This chicken salad sandwich without mayo is the perfect mix to pack for lunches or to take along on a road trip. You know how tempting these are at the coffee drive thru, why not make your own?
I love baking chicken breasts as part of meal prep because they form the basis of so many meals. Especially when cooking for my kids.
It’s so easy to dice chicken breasts and use them in super fast meals like chicken noodle soup and chicken alfredo penne. With already cooked chicken breasts, these meals are done in a snap!
Since we cook large batches of chicken breasts so often, there are many times that we have some leftover and ready to go.
That makes this chicken salad sandwich recipe an extremely easy and versatile mix for a last minute lunch.
Plus, whenever you have leftover turkey, you can sub that for chicken in this recipe.
Everyone loves it, and if you need to, you can make the children’s portion first (omit hot sauce and celery or onions if necessary).
Content in this Post
Ingredients in Chicken Salad Sandwich Without Mayo
- Chicken Breasts — use two cooked chicken breasts, seasoned or plain. If unseasoned, you can add a half teaspoon of an all purpose spice blend if you like. We baked ours with butter, hot sauce and all purpose seasoning, but you can use any cooked chicken (or leftover turkey!).
- Labneh — with texture and flavor similar to cream cheese, this thick yogurt is perfect for a great tasting creamy sandwich.
- Sour Cream — we use regular sour cream, not low calorie or fat free.
- Celery — chopped finely. You can omit if you don’t like them.
- Green Onions — chopped finely, you can sub chives or omit onions altogether if you’d rather.
- Hot Sauce — Frank’s red hot or your preferred hot sauce. Optional, but recommended for a flavor boost.
- Salt — we use ground Himalayan pink salt.
How To Make Chicken Salad Sandwich Without Mayo
It’s really simple to make this chicken salad sandwich, especially if you have leftover cooked chicken or turkey.
If you don’t have cooked chicken breasts, you can follow this easy recipe for oven baked seasoned chicken breasts.
It’s always a good idea to make a large batch of chicken breasts to use in a variety of recipes. If you accidentally make too much, you can always freeze them.
That way, you’ll have an easy meal option another time when you really need it!
So whenever you have leftover cooked chicken or turkey, all you need to do is dice it and combine in a bowl with the remaining ingredients.
Then choose your bread or enjoy it with lettuce wraps. Simple as that!
What to Serve With Chicken Salad Sandwich Without Mayo (Kycklingröra)
Chicken salad sandwiches make for the best quick lunch. You can use any bread you prefer. Our favorites are pita bread and low carb and gluten free Carbonaut bread.
You can add cooked bacon strips and vegetables to your sandwich. Lettuce, tomato and pickles go well with it.
You can add extra sauces to your sandwich, like BBQ, Southwest or ranch dressing, although it’s not necessary.
Store this mix in an air tight container in the fridge for up to three days. You can make the mix ahead of time so that it’s easy to prepare the sandwiches when needed.
More Sandwiches Without Mayo
Once you try labneh for sandwiches instead of mayo, you will never go back. This is the best ingredient for creamy, healthy and delicious sandwiches.
With a creamy consistency and flavor similar to cream cheese, it’s the perfect substitute for mayo. If you find it a little thick, add a spoon or two of sour cream or plain yogurt to the mix.
You will love it in all of these:
- Smoked salmon salad
- Canned salmon salad
- Tuna salad
- Shrimp salad
- Egg salad
- Lobster salad
- IKEA shrimp sandwich
You’ll Also Love
When you’re feeling festive, you can make a chicken sandwich cake with this chicken salad sandwich on the base layer.
It’s one mega sandwich with all of your favorite game day flavors!
Chicken Salad Sandwich Without Mayo (Kycklingröra)
Chicken Salad Sandwich Filling
- 2 Chicken Breasts , cooked, seasoned or plain
- ¾ Cup Labneh
- ¼ Cup Sour Cream
- 1 tablespoon Green Onion, or chives, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Celery, diced
- ½ tablespoon Honey Mustard
- 2 teaspoons Hot Sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Salt, Himalayan
Bread and Sandwich Toppings
- 4 Slices Bread, Carbonaut or other
- 4 Slices Lettuce
- 6 Slices Bacon, cooked, optional
- Place all ingredients into a medium sized bowl.
- Combine thoroughly.
- Use as a sandwich filling between bread of choice or in lettuce wraps. For low carb and gluten free bread, try Carbonaut. Optionally, add cooked bacon slices and lettuce.
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.