
Layer 3: Chicken Wings
- 12 Chicken Wings, cooked, meat separated from bones, Careful to ensure there are no bones in the cake
- 1 tablespoon Hot Sauce , optional, Frank's
Top Layer: Optional Chicken Sandwich Cake Garnishes
- 10 slices Havarti Cheese, slices
- 12 pieces Bacon , reserved roses, baked in muffin cups
- 2 Carrots, thin sliced, with peeler
- 2 Celery, thin sliced, with peeler
- 1 tablespoon Chives, snipped small pieces
- 20 Grapes, whole or in halves
- ½ Cup Blue Cheese, balls, use melon baller
- 1 Cup Lettuce, iceberg, shredded
Make the Savory Frosting
- Place savory frosting ingredients into a medium bowl.
- Combine well.
Assemble the Chicken Sandwich Cake
- Place six slices, first layer of Bread onto the serving platter to form the base of the sandwich cake.
- Spread on the chicken salad sandwich mix evenly over the first layer of bread.
- Add six more slices of bread.
- Spread on a layer of savory frosting, be sure to evenly distribute.
- Sprinkle on the chopped maple glazed bacon over top of the savory frosting in an even layer.
- Place six more slices of bread over top of the bacon.
- Spread on a layer of savory frosting, be sure to evenly distribute.
- Top with the chicken wing meat pieces in an even layer. NOTE: Optionally, you can sprinkle on the crumbled blue cheese evenly over the chicken in this step.
- Add six more pieces of bread.
Garnish Chicken Sandwich Cake
- Spread savory frosting over the top. Place Havarti cheese slices around the sides of the sandwich cake.
- Sprinkle on the shredded lettuce over the top of sandwich cake.
- Add bacon "roses" on top.
- Place thin slices of celery and carrots, in an alternating pattern around the sides of the sandwich cake. Use a little butter to help adhere to the cheese, if necessary. Add additional optional garnish to top, such as grapes, snipped chives and celery leaves.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.