Guilt free chicken nuggets with a flavorful low carb almond parmesan coating that gets crispy when baked in the oven. Everyone loves these baked almond flour parmesan chicken nuggets. They’re easy and the kids can’t tell they’re healthy!
The perfect chicken dish for quick week night meals that will please everyone and make good use of chicken breasts or thighs.
Keep in mind, you need to be careful to ensure you don’t serve to anyone with a nut allergy. I wouldn’t send these to school in my kids lunch, just in case, but we make it for dinner when it’s just our family.
Content in this Post
Ingredients In Almond Flour Parmesan Chicken Nuggets
- Chicken Breast — or Chicken Thighs, cut into bite sized or nugget sized pieces
- Almond Flour — or also called almond meal, the almond flour should be finely ground
- Parmesan Cheese — freshly grated from a block of parmigiana reggiano cheese is preferred but can be pre-grated.
- Egg — use one with Omega 3 for the added health benefits.
- Seasoning Blend — we use 1 Tbsp of our All Purpose Seasoning Blend because it is great for chicken, as well as being milder and more kid friendly than our other seasoning blends.
Other Spice Blends to Try with Almond Flour Parmesan Chicken Nuggets
You can experiment with different spice blends each time you make this.
Our BBQ Spice Blend is another good option with even more flavor. Just use a tablespoon of this blend instead of the all purpose seasoning blend.
You can also try it with All Purpose Spicy Masala Seasoning if you like it even spicier (not recommended if serving to children). You would use a tablespoon of this seasoning instead of regular all purpose seasoning.
What to Serve With Almond Flour Parmesan Chicken Nuggets
Chicken nuggets can be served with homemade French fries made in an air fryer. You can even quickly whip up some mashed potatoes in your Instant Pot. We like to serve a vegetable like steamed broccoli and any salad like Italian style house or Caesar salad. Easy Instant Pot macaroni and cheese is another good side dish for kids.
You can use your favorite dip sauce for chicken nuggets. If you’re looking for something different try our Kebab sauce (kebabsås), inspired by Turkish donair sauce. We keep the flavor but use yogurt in our version instead of mayo or sour cream. Even though it’s lighter, and better for you – you can’t even tell!
When we’re lucky, we have some leftover kebab sauce from kebab pizzas – it’s perfect with chicken pitas and tastes great with these chicken nuggets as well!
Time Saving Chicken Nugget Coating Method
Once you have the chicken cut into pieces, you will need to coat the chicken with egg and then coat again with almond flour and parmesan.
This can be done by taking each piece of chicken into separate bowls one by one, using one hand dedicated per bowl, but to really save time you can try our quick coating method.
It’s simple with two quick steps (you still need two bowls – one with the whisked egg and another with the dry coating mix):
STEP 1: Place all of the chicken pieces into the first bowl with egg and coat evenly.
STEP 2: Pour the egg coated chicken pieces into the second bowl with almond flour parmesan seasoning and coat evenly.
Raw chicken should be used very soon after purchase and kept in the fridge for no longer than one or two days. If you won’t be making this within a day or two, it’s best to freeze the chicken and thaw it again for use.
Leftover baked chicken nuggets can be stored in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. They can also be frozen in a freezer safe container for up to three months.
Baked Almond Flour Parmesan Chicken Nuggets
- 1 pound Chicken Breasts, or boneless chicken thighs
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon All Purpose Spice Blend
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Pour all dry ingredients (flour, parmesan and spice blend) into a medium size mixing bowl.
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Crack the egg into a separate medium size mixing bowl (large enough to hold all chicken pieces).
- Beat the egg until well blended.
- Pour in the chicken with the egg and mix it well until all chicken pieces are fully coated with egg,
- Pour all the egg coated chicken pieces into the dry mix. Blend well until all chicken pieces are evenly coated with the almond flour parmesan spice mixture.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a large size baking tray. Evenly place the chicken pieces on the tray using salad tongs (to not strip off the coating from the chicken).
- Bake the chicken in the middle of the oven at 450°F (230°C) for eight minutes. After eight minutes, turn the chicken over and bake for an additional five minutes. When the time is up, check the internal temperature of the chicken pieces using a food thermometer. It should be above 165°F (74°C).
The above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. If you are following a specific diet or have dietary restrictions, please use your preferred nutritional calculator. If you have a food allergy please ensure that none of the listed ingredients are part of your restrictions. As well, always use a food thermometer to ensure safe cooking temperature of the food items.